Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
Shoovel

Default Columbia O/D

Folks,
I am a new flathead owner. Just purchased a 39 Ford Standard Coupe with the Columbia O/D. Is there any special/different oil for it? What is the best procedure for shifting? I haven’t tried it yet.
ps: I removed the upper plug on the banjo diff and oil came pouring out. I removed the plug on the O/D side of the diff and the oil was very thick, paste like.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
Shoovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Columbia O/D

The EV8 vendors have installation and operational pamphlets on various years of the Columbia. I suggest you order the correct ones and read up. I would not worry about the thick oil, its what was used originally.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Terry,OH

140W only NAPA sells it as SL 24238. Use the Columbia fill plug only and fill till it comes out of the plug hole. Then with the rear wheel off the ground, trans in high and Columbia in high run for 5 minutes then turn off and lower car to the ground and recheck and refill if necessary the Columbia. NEVER run the Columbia with low oil!!
To shift, with the car moving, move Columbia selector to high/ Low depress clutch fully, which completes the shift.
Suggest you get some of the reprints of the operating and installation instructions. They can save you a lot of headaches. The shift adjustments are in them.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
Ken/Alabama

Rule of thumb, never touch the shift knob unless the clutch is pressed and the car is moving.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
Shoovel

Thanks for the info. On Sat I changed the diff oil as per your recommendations and reading the manual. Took the car for a drive and........ it works. 😃
Old 04-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

I always level my car on jack stands, then as Columbia instructions state, run it in the gear prescribed for the time specified. Then quickly get under and check the level and add as needed before the oil drains out of the internal parts of the unit. The cavity inside holds oil and that is why the Columbia fill port is higher then the stock Ford one. I also have the plug slightly loosened to be removed oil ready and gloves and a drip pan. Following the instructions is especially important for the first fill after it has been completely apart.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
blucar

You will love the Columbia once you get use to using it. Not of much value around town, on the highway the higher gear ratio makes an old Ford a great car.
One word of caution.. If you are traveling on the highway in OD and you are approaching a hill, down shift before you get on the hill and the engine is lugging. Be very careful shifting into OD range on the down hill. The weight of the vehicle on the down hill will allow the vehicle to gain speed if you dilly dally around shifting, which can do serious damage to the Columbia gear set.
A rule of thumb with OD's is to shift out of OD when encountering hilly terrain, shifting back into OD when you are out of the mountains... This is even true on modern AOD equipped vehicles.
Ford really liked OD's, used a lot of them in their '50-60 cars/trucks. The owners manuals had a section in them about operation in the mountains.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Viv W

I owned some Auburn's with Columbia rear ends, their books recommended W160 gear oil, which a local speciality oil company made up for me, it was a very thick oil.
The Auburn instructions recommended shifting gear below 40 miles per hour, whether shifting up or down. Does this apply to Fords with the same axles??
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #9
blucar

When I was much younger I street raced my '36 w/46-48 Columbia w/3.78 gearing, that has a well built 59AB engine.
I modified the electric over vacuum shift system with a toggle switch that controlled the power to the solenoids. Controlling the power to the solenoids cut the power to the clutch switch which prevented the down shift when the clutch was depressed.
I used the Columbia as a six speed, low/low-over, 2nd/2nd-over, 3rd/3rd-over like a big truck 2 speed rear end.
On many occasions while street racing I would shift the trans to 2nd gear, then the Columbia to OD which gave me a gear range higher than 2nd, but lower than high gear. the '36 would run at 100 mph plus in 2nd over so I would not have to shift into 3rd, if I did shift into 3rd I would be in 3rd OD.
I never experienced any trouble with the Columbia shifting at speeds over 40 mph, I regularly used the Columbia as a passing gear, briefly tapping the clutch as I released the throttle.
The attached pix shows the location of the solenoid valve pack mounted to the inner fender panel in lieu of the left cylinder head like the stock '46-48 setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd Columb Cntrl.1.jpg (54.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Frd Columb Cntrl.2.jpg (69.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #10
Shoovel

Thanks again for the info.