Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #1
Mart

Default Mart's Update Aug 28. 32 Sedan. Ol' 59 Flatty. T-Bird Startup. Steam Roller. Crusty.

Hello! Welcome to this week's update from Mart's Garage. In this weeks video I get the T-Bird out and take it for a nice spin. We (yes, we) encounter a steam roller being worked on and show a local beauty spot with an interesting industrial heritage. I also share some thoughts on the Crusty Flatty breakdown. Also included are some heat and bend action on the 32 Sedan front shock top mounts, and I pull the pan on the Ol' 59 Flatty. Who knows what that will reveal.
Thanks for dropping by, please comment, like and share with friends.
Catch you on the next one!
Mart.

PS: The front shox have arrived literally as I've been typing this post!

https://youtu.be/oB7FSkWMhQE
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
flatford8

Default Re: Mart's Update Aug 28. 32 Sedan. Ol' 59 Flatty. T-Bird Startup. Steam Roller. Crus

Another great one Mart!....when my wife sees me watching a video on the tablet, she always says “ what are you and Mart working on today”?...... I like the shock mounts, Ford parts on a Ford....only way to do it...thanks for the ride in the T-Bird by the Lakes with the missus!..... Good Fun....enjoy the car show!......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
mfagan

Default Re: Mart's Update Aug 28. 32 Sedan. Ol' 59 Flatty. T-Bird Startup. Steam Roller. Crus

Why the rag in the carburetor?
Old 08-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
Mart

Ah, yes, the rag in the carb. I couldn't get it running right so disabled the secondaries by shutting off the fuel supply and stuffing a rag down the carb. This was over 30 years ago. Do you think I should have got round to doing something about it?
The carb body is the very first generation of the recognisable Holley 4 barrels (Post teapot) . The fuel bowls were badly distorted so I used some bowls from a later carb. I had a problem setting the levels due to a mismatch so concentrated on the primary. Once it was running well I left it because I didn't fancy risking messing it up by fiddling with the secondaries. I had a young family at the time and other events just meant it never got done.
Mart.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Hey Mart....I'm really enjoying your series of videos, but I've come to the conclusion that ALL of us Yanks talk kind of funny, and YOU're the only one that speaks 'normally'! The T-bird is cool, but I really do like that '33 a LOT! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
mfirth

Another good one. Last time i rode in a "real T-Bird" was .......long ago.
THANKS !!!!
Cheers,
mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
tubman

Mart, that was an enjoyable video, but one thing made me curious. A couple of times in the "Thunderbird Cruise", you seemed to be driving on the right-hand side of the road. And in one of those instances (39:13), the approaching car passed on your left side. Were these just odd traffic setups or are things just pretty casual over there?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Mart,... And in one of those instances (39:13), the approaching car passed on your left side. Were these just odd traffic setups or are things just pretty casual over there?
Probably Mart was avoiding an ex-pat American driving on the "wrong" side of the road...
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Mart, that was an enjoyable video, but one thing made me curious. A couple of times in the "Thunderbird Cruise", you seemed to be driving on the right-hand side of the road. And in one of those instances (39:13), the approaching car passed on your left side. Were these just odd traffic setups or are things just pretty casual over there?
They were parked cars. The speeded up motion makes it look like they are passing me. Here it is not illegal to park facing the wrong way. The red car was actually in the process of parking, and yes, he was still moving when I passed him.

Thanks for all the interest, fellas.

Mart.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Brendan

thanks for the Vids Mart! i enjoy watching them !

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote