Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
MadmanWilson

Default ignition in 36 ford pickup

Im looking to either rebuild the original distributor in my 36 truck or go with electronic ignition. Id like to convert it to 12 volt as well. Any suggestions on what to go with if I go electronic? I saw speedway motors had one for the 36 flathead v8.
MadmanWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: ignition in 36 ford pickup

I suggest rebuilding your old unit and driving on down the road...
Cheaper to do and the helmet is one of Fords best ever made, once cleaned up and broken in with good parts...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

If that '36 distributor is done right, it will work reliably for many thousands of miles at 6 volts. Sometimes change just for the sake of change is not always good.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

Rebuild stock is the best advice you can get.Another rebuilder of them. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Contry to what most believe the diver Dan (Helmet ) distributor is the Nice's unit Ford made set up correctly with high quality points in 6 volt can be very reliable after all ford made thousands of them . here's a shot of the repoped 6 or 12 32 coil I am developing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010003_1079.jpg (33.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1010006_1095.jpg (43.4 KB, 29 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 09-09-2013 at 01:22 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
MadmanWilson

Sounds like I should just get it rebuilt, then. There must be some issues with the electronic ignitions for these since it is pretty common advice from what I've seen thus far!

For the 12 volt conversion I found an adapter at Mac's that can attach to the top of the original distributor and connect to a standard 12v coil - or it was suggested I could have the original coil rebuilt for 12v as well.
MadmanWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
rheltzel

I have a rebuilt distributor and coil by John Shelor of Virginia in my '35 and it works perfectly. John installs the internals from an 01A distributor which has more spark advance than the original, giving a slight performance advantage with modern fuels. He has a unique process for rebuilding coils and guarantees his work. The combination of properly rebuilt distributor and high voltage coil transformed the way my original '35 engine runs.

Skip Haney also has an excellent reputation for distributor and coil rebuilds.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
rheltzel

Oh, and John's phone number is: 540-639-2065
Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
I have a rebuilt distributor and coil by John Shelor of Virginia in my '35 and it works perfectly. John installs the internals from an 01A distributor which has more spark advance than the original, giving a slight performance advantage with modern fuels. He has a unique process for rebuilding coils and guarantees his work. The combination of properly rebuilt distributor and high voltage coil transformed the way my original '35 engine runs.

Skip Haney also has an excellent reputation for distributor and coil rebuilds.
Does John Shelor actually rebuild/rewind the coils with modern high temperature insulated magnet wire? I thought I once read in the V-8 Times that he just drives the existing moisture from the inside of the original type coils by some type of oven baking process.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
rheltzel

John,

Not sure. I don't think he does what Skip Haney does in terms of modernizing the coils with modern innards, but whatever he does, it sure works. Since I installed one his rebuilt distributors and moisture evacuated coils, my engine hasn't hiccuped even once...it's running perfectly.

But I've heard nothing but good things about Skip's work and in fact have a distributor/coil combination he rebuilt for me as a "reserve" unit. I haven't tried installing it, as I had just put John's in, but I'm sure it's excellent, too.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
FlatheadTed

Here's one of John Shelors ,I have done some testing on this coil and it gives a good strong spark ,These are dried out in Nitrogen ,Nice guy to deal with, I see no reason why you wouldn't get years of use out of them .I had a lengthy talk yesterday with a 80- year old world renown air craft Magneto winder he did work for Malory .He developed a process for epoxy potting coils all the moister was purged out using a special process he developed . They have had no aircraft accidents due to ignition in many years . We were discussing what happens to a coil when the rice paper and pitch adsorbs moisture .A lot of knowledge there that will be lost .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2331.jpg (18.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 09-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanWilson View Post
Sounds like I should just get it rebuilt, then. There must be some issues with the electronic ignitions for these since it is pretty common advice from what I've seen thus far!

For the 12 volt conversion I found an adapter at Mac's that can attach to the top of the original distributor and connect to a standard 12v coil - or it was suggested I could have the original coil rebuilt for 12v as well.
YES sounds like you have the right picture, get your helmet rebuilt, and go 12 volts. ..Please read the " More ""crab"" Praise " ... its a good read, and see some of the work Bubbas dose, and he is in Indiana (speedway ave)..he rebuilds helmets too.... OLD.....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

There is a down side to a 12 volt conversion that is you can break Bendix springs ,and I have seen them with the ring gear pushed of the fly wheel .there are some positives like running your GPS and radio and lights .You can do all this with 6 volts but you need heaver cables and corts bulbs .plus a 12 volt battery is more accessible on the side of the road ,I know Skip Hanny also does good work .there are new windings in his coils . .

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 09-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.