Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Front motor mount yoke install question

Why does everything seem to be so hard to do anymore. I bought an entire new yoke springs etc for the front motor mount and I am having trouble installing the short bottom spring and castellated nut.Should this be bolted onto engine first and the weight will compress the spring enough I can start the nut? What I am trying to do is install into crossmember first but I cannot compress the two support springs enough by my one remaining hand to get the single nut started. I should have just stay retired from another project and kept my '37 going I guess. Just one thing after another and my first day back in the garage after a hospital stay two weeks ago.I did get the transmission back in yesterday though.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Front motor mount yoke install question

Do you have the 4 bolts at the rear motor mount/ flywheel housing loose? The short spring goes on the underside of the cross member. The rear bolts need to be loose so you can adjust the 1/8" float. Don't forget the leather pad (and bushing if used). Glad you are back on your feet, but don't push it.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
37 Coupe

The engine is not installed yet hopefully it will be when I can figure out the front support. I guess I will need to somehow compress the long springs enough to get the nut started either by some sort of spring compressor C clamp or an extra set of hands.I cannot push it down enough on the two long springs to get to the first thread.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
1crosscut

Leave it loose and once the engine is pretty much in place bolt it to the engine and then let the weight of the engine compress the springs for you.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Bill G

I think the problem with leaving it loose is that the yoke will try to slip off the two side springs if it isn't held in place beforehand. I was able to get mine on without the engine, but I had to make sure everything fit. For instance, the brass washer that fits under the cross member has a shoulder on it and needs to be seated in the wide hole in order for the spring to seat, allowing the nut to start without the engine weight. If you can draft someone to help by pressing down on the yoke, it might help. You also want to make sure you don't have the yoke facing the wrong way. The flat edge of the round base with the flat side goes with the flat facing to the front.
Bill G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
daren007

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
what springs are you using?
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
what springs are you using?

X2
Check out the information on Marco's site. http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/mount.htm

Some of the springs they sell are to long. I think Steve at Bert's said
they have ones made to Ford prints.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
Bill G

I got mine at Bert's.
Bill G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
X2
Check out the information on Marco's site. http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/mount.htm

Bob
Very helpful,thank you and thank you all. I just checked Bert's and it sure looks just like the kit and springs I bought from Bratton's.I will measure springs tomorrow.

Last edited by 37 Coupe; 12-23-2018 at 08:39 PM.
37 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
Ntenna

What works for me is a combination of all the advice: leave the front mount out while first installing the engine. Loosely assemble the rear mounts while still supporting engine from the hoist. After the rear mounts are bolted through but loose, keep the front up high enough to slip yoke under and behind crank pulley, with center bolt above center crossmember by about 2”, and yoke bolts loosely installed. Stack center top hardware and leather pad in crossmember. Place outer springs on yoke secured by temporary bailing wire. Lower engine slowly watching center bolt post to insure it drops through hardware and hole in crossmember. As stated above, weight of motor will compress everything and should leave you enough room for lower hardware stack and anchor nut to go on easily. Continue to suspend motor lightly until you have secured all mounts and then let it settle. If left/right springs are really the right length, they should not bulge out either way and the yoke should not be touching the crossmember. Good luck, we know how frustrating this can be!
Ntenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
X2

Bob
I went ahead and ordered just the three springs from Bert's ,first time I have ordered anything from a Model A supplier other than Bratton's or here in Ohio Snyders.I fully expected to get the same three springs that I got from Bratton's and surprisingly they are different and I was able to immediately install the front yoke as springs were reasonable to compress and stayed in place making starting the nut threads a cinch.thanks for the Bert's advise.