Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
John Gibson

Default Concours d’Elegance - Amelia Island

Great show at Amelia this past weekend! Dusenbergs, Rolls Royce, Cords, Packards, etc. There wasn’t an old Ford to be found in the main event.

John
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Concours d’Elegance - Amelia Island

John
Events like Amelia, Pebble Beach, etc etc are driven (quietly and under the surface) by the CCCA or Classic Car Club of America.......Very few EFV8's have qualified as a "TRUE CLASSIC" by the CCCA otherwise it "generally" needs to be a car of "some significance" like FDR's 36 Ford Convertible, or owned by Edsel Ford or a proto-type etc etc. unless there is a specific class aimed at an Anniversary for Ford!!
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Hoop

John, you musta missed Mooneyes.

moon deuce.jpg
Photo credit: Sports Car Digest

Rock, to be fair, the Amelia island Concours is the creation of Bill Warner. It is his dream, vision, energy, knowledge, and plain love of cars that makes the Amelia. Clearly the cars selected are his choices and reflect a diversity that promises something for doggone near everyone.

Will post photo link separately.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
rockfla

Hoop
I agree with you 100% and have in NO way disparaged OR discredited Bill in any way. By the pure definition of the event bares out my comment. Pebble Beach, Meadowbrooke and Amelia were and are still considered "The Big Three" and one thing you also missed in your comments is how Amelia has changed the "other two" in vehicles and classes they now exhibit....Bill (and Amelia) have had that effect as well as helped to create and build more Concour's like Hilton Head, Palos Verdes, and now even Cigar City. My point is again.....every year (at the big three) there is a class for Rolls Royce, Duesenberg, Bugatti etc, etc. all marks that by their nature make up The Classic Car Club of America, yes Amelia has race cars and motorcycles but those makes and models vary from year to year....THUS the year in year out marks, along with Packard, Lincoln, Cadillac, Minerva, Talbot Lago etc etc (Again all marks in the CCCA) and post war Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, Aston Martin (all marks that are marks of affluence) is what drives these events, not Ford, Nash or Plymouth. I will stick to my point in that, unless there is a Special Class or a class of "some" significance, "generally" speaking and by and large the "standard" run of the mill V8 Ford (and what you can generally see at cruise-in's and parking lots across the US) is not a "regular" at these events!!! Yes, Bill and Amelia have done a fabulous job of "expanding" and "varying" the taste level for the masses, no doubt and yes he deserves all the credit in the world!!! But going to Amelia to think you will have a few flat head V8's to look at, just isn't the norm and not why I go to Amelia (when I do).
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote