Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Sid

Default Wilson Welding backing plates

Does anyone know the application of the wheel cylinder for the 39 Lincoln style Bendix brakes from Wilson welding? Brake shoe application would be appreciated also. I am talking the fronts. This was included when I bought the parts but I accidently burned the box. I'm also trying to figure out what hoses to use. Somewhere about 16" would work fine on my 34 Ford. It seems that the mewer hoses aren't designed to use the spring horse shoe clip like seen on the older cars. I see the newer hoses have a round stationary clip that is further back and useless to me. ..Thanks

Last edited by Sid; 06-25-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:24 AM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: Wilson Welding backing plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Does anyone know the application of the wheel cylinder for the 39 Lincoln style Bendix brakes from Wilson welding? Brake shoe application would be appreciated also. I am talking the fronts. This was included when I bought the parts but I accidently burned the box. I'm also trying to figure out what hoses to use. Somewhere about 16" would work fine on my 34 Ford. It seems that the mewer hoses aren't designed to use the spring horse shoe clip like seen on the older cars. I see the newer hoses have a round stationary clip that is further back and useless to me. ..Thanks
I got My hoses from " Van Pelts " they look different but they fit and the horse shoe clip works. I ordered for a 39 Ford. I think he's also got the Lincoln brake shoes and cylinders. I Put the " MT/Boling Bros Kit "on my 36 pickup. Raybestos cylinders, no leaks.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
glennpm

Give them a call. They have a good reputation on the HAMB.

http://www.wilsonweldingandmachine.com/

Wilson Welding
2224 Sleepy Lagoon
Flower Mound, TX 75022
Phone: 214-662-9483

er Mound, TX 750
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Give them a call. They have a good reputation on the HAMB.

http://www.wilsonweldingandmachine.com/

Wilson Welding
2224 Sleepy Lagoon
Flower Mound, TX 75022
Phone: 214-662-9483

er Mound, TX 750

Glenn has the best advice above....call 'em! I've looked all over the H.A.M.B. last night and keep seeing reference to Buick parts, but I could find NO specifics.

I've also read in the past that Wilson's EARLY plates had no provision for adjusting the upper ANCHOR BOLT, making it difficult (if not impossible) to "center" the brake shoes in the drum. If that anchor bolt HOLE is not slotted so that the bolt will adjust UPward or DOWNward, I would abandon them and get yourself some BOLING BROS./MT PRODUCTS backing plates. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Sid

The issue I have is I want end # 2 (right side) of the hose. to fit 3/16 tube brake line. Notice the short collar on the r. side of hose. . I had a hose house make me up some hoses and they have the long collar so I can't use the horse shoe clips. Male end looks to be flare type. 7/16. It does not seal with the copper washer like the 40's do. That's why I need to figure out what wheel cyls. Bob uses so it can possibly help me get an over the counter hose. One side is okay. Only have an issue on one side due to lack of real estate under the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b hose.jpg (8.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg brake hose end.jpg (5.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
19Fordy

Here's the brake shoe info. on brakes shoes that fit Bolling Bros. backing plates. Perhaps they will fit the Wilson Kit also as the backing [plates should be the same, I would think.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/.../#post-8923244

The Brake Shoe and Wheel Cylinder Information below is from MT Products but may fit Wilson Welding kit also. Call Wilson and see.
4/8/2011 I called MT Products (559-684-8600 and spoke with Derick. He told me the following:
Larger bore 1 1/8 in. wheel cylinder goes on the front wheels, smaller bore 1 in. wheel cylinder goes on the rear wheels. Wheel cylinder info. as follows: Raybestos WC 7536 (right front) and WC 7537 (left front) are 1 1/8 in. bore-ports angle towards rear of car.
Raybestos wheel cylinders WC (left rear) and WC 7564 (right rear) are 1 in. bore

To replace the 2 in MT Products Brake shoes ask for Raybestos brake show number 340PG or get them from MT Products.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-26-2021 at 04:19 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #7
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Wheel cylinder info. as follows: Raybestos WC 7536 (right front) and WC 7537 (left front) are 1 1/8 in. bore-ports angle towards rear of car.
Raybestos wheel cylinders WC (left rear) and WC 7564 (right rear) are 1 in. bore[/B]

To replace the 2 in MT Products Brake shoes ask for Raybestos brake show number 340PG or get them from MT Products.
For what it's worth, the 7536 and 7537 are for Buick 1956-1957, Cadillac 1950-1951 and the rears 7564 seem to have a lot of applications, but the rear of a 1960-64 Pontiac Bonneville or Grand Prix will get you there.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
38bill

The rears of my BB Lincoln brakes use the 7564 and the 7563. I believe that the difference is the angle of the brake line inlet so the inlets face the same direction.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
Sid

Thanks Guys.. I got a hold of Bob. The wheel cylinders are Wagner WC35325/26 and shoes are #340. I think cyls. are late 60's Bronco. FYI these are units I purchased recently. The wheel cyls. are a 5/16x24 thread. My brake steel line is a 3/8x24 thread. I found that 73 Jeep CJ6 hose was a good fit at about 15 1/2" long. (# BH 16179 Raybestos). That hose also is found on several mid 50's Ford cars on the rear also. I hope this helps anyone planning this upgrade.

Last edited by Sid; 07-01-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Hey Sid .....As I alluded to above in post #4, do your WILSON backing plates have the "fixed", or the "adjustable" anchor bolt up at the top of the plate? Like I said in post #4, Wilson's EARLY plates had no elongated SLOT at the top of the plate, which would not allow for adjustment, hence....you couldn't 'CENTER' the brake shoes with relation to the drum. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #11
Sid

I had these apart to chrome the backing plate but did not notice the anchor pin hole being elongated. I put everything back together after the chrome job and went together very nice. On the car now with the Buick drums and adjusted. All I did was upgrade from the 40 Ford Lockheed brakes. I just bought the backing plates from Wilson Welding about 3 months ago so I figure these are the latest ones. This is at least the fourth set of Wilsons I've used with the Buick drums and all have worked very well. Getting the brake hose figured out on this 34 was my only problem on this one. There is absolutely no Real Estate under these early Fords when upgrading.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #12
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I had these apart to chrome the backing plate but did not notice the anchor pin hole being elongated. I put everything back together after the chrome job and went together very nice. On the car now with the Buick drums and adjusted. All I did was upgrade from the 40 Ford Lockheed brakes. I just bought the backing plates from Wilson Welding about 3 months ago so I figure these are the latest ones. This is at least the fourth set of Wilsons I've used with the Buick drums and all have worked very well. Getting the brake hose figured out on this 34 was my only problem on this one. There is absolutely no Real Estate under these early Fords when upgrading.
That elongated hole was the deciding factor in my decision to use Boling Bros backing plates. The shoes center up nicely.

Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote