Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Capt Kirk

Default Speedometer/Air raid siren

I've been putting some miles on the 35 the last few days and the Max's rebuilt carb has the car running better than it ever has! Anyway, on the way to work this morning, with the top down, a few miles down the road the car instantly started making a loud hellacious squealing noise. After a little investigation, I thought it was the speedo cable because after a little wiggling of the cable it quit. On my way back home, it started again with a vengeance. I couldn't tell if the dog walkers and joggers were looking at the car or wondering why I was signaling the next apocalypse! It was loud! Half way home the needle was reading 85MPH and then fell off and the sound got louder. The cable is a new replacement when I restored the car and to my knowledge the spedo has never been serviced. What in God's name is inside a spedo that can make that kind of noise and is there anyone that can rebuild it? In the mean time, I will unscrew the cable.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Speedometer/Air raid siren

Had the same squealing noise happen several years ago in my '35 fordor sedan on a cross country tour. I was pretty sure it was coming from the speedometer cable, so I pulled over and unscrewed the speedometer cable from behind the speedometer head. I totally removed the inner drive cable and stored it in a plastic bag until I arrived at the hotel where we were spending the night. I picked up a tube of dry powder graphite lube at an auto supply store, and that evening I wiped all the old gummy lube from the cable and applied graphite powder to the entire length of the cable, and put the inner cable back into the outer jacket. I fastened the cable back on the speedo and gave it a test drive. This totally eliminated that squealing noise for the last several years.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
40cpe

It sounds like the bearing or bushing in the speedo head gave up the ghost.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
fourfords

Unhook the cable from the speedometer. spray a DRY LUBRICANT inside the cable then reconnect. If if the "Siren" happens again, Hit the deck and avoid being strafed by enemy aircraft!
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
Paul Bennett

Key carbon lubrican comes in a small can. Made to squirt into door locks.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 AM   #6
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
Unhook the cable from the speedometer. spray a DRY LUBRICANT inside the cable then reconnect. If if the "Siren" happens again, Hit the deck and avoid being strafed by enemy aircraft!
"land Stuka"

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Capt Kirk

Looks like most responses think it's the cable. I will dry lube that and see if it works. If it does, is there a way I can get into the spedo to put the indicator needle back on? If it doesn't work, is there someone that can rebuild the spedo or do I need to start shopping for another?
Thanks
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

All of you guys suggested a dry lubrication such as a graphite powder. Just out of curiosity, what would be wrong with lubricating the cable with white lithium grease? Just wondering in case I ever have this problem.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #9

Capt Kirk, It's relelatively easy to take the speedo housing apart, (with the speedo out of the car). Push the needle back onto its pin and see if it holds tight. If not try a VERY small dab of glue on the pin and put your needle on. Good luck.
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Marv

Smile Re: Speedometer/Air raid siren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
All of you guys suggested a dry lubrication such as a graphite powder. Just out of curiosity, what would be wrong with lubricating the cable with white lithium grease? Just wondering in case I ever have this problem.
Seth I do not think you could beat Lithium grease but you would need the cable out of the housing to do it.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Mart

I had the same thing on my model A, Old Rusty. I was glad I traced the noise to the speedo because I was just about to start pulling the engine and transmission! I disconnected the cable at the gearbox and to be honest, it's still disconnected. I assumed it was a dry bearing in the speedo, rather than the cable. It's just one more thing on the to do list.

Re the lube on the cable, many years ago I had a speedo that was bouncing and I used light oil to lube the cable. It still bounced like mad. I wiped it clean and used normal grease, like you use in wheel bearings. The speedo needle was nice and smooth after that. It is as if the cable needs the grease as a damper. Anyway, that's what worked for me, your results may vary.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Seth I do not think you could beat Lithium grease but you would need the cable out of the housing to do it.
Thanks. I pulled a cable out of a 51 Crestliner 2 years ago and lubed it with white lithium grease and it has worked well since. Just checking.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
Ross F-1

On my '52 truck, the speedo has an oil point just ahead of the rear cable connection, you might put some 3-in-1 there if yours has it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedo3.jpg (38.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
rotorwrench

Speedometers of the old variety functioned by the rotating of a magnet inside a close fitting cup that was attached to a clock spring and the indicator needle through a small shaft with little tiny bearings (generally jewel bearings). Hopefully it is just a dry bushing on the magnet drive end. If the bushing gets too worn, the magnet will start touching the drag cup and it will make a hell of a racket. If it calms down after lubing the bushing as shown by Ross F1 then it should go some more miles. If not, the bushing is likely worn out.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
nelsb01

Graphite vs grease and or lithium --- over time grease and lithium will dry out and cause the problem you are trying to fix.
Either dry graphite or liquid graphite will be better after you clean the cable.
Like JM 35 Sedan says, clean the old gummy lube off.
Happened on my 49 -- cleaned and used liquid graphite. The floating needle and the screaming have ceased.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
fourfords

In addition to all the above, a dry lubricant does not attract or retain dust or dry out. That's why most everywhere on the vehicle that accepts oil or grease, a "Dust cover" is usually provided.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote