Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
P.S.

Default Looking for Model T for wife. Prices seem a lot higher than expected. Why?

Wife and I have a stock Model A that we restored (mechanically and cosmetically) ourselves and we drive all over the place. It has been a VERY useful car, not just a "toy".

Wife really wants a Model T for use as a 'farmer's market' car. I thought, hey why not?! If the wife is showing that kind of interest in old cars, it is certainly my job to help her out, right?

So, I have been shopping Model T's in Hemmings and elsewhere for the last 4-5 months. Was always under the impression that a Model T was going to be a lot more affordable. However, for a car or pickup that is running and decently driveable, pricing seems on par with a Model A. Is there ever a time, like an 'off season', when T prices drop?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Looking for Model T for wife. Prices seem a lot higher than expected. Why?

Look on ebay or Craigs list. Remember that a lot of times if they are for sale in some venues the price will be higher then market. In any case you should be able to get into a Huckster type T for under $10,000 which in most cases for a nice A would still be less. Look for Depot Hack or Huckster. If you look on ebay after you set your search parameters you can do an advance search and see what has sold or not sold and at what kind of price.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
bart78

Default Re: Looking for Model T for wife. Prices seem a lot higher than expected. Why?

Look for a older restoration. And some of it might be location.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
P.S.

Thanks, guys.

Yea, for the prices I'm seeing (for the level of T we are seeking), looks like a Model A would be less costly.

I think I'll just try and talk her into getting another Model A for what she wants.

A couple years ago, I kept hearing about guys picking up restored T's for way under $10K (like $5-8K) and was expecting something closer to that range now. Well, guess those days are gone.

Another option, since we're very young, maybe the prices will dip again someday and we can revisit this at that time.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
redmodelt

Anyway something to think about. Has your wife ever driven a Model T? If not she should find someone in the area and get a lesson or two driving one. The Model A is way more easy to drive then a Model T , you don't just jump in a T and go like the A. (That is not saying she can't because there are a number of lady's that can and do drive them.) Also if you keep looking in Hemmings you will keep seeing the high prices. There are plenty of very nice restored T's for under $10K unless you are looking for brass era T's which you don't say.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
J Franklin

I doubt you can find a restored Model A for 5-8K either. here is one that runs and drives but still need a bit to be reliable you can have for $5000. I was using it for a fair exhibit at our museum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg as found.jpg (73.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg found T.jpg (83.7 KB, 121 views)
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #7
P.S.

Thank you again, guys.

We are aware of how a T is operated. Agreed, one does not simply jump in a T and go. Though, it would be funny to watch some know-it-all try. I suspect it would be like watching a chimp try to use a cellphone.

My observation was that for the amount of money that is apparently needed for a Model T in the minimum condition we would like, we would possibly be better off just getting her a Model A. She just specifically requested a T, so I was going off of that. Like I said, if she is showing that kind of interest, I don't want to say "no". From what I have read here, very few wives want an antique car of their own (not just ride along in husband's antique car).

It took a couple years to restore the Model A, but she doesn't want to go to that length on this. She seems to want a Model T that can be driven safely and reliably but isn't concerned over the cosmetics.

Our A was cosmetically OK, but mechanically horrible when we got it. It was a do-over and she doesn't want to burden me with a total body-off teardown project for this to happen. Honestly, I'm quite thankful for that!

We use our Model A a lot. However, after the compete rebuild of everything, then interior and paint, etc., we have more of a showpiece than she would like for her pleasure use. She's a little afraid to drive it, though she is very capable.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
fordf1trucknut

They are out there just keep looking. I picked up our t this summer for 6k and it has a completely rebuilt drivetrain.

I learned to drive it and have no issues. However my wife still has NOT! She is very capable and drives all our other older cars. (30 a, 50 f-1, 52 f-1, 56 Vicky) but the t scares her a bit especially in tight spots/traffic.
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
bart78

I know where a 1917 touring car is. That will probably come up for sale. The old man died and gave it to his grandson. That was three years ago. He has not come to pick it up. He tried and did not know how to start it. The old mans son is ready to sell the house and all. I know the title is still in the old mans name and has never been transferred. It will go for cheap. It was restored in the 80's with original parts.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
P.S.

Sounds good, please share the info.

Feel free to send a PM if you wish to keep the info hush. Might be beneficial.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
CharlieB

Ford1 has it right. They are out there and rather decent in the $65/7500 range. Hemmigs is about the worst place to look for a bargain anyway. The prices are unreasonable. Your totally best bet (experience talkin' here) is to find and old timer with a T whose looking to get rid of it. I've had this happen to me twice and got 2 great '23 Tourings that way. I could have driven the second one home it was that nice. I'm going to say something that I feel is true: You're not going to get a decent price from a "T guy". That is someone that's put in some work and knows T's. Again experience talkin'. I made nice profits on both those 23's after clean-up & repairs.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
P.S.

Excellent information.

We are not looking for a car to 'flip' or make a profit, we are looking for a car or truck for the wife to use for her trips to town and puttering around the area. She also likes to carry some produce or eggs from our farm to the market, but with style. Our Model A is "too nice" and she is nervous about using it this way. Besides, she likes the horseless carriage look and the simplicity.

Thank you again.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Thanks, guys.

Yea, for the prices I'm seeing (for the level of T we are seeking), looks like a Model A would be less costly.
A couple years ago, I kept hearing about guys picking up restored T's for way under $10K (like $5-8K)
In america those prices are common so i am led to believe.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
Dodge

Look on Craigslist, best bet. There is one in Nevada City, Ca. a 1925 Roadster older restoration looks like a decent car. $6500. Punch in Craigslist Gold County .. 1924 to 1925
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #15
Dodge

You can easily remove the turtle deck on this Roadster and make up a wooden pickup
bed for her also. It was done a lot in the day.

Dodge
Old 10-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
P.S.

Thanks, Dodge! Found it.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #17
jrhoa2

I realize you are out in California, but I am currently trying to help a long time family friend sell her husbands TT here in Minnesota. I made a post asking about value in another thread. There are some pictures in the other thread. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149980 She is asking 7K or best offer for it. It sounds like her son will be doing the required maintenance to get it back up and running after sitting for a few years.
jrhoa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #18
Dodge

P.S.
I hope it works out, let us know what happens...

Dodge
Old 10-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #19
Dodge

Also a 1923 Touring in Chico craigslist
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
P.S.

Thanks jrhoa2. However, that is a case where you will be trying to get top dollar. We are looking for a bargain. Also, looking for something more local where we could see it together first.

Will do, Dodge.