Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
blucar

Default 32-36 Ford thermostats

Following all of the contributions on an earlier thread regarding the pro's/con's of the need for thermostats in a Ford flat-head engine, I went looking through my stash of parts to see if I had any thermostats for the '32-36 Fords, that being what the original question was about.
Low and behold I found a pair of '32-36 stats in a box of early Ford V8 parts. The stats appeared to be NOS or possibly units that had only been used for a very short period of time.
I decided to test the stats, using a pan of water on a gas stove with a thermometer. Photographed the test as it progressed:
The stats started to open at 155 degrees.. Pix 1.
50% ... open @..... 160 d Pix 2.
75/80% open @..... 170 d Pix 3.
Max open @..... 180 d

Since the stats were at least 50% open @ 160 I would have to assume that they are 160 degree stats.. The 75-80% open at 170 is probably a normal variant of this type of a thermostat..
I ran the test three times to make sure the findings were accurate..
The design of the '32-36 stat would in my mind suggest that it was a better design for fluid flow, than the later '37-53 type.. Of course the "bellows" type of a thermal coupling might be more fragile than the later spring type.
The "nut" coupling the billows/flapper links together could indicate that the assembly could be adjustable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32-36 Frd stats.1.jpg (51.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 32-36 Frd stats.2.jpg (54.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 32-26 Frd stats.3.jpg (42.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: 32-36 Ford thermostats

They look pretty good. I would say they are 180 stats made to maintain 180 degrees.
G.M.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 32-36 Ford thermostats

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Following all of the contributions on an earlier thread regarding the pro's/con's of the need for thermostats in a Ford flat-head engine, I went looking through my stash of parts to see if I had any thermostats for the '32-36 Fords, that being what the original question was about.
Low and behold I found a pair of '32-36 stats in a box of early Ford V8 parts. The stats appeared to be NOS or possibly units that had only been used for a very short period of time.
I decided to test the stats, using a pan of water on a gas stove with a thermometer. Photographed the test as it progressed:
The stats started to open at 155 degrees.. Pix 1.
50% ... open @..... 160 d Pix 2.
75/80% open @..... 170 d Pix 3.
Max open @..... 180 d

Since the stats were at least 50% open @ 160 I would have to assume that they are 160 degree stats.. The 75-80% open at 170 is probably a normal variant of this type of a thermostat..
I ran the test three times to make sure the findings were accurate..
The design of the '32-36 stat would in my mind suggest that it was a better design for fluid flow, than the later '37-53 type.. Of course the "bellows" type of a thermal coupling might be more fragile than the later spring type.
The "nut" coupling the billows/flapper links together could indicate that the assembly could be adjustable.
I have the same basic configuration stats in my '35 fordor avatar. Not sure of the exact temperature rating, but the engine temperature runs ~ 175-185°F most of the time.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote