Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
FordToughChevyStuff

Default Update on my 30 Coupe

I thought I would give an update because I am so excited about the car.

Just a reminder, I purchased an all original 1930 Model A coupe about 3 weeks ago in Montana. The car sat in a barn from 1940 until now. I just spent the last two weeks getting everything mechanically sound and it has been a complete BLAST. Learning all about how these Model A's run and work is surprisingly exciting for me, as I am only 25 years old. Maybe its the simplicity of how these cars work that excites me. I have always been fairly good at working on cars, so these Model A's come naturally for me and it feels good when you can fix issues yourself.

I just rebuilt the carb, installed a new distributor, cap and rotor, and a few other things and the car runs absolutely perfect. I took it for the first test drive last night around town and it ran and drove like a dream.

I was initially planning on turning this car into a hotrod but I am really rethinking my decision. I don't even know if I want to restore it right now, I am just going to drive it for a while and let the car tell me what to do

Here is a pic of the Coupe in my driveway:

FordToughChevyStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Update on my 30 Coupe

Drive it as it is ! ! You can't reproduce that patina without spending a lot of money. As long as it's mechanically good I would drive it like it is. Love the wheels/tires. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Drive it as it is ! ! You can't reproduce that patina without spending a lot of money. As long as it's mechanically good I would drive it like it is. Love the wheels/tires. JMO
Paul in CT
I have had more comments on those rims and tires than anything else on the car. Obviously that is the only thing that didn't come original, but they sure look and drive nicely
Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Had a friend who found a "Barn Find" 1930 Chevrolet for $100.00 in about 1958 which had about 40,000 original miles, & everything else original.

He received several offers for this hidden treasure in the thousands but refused & after driving it for about 3 months, he tore out the original upholstery & installed red & white vinyl. Next he cut 3" out of the height of the windshield & all around the upper cab & installed dark smoke glass.

Changed to 12 volts, added some J. C. Whitney ornaments, jewels, & upgrades, & painted it yellow with flames. He got tired of it & parked it in his front yard with an asking price of $2,000.00 which dwindled down to a sale of $100.00. The next guy kept it about 6 months & had the junk man later picked it up & hauled it off.

Can't remember how many times later he recounted how he wished that he would have it like original today.

As mentioned so often on vintage vehicle forums, each to his own & when it is yours, it is yours to decide what to do.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
lajones

It looks perfect they way it is...drive it and enjoy!
lajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordToughChevyStuff View Post
I thought I would give an update because I am so excited about the car.

Just a reminder, I purchased an all original 1930 Model A coupe about 3 weeks ago in Montana. The car sat in a barn from 1940 until now. I just spent the last two weeks getting everything mechanically sound and it has been a complete BLAST. Learning all about how these Model A's run and work is surprisingly exciting for me, as I am only 25 years old. Maybe its the simplicity of how these cars work that excites me. I have always been fairly good at working on cars, so these Model A's come naturally for me and it feels good when you can fix issues yourself.

I just rebuilt the carb, installed a new distributor, cap and rotor, and a few other things and the car runs absolutely perfect. I took it for the first test drive last night around town and it ran and drove like a dream.

I was initially planning on turning this car into a hotrod but I am really rethinking my decision. I don't even know if I want to restore it right now, I am just going to drive it for a while and let the car tell me what to do

Here is a pic of the Coupe in my driveway:

Good Start - Rainmaker
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
700rpm

You've made two very wise decisions so far: you didn't rod it, and you took the time to learn how to make it run. Now go play with it as is and enjoy all the compliments you will receive. You will never, ever regret leaving it stock.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
You've made two very wise decisions so far: you didn't rod it, and you took the time to learn how to make it run. Now go play with it as is and enjoy all the compliments you will receive. You will never, ever regret leaving it stock.
Thanks 700, appreciate it. One thing I have learned so far is that these cars are genuinely pretty reliable if you are knowledgeable about how they should run. A guy at my local Model A shop told me he drives his car 20 miles to work everyday and it never misses a beat. I am thoroughly enjoying the learning experience.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Ed H.

Dont destroy the car. Drive and fix up as $$ allow. At 25 that car will bring you many returns when you hit 50 ish.

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
markyb

Congratulations on getting it running! The car is in GREAT shape for having sat so long. There's a ton of project cars in pieces that I could understand the owners wanting to hot rod and cut up, you have a nice piece of history. I have a neighbor that found a '14 Model T in a small shed behind our house, he's so worried about ruining the original patina that he drives around with the wooden frame seats with wool blankets for padding! (the animals got to the interior and canvas top a LONG time ago) The guys are right, you'll never re-create the patina once it's gone...ENJOY! and don't worry about anyone thinking at your age that your car is not "cool"
markyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
markyb

One other thought, I met a fellow with a 50 year old VW that was all original, he was doing something with oil or WD40 and maybe a plastic scrubber to remove rust and lubricate the bare metal to stop further rusting. The non abrasive method kept the paint intact. Since it looks like you're in a state with occasional rain, maybe some members here can suggest something to help you with a procedure to do the same.
markyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

NICE!! I'd fix the roof though. Drive it you will like it.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
chudm71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT
Dito...
chudm71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
JimK1930A

I like it just the way it is.
Mine is an original barn find too, but mechanically restored for touring and safety.
Have fun with what is left of the summer.
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyb View Post
Congratulations on getting it running! The car is in GREAT shape for having sat so long. There's a ton of project cars in pieces that I could understand the owners wanting to hot rod and cut up, you have a nice piece of history. I have a neighbor that found a '14 Model T in a small shed behind our house, he's so worried about ruining the original patina that he drives around with the wooden frame seats with wool blankets for padding! (the animals got to the interior and canvas top a LONG time ago) The guys are right, you'll never re-create the patina once it's gone...ENJOY! and don't worry about anyone thinking at your age that your car is not "cool"
Thanks. Yeah I can't believe this car doesn't have any rust spots or dents. There are a few cracks and a few small dings in the fenders but other than that it is completely straight.