Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: I plan on shaking things up at the Model A club hubley event today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
Link to the rules

http://mafca.com/hub_rules.html

part of the rules:

The Cars:
The cars must be metal 1:20 scale models made by Hubley, Gabriel, and Scale Model.

Any of the seven Model "A" body styles may be used: Sedan, Station Wagon, Coupe, Roadster, Roadster Pickup, Victoria, and Phaeton.
Cars must be stock including the original tires, wheels, and axle screws. No modifications allowed.

Steering may be secured or loose at makers choice.

Weight of each car can be no more than 1 pound, 5 ounces (station wagon weight). A small amount of leeway will be allowed due to the differences of scales. Weights added to lighter cars must be secured, not loose in car.

A dry lubricant (graphite for example) is allowed at owners choice.

We helped build my son one of those over a decade ago to race, and when we showed up there were several there with all kinds of modifications like that. I asked that same question and was told it would be OK. I think it started with a top being removed on a Roadster or Open Cab P/U, then Victorias started showing up as Convertible Sedans or Fordors as Town Cars, and each time more & more stuff changed until I think it is pretty much as anything goes as long as you are under the max weight limit.

Off topic just a bit, I have over 20 kits that I have collected with the intent to build a 4'x8'x1' deep shadowbox replicating the Ford Assembly plant where there would be 3 floor levels in 1/20 scale very similar to what Steve Plucker did using 1/25th scale resin kits. I just cant seem to get the time to get started on the project, but I sure would like one for my office or foyer area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASMLINE_2.jpg (32.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg ASMLINE_3.jpg (36.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg ASMLINE_5.jpg (38.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg ASMLINE_7.jpg (43.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg ASMLINE_9.jpg (49.3 KB, 28 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #22
RichardW

Default Re: I plan on shaking things up at the Model A club hubley event today..

Here are some photos of the ones I have done in the past few years. We are pretty relaxed about the rules too. But we have two classes one for Seniors and to try to encourage the youngsters a class for under 18. But I think we could make that cutoff at 50 and not change much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chief Janice_edited-1.jpg (270.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Engine No 1_edited-1.jpg (208.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg TJT_edited-1.jpg (402.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg tudor_edited-1.jpg (394.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg WRT edited.jpg (67.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by RichardW; 04-03-2017 at 09:42 AM.
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #23
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
I smell trouble..

I'm still restoring my real coupe stock, but I thought it would be fun to do some instigating. I should do some kitbashing and find a SBC or flathead to put in it. We'll see if it runs or not.

That's a cool little hot rod but it needs some black paint and flames.

Supposedly a full-size A is made faster by removing the extra weight of fenders, etc. But doesn't that put you at a disadvantage in a downhill Hubley race?
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #24
JDupuis

Open wheels......less drag. . Why else would rodders take the fenders off? Jeff
Old 04-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #25
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
Open wheels......less drag. . Why else would rodders take the fenders off? Jeff

Well yeah, there's that too. But given that Hubley race rules limit weight, presumably heavier cars have the advantage.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Remove fenders and tops to reduce drag, but add lead to keep weight to the max.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #27
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Excuse my ignorance but is there a max allowable weight
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #28
RichardW

Max weight is the weight of a Station Wagon which is 1 pound 5 ounces. If you are on FB there is a page of Hubley Derby Racers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1575059066095506/

Last edited by RichardW; 04-03-2017 at 08:44 PM.
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #29
montanafordman

Haha interesting discussion on changing your hubley. I was quite surprised my car won and just thought I'd get a laugh bringing a hot rod.

The bit about no modifications could be interpreted as to meaning the screws, wheels, tires, axles, OR the car itself. My roadster had the fenders cut off and weight added but everything else is stock. (ok also missing cowl lights, tail lights, top & luggage rack) If that applied to the car itself several cars would be disqualified and where do you draw the line? Missing light bars, spare tires, roadster tops, windows, figures and riders in the car, etc. etc.

I interpreted the rule as stock screws, wheels, no liquid lubricants or bearings, bushings or modifications to the screws. The only non hubley anything is the JB Weld holding my weight secure and the headlight bar secure. No aftermarket anything else except dry graphite on the axle screws. I guess you can say I modified a body part by cutting the fenders? Where do you draw that line? Does filing off the rough flashing or polishing the drum surface (not the screw) to make it smooth count as modification? I would argue most do this and it has a larger impact. Bar none the most often violated rule is loose weights in the car. (mine were all glued and would not rattle) At the end of the day it's all a game though. If we want to stick with separate modified and strictly stock (as in no missing parts or fenders either) or super modified vs. Stock axles, screws, wheels, etc etc maybe that could or should be clarified? Then again, this is all fun and games.

Last edited by montanafordman; 04-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #30
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Oh my gawd . . . Oh the pot metal Humanity . . . !!! What has this child done??? Something has gone terribly wrong with the boy's brain.

This is too much trauma for we many decades old geezers to take!!! The kid actually hot rodded an all precious ancient collectible Hubley Model A Ford kit . . . This is intolerable!

It's a freaken disaster horror show . . . There needs to be an investigation.

LOL! Yep, that's what my brain was thinking when I wanted to build something different...

-again my disclaimer, my real coupe will be more stock than most model A's out there when I'm done restoring it. JS&RG in hand...
Old 04-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #31
TerryO

Quote:
Off topic just a bit, I have over 20 kits that I have collected with the intent to build a 4'x8'x1' deep shadowbox replicating the Ford Assembly plant where there would be 3 floor levels in 1/20 scale very similar to what Steve Plucker did using 1/25th scale resin kits. I just cant seem to get the time to get started on the project, but I sure would like one for my office or foyer area.
I saw a really neat one at the Model A Museum.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote