Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Andy

Default Original 32 lifters with 8BA vlaves

I am thinking of using the original lifters but would be using the later valves. I have seen lifters with a reduced area where the valve hits. Are they required or can I have the original lifters resurfaced and use them?
Stock cam and springs. Stock original everything except the valves and guides.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Original 32 lifters with 8BA vlaves

This has been asked by many, including me. I guess the answer lies with the fact nobody has stepped forward to say they have done it and had any failure. For what it's worth.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Andy

Thanks, I was hoping one of the rebuilder experts would chime in. Maybe I will cut one up and see how much material is under the top.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

For starters I know nothing about using this combination. But, I would assume Ford used the mushroomed valve stems for a reason. The straight valve stems would concentrate the valve train load on a smaller area of the lifter. This may or may not be an issue with a stock cam and valve springs, however, Ford seemed to think it required a larger surface area on the valve stems. You would think these would be more expensive to manufacture than a straight valve stem so deemed required. Just my thoughts, again, zero experience with this combination!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Karl Wolf

I remember hearing that the earlier lifters don't have the strength for the smaller size valve ends. I would try getting a set of lifters from an 8BA, cheap in relation to going back in to fix.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Curious, is there a particular reason/advantage for using these?

Are these the type of solid stock lifters that have have sides that are hollowed out like a Johnson?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Brian

I have removed early lifters from engines that were used in conjunction with 8BA valves, and the top of the lifters are invariably quite indented from the smaller footprint valve stems. I have 'heard' of the stems actually punching a hole clear through the top of the lifter[s], but not seen it. In my opinion, not a good way to go....
Old 07-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I am thinking of using the original lifters but would be using the later valves. I have seen lifters with a reduced area where the valve hits. Are they required or can I have the original lifters resurfaced and use them?
Stock cam and springs. Stock original everything except the valves and guides.
The "contact-point" where the valve tip rests on the lifter tops needs a very small radius, they should NOT be "flat"?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With respect to the "small" valve tip areas and the tops of your existing lifters, you can increase that area by using some lash caps on the valve stem ends, but they'd need to be configured in initially! I also agree with the above post, this doesn't sound like a "sound" plan??
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
Pete

If the contact area on the top of the lifter is the same diameter as the valve stem and flat, they will work fine.
Most of the 8ba lifters were HOLLOW cast iron with slots in the side. These are the ones you usually see with the hole punched in the top. The hollow early STEEL lifters with only 2 5/32 holes in the side are the ones to be using. These are the ones the lightweight racing lifters are made from.
I disagree with Gary about the surface finish on the top of the lifter. Both the valve AND the lifter contact surface should be FLAT and at least a 15 micro inch finish. The smaller the contact surface is, the higher the unit pressure is and the more likely either the lifter or the valve stem will mushroom out. While a convex surface may get by in a street engine for awhile because the loading is within the point contact max. value for the material involved, It wouldn't last a main event in a race engine turning 7000 twice a lap.
My thinking is if it lasts in an all out race engine, it will outlast the life of a street engine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #10
Lawrie

I have straight valves in the engine in our 33 ,I used the lifters as above and stock cam and springs, that engine has about 70,000 kms on it and is still nice.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:13 AM   #11
flatheadmurre

The early cast hollow lifters are the only type i see from time to time that have cracks in them...for that reason i stay away from them with any type of valves.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:56 AM   #12
Lawrie

I think also that using the stock spring seat pressure helps .
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote