Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default Front brake drums

Replacing the drums on my 53 Ford Ranchwagon. The drums come without the hubs. There seems to be a collar at the bottom of the stud threads on my drums. I assume that the hubs are swedged on to the drum. Not sure when the change took place from swedged wheel studs to splined wheel studs. I don't want to start pressing if mine are swedged. Anyone know how I might separate the hubs from the drum? Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Front brake drums

As I recall those drums should separate from the hub. I suspect rust/dirt, etc. is holding them onto the hub. Also look for some small clips on two or more of the studs as they may be holding the drum to the hub. They can easily be pried off.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
As I recall those drums should separate from the hub. I suspect rust/dirt, etc. is holding them onto the hub. Also look for some small clips on two or more of the studs as they may be holding the drum to the hub. They can easily be pried off.
Thanks..I don't see any of the clips that you mention. I am familiar with them. There just seems to be a slight collar/bulge at the base of the wheel studs, but maybe that is just part of the drum itself. I will let it soak another day and then see what the press does. Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
oldskool

I read somewhere to remove the swedge you get a 5/8 or 9/16 not sure witch, hole saw made for metal and lightly remove some metal from around stud and it should do the trick
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
I read somewhere to remove the swedge you get a 5/8 or 9/16 not sure witch, hole saw made for metal and lightly remove some metal from around stud and it should do the trick
That sounds like a plan. Thanks
Old 02-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
Karl Wolf

Centerpunch and drill them from behind. A bit of work- but the best. Use a 1/4" or 5/16" bit, then a 9/16 or maybe a 5/8"bit.The object is to remove the back of the stud. Drive the stuid out with a punch.

(IF you don't have a swedge cutter: the "hole saw" mentioned above.)

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The Lincoln & Mercury cars started to use bolt on drums in 1949 but Ford stayed with the unitized set up for a little while longer. They will work as a bolt on if they fit the center hole with a snug fit. The bolts Ford used for the front hubs were P/N 8A-1107-A and they are 1/2"-20 X 1 3/8" long. Dorman likely has some knurled ones that would fit the hub. A lot of them were separated by previous owners so you never know what you will find now days. If they are swaged, you can see it. If not, then they're just stuck on there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #8
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
Centerpunch and drill them from behind. A bit of work- but the best. Use a 1/4" or 5/16" bit, then a 9/16 or maybe a 5/8"bit.The object is to remove the back of the stud. Drive the stuid out with a punch.

(IF you don't have a swedge cutter: the "hole saw" mentioned above.)

Karl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Lincoln & Mercury cars started to use bolt on drums in 1949 but Ford stayed with the unitized set up for a little while longer. They will work as a bolt on if they fit the center hole with a snug fit. The bolts Ford used for the front hubs were P/N 8A-1107-A and they are 1/2"-20 X 1 3/8" long. Dorman likely has some knurled ones that would fit the hub. A lot of them were separated by previous owners so you never know what you will find now days. If they are swaged, you can see it. If not, then they're just stuck on there.
After a closer look, I believe they are swedged. I will drill/cut the old ones out. Thanks for the info...