Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
conservationist

Default Diode/Cutout Help Needed

Diode help needed.

Replaced the cutout on my 1930 truck with a diode conversion because I just couldn't depend on the cutout (90% of the time no charge and continually low battery). But I have a question. I still am reading no positive amps on amp meter (in dash) but do get a major negative reading when I turn on the lights/horn, etc. so I'm assuming the meter works.

So, with the cutout (when it worked) you had to have some fairly high RPM's going to get a charge --- what about with the diode? Took the truck down the road, up to 35 mph (in town) and didn't register a thing. Same with reving engine but I'm hesitant to ramp it up too high without a load. I'm 99.2% sure I did the conversion correctly since it wasn't rocket science, but ........ Just so you know, I soldered the small diode wire to the bracket has the two small rivets. That would be opposite the side that attaches by "nut" to the generator housing.

I've read a huge number of posts speaking that this conversion is the best thing since sliced bread -- but not sure mine is working -- any advice?

Thanks much,

Bob in Boise
conservationist is offline   Reply With Quote