Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
burnette

Default remote brake fluid reservoir

anybody know where i can find a mastercylinder adapter cap so i can install a remote brake fluid reservoir . i have the original type master cylinder on my 1942 ford truck .
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:19 AM   #2
oldskool

Default Re: remote brake fluid reservoir

my 46 merc had a remote fill ,the master cyl had a metal cap with a 90 degree fitting tapped on top 1/8 pipe tread,i removed the firewall fill because brake fluid got on the firewall and ruined the paint,,,
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:04 AM   #3
burnette

thanks i think i have an old cap . maybe i can bore and tap it ,then use a plastic reservoir. i would like to be able to see the fluid level .
Old 05-14-2022, 06:56 AM   #4
STEVE O

Just a tid bit of info which I'm sure you are aware of, on your cap if used be sure it is clean. Most are packed with corrosion under the baffle which will end up in your master cyl. Found this several times when the cap won't vent any more for being packed full. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:09 AM   #5
burnette

thanks steve ,been busy lately but i will be checking this out soon !
Old 05-15-2022, 08:29 AM   #6
GB SISSON

I found an old cap on a parts truck. Die cast, square 'nut' on top.. Ground off the rivet, sure enough packed with gray powder. I have drilled a 5/16" hole, but need to have the pipe tap to finalize the finished hole size. The vent is a cross drilled hole through the square. Very small like 1/32". I'd like to drill and tap for a tiny pipe plug. I'm sure if I just used a set screw, which is easier to come, by there'd be something to seal it. Edit: Research shows Permatex suggests their #59214 High Temp Thread Sealer for threaded fittings in hydraulic, oil and brake lines.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-15-2022 at 08:58 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
burnette

hi gary ! i was thinking of using a hydralic clutch reservoir . not really going for the old school look ,just something with a quick glance i see the oil level. i,m going to see if i can find my old master cylinder and maybe tap it ! especially since my truck emptied it brake fluid in the rear left wheel throught the winter. i will need to rebleed it again . i will join your tread i had not noticed it until today .