Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
29ron

Default 1930 Murray Body Wood

I am about to embark on a journey that is not for the faint of heart. I am going to build/replace all of the wood in a 1930 Murray 4 door. I purchased this last year really cheap but in pieces. All of the wood was rotted or previously removed. I do have extensive wood working abilities and tools. I will not pay the $4000 + for a new wood kit. It is my goal to accomplish this task to benefit myself and the Mode A community. As my work progresses I will make patterns available to all who are interested. I will also document my journey with pictures and videos. Any advice, tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
Ron
29ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Hotrod 29

Default Re: 1930 Murray Body Wood

I am new to the barn but I would like to wish you good luck, I made 1pcs for my 29 murray fordor and it has to be perfect. Without a pcs to pattern I don't think it will be very easy to build. I just received my door wood and the detail is very intense and they tell me I will still have a major job even with the kit. Joe
Hotrod 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ron View Post
I am about to embark on a journey that is not for the faint of heart. I am going to build/replace all of the wood in a 1930 Murray 4 door. I purchased this last year really cheap but in pieces. All of the wood was rotted or previously removed. I do have extensive wood working abilities and tools. I will not pay the $4000 + for a new wood kit. It is my goal to accomplish this task to benefit myself and the Mode A community. As my work progresses I will make patterns available to all who are interested. I will also document my journey with pictures and videos. Any advice, tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
Ron
Sounds awesome! Welcome to Fordbarn!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

welcome
keep us posted
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

Welcome to the barn! I made some of my own wood for my 30 Briggs Town Sedan. Some but not all! I didn't try to make wood that was missing, only that which I had enough details to get the dimensions, holes, and locations from.
First, you will need a source for some 2" thick ash. Secondly, you will need a good vernier caliper, angle gauge, and at least a 24" Machinists scale. A 10" circular saw, A 6" belt sander, and probably a good band saw. You will find that there aren't many square angles used in the wood and all must be pretty closely duplicated. Some surfaces on some pieces you can fudge on, but it's best to duplicate as closely as possible. Go to my profile and get in my album "My A" and go through all my pics. I'll be glad to help you any way I can.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ron View Post
Any advice, tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
Ron
Hide all the booze and have a psychiatrist's number on the ready. I wish you the best of luck!! Having no wood to work from and seeing all the complex curves and angles will be one hell of a job.

This is the drawing for one of the ribs in a Victoria, all of them are different. How would one know that the length of the rib is 44 15/16th without a drawing or old wood. The specifications called out for the wood are +- .010" and all the ribs are different.

Like i said I have to hand it to you for wanting to undertake such an endeavor,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-A-192282 roof rib 3.jpg (25.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-16-2015, 01:01 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

In the process of making the wood for my delivery as accurate patterns come availiable. Not near as daunting as a fordor, but still a challenge. More of a problem finding patterns. Have bought afew prints from the Benson, but the cost is higher than my budget allows. Rod
Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
MichaelSchwarzer

Hi Ron,

we replaced all the wood in a 30 Briggs Town Sedan. We made the wood pieces ourselves, but hat the original wood as a pattern, rotten but at least there. See webpage below.
I can hardly image how to accomplish the task without a pattern. If we can be of any assistance please ask.

Looking forward to follow your project,

Michael
Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Skibb

The process of assembly and "reworking" those kits for our 1930 Briggs Sedan over a very hot, humid Florida summer was tough. I wouldn't want take on your job Ron without a pattern. However, I wish you every success. One axiom is worth mentioning "never throw anything away". Your junk today is tomorrow's pattern.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote