Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Killerbee
BANNED

Default Stromberg 97 help

So I put a 97 on my 28 Model a. It popps at high rpms at full throttle. Pulled the plugs and there white = lean. This is with the original jetting of 45 main 65 power valve. I’ve tried to up the jetting all the way up to 48 and the power valve down to 63 with no success. I took a Holley off of my other car put it on and it ran great. No popping easy start good acceleration all the way through the rpms. What am I missing with this stromberg
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Stromberg 97 help

Try posting this on the EV8 forum, two carb guru's over there.............Uncle Max and Charlie, NY.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
Smog Tech

Check Float level on the Stromberg.
Smog Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

I had the same any many other issues with my 97, I was told by many that the Holley is much better. My rebuilder said he had problems with 5 of his. Some also say the 97 should be on a flat head not are cars. I was also told that a old Stromberg 81 works better. Iam on my second 97 Stromberg, many issues with the first one. I think maybe they are made in China cause of the many problems.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Stromberg? Made in China? Not unless you bought it from Speedway Motors. Strombergs were made in England (and still are), as were Zeniths.

I have three 97's on my Y-Block and it runs just fine. No it is NOT in my Town Sedan...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-19-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Simonpie

I have a 97 on mine. It came with the car and has always run fine. I've been surprised that I can't seem to find a tuning manual for it. Usually a mainstream carb has a book telling you what jet to change for various effects and conditions.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
Simonpie

Oh yeah, at one time mine would die on full throttle runs. It was fuel starving. I tried fiddling with my fuel regulator, but in the end replacing my needle valve (ball valve actually) did the trick. They make high flow ones, but I just used a new regular one. That might cause a high rev lean condition.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpie View Post
Oh yeah, at one time mine would die on full throttle runs. It was fuel starving. I tried fiddling with my fuel regulator, but in the end replacing my needle valve (ball valve actually) did the trick. They make high flow ones, but I just used a new regular one. That might cause a high rev lean condition.
Stromberg sells a high flow?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #9
Simonpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Stromberg sells a high flow?
I forget where I saw it. Maybe Speedway?
It was spendy, wherever it was.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #10
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
So I put a 97 on my 28 Model a. It popps at high rpms at full throttle. Pulled the plugs and there white = lean. This is with the original jetting of 45 main 65 power valve. I’ve tried to up the jetting all the way up to 48 and the power valve down to 63 with no success. I took a Holley off of my other car put it on and it ran great. No popping easy start good acceleration all the way through the rpms. What am I missing with this stromberg
Are you using an electric fuel pump? They need 2 1/2 lbs pressure. Can starve out with gravity feed.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Are you using an electric fuel pump? They need 2 1/2 lbs pressure. Can starve out with gravity feed.
This is what I found with my 97. Installed a fuel pump & pressure regulator and no more problems.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #12
Simonpie

I'm running a fuel pump. I have a speedster with the tank sitting on the frame rail level. Oddly enough, I put a pressure gauge on in the garage and got about 1.5 PSI regardless of the regulator position. It was a cheap regulator. However, at higher settings it took full throttle running better. The cheap regulator sprang a leak and I removed it for a little bit. The car ran well, but idled rough. I should probably leave the gauge on for a road run, but it runs well now, so I'm not too driven to see what's going on.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
hotrodalley

I have a single 97 on one of my cars, and dual strombergs on another. Both are high compression flatheads. I tried messing with jetting, but the standard jets work just fine. I had trouble with fuel pumps, and finally removed the pumps. I found that gravity feed is much simpler and the cars run strong regardless of fuel level - even up hill with less than 1/4 tank. The linkages must be precise. I am also running centrifugal advance distributors on both cars.
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodalley View Post
I have a single 97 on one of my cars, and dual strombergs on another. Both are high compression flatheads. I tried messing with jetting, but the standard jets work just fine. I had trouble with fuel pumps, and finally removed the pumps. I found that gravity feed is much simpler and the cars run strong regardless of fuel level - even up hill with less than 1/4 tank. The linkages must be precise. I am also running centrifugal advance distributors on both cars.
I did the same thing, Id rather not have the pump or regulator, but at gravity I cant go faster then 50.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #15
daren007

The technical term for your popping is Backfire.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #16
updraught

The Winfield SR that came out in the early 30's seemed to have a special float and needle valve that could be ordered for gravity feed. See page 40.

http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/2104WinfieldHV.pdf

Would be interesting to know what the difference is over the pressure fed ones.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
I think maybe they are made in China cause of the many problems.
No, the problem is/was, the junk Strombergs made in CHINA they are absolute crap. THAT is the problem. Speedway had a big run made there, the crap they got back may as well go directly to the scrap heap, BUT to re-coup some of their money they flooded the market with Chinese Strombergs. You have to be very very careful sounds like that is what you have.

The ones made in England are good quality I am told. This has been told to me by a friend that used to rebuild Strombergs but doesn't any longer.

As a side note, I sent a perfectly good Stromberg 97 to a guy here on FB to tweak it for me. I got a Chinese built POS back and he kept my GOOD original I guess for himself or a buddy.The throttle plate and choke bound up so bad there was no way to operate it. The jets were bad. I contacted this guy and he said 'Oh, just oil it'???? What???? What kind of garbage is this thing you sent me??? I want mine back. Sorry It's long gone.

I had to find another good original and send it to another guy to rebuild. I sent the one I got 'back' along with my original and this person told me that the one I got was switched out with the Chinese junk that other guy was trying to get rid of. He knew of him. Lesson learned. Be careful sending out good original parts for a re-build you don't know what you are going to get back
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #18
Killerbee
BANNED

Float level is level with the edge of the top.im pushing about 3lbs. Of fuel pressure pre stromberg tech support. This is not a junk stromberg from China it is a from England. It seems to be starving for fuel at high rpms if I back off the throttle it will pick back up and run. I checked the s-jet and it is clear. I can’t imagine the bowl running dry with 3lbs or pressure. It does have the ball style check valve “s-jet” If I can get a hold of a later needle one I’ll try that.

Last edited by Killerbee; 12-21-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
hardtimes

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for your input, and heads=up on this guys bait/switch behavior. How long ago did this occur and is that guy still a member ?

It is a good practice, IMO, and I use it, to make a verbal and written request for return of my original parts back ! Establish, up front, that you want your original carb/whatever, worked/rebuilt and sent back to you.
If there is a verbal understanding that you will receive an 'exchanged' part, then that is also your call to make !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #20
ronn

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for your input, and heads=up on this guys bait/switch behavior. How long ago did this occur and is that guy still a member ?

It is a good practice, IMO, and I use it, to make a verbal and written request for return of my original parts back ! Establish, up front, that you want your original carb/whatever, worked/rebuilt and sent back to you.
If there is a verbal understanding that you will receive an 'exchanged' part, then that is also your call to make !!

I would like to know who the crook is. Shouldnt have to ask to have decent parts sent back instead of chinese junk................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #21
Killerbee
BANNED

Hey jeff are you on the do not fly list because you hijacked my thread.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Float level is level with the edge of the top.im pushing about 3lbs. Of fuel pressure pre stromberg tech support. This is not a junk stromberg from China it is a from England. It seems to be starving for fuel at high rpms if I back off the throttle it will pick back up and run. I checked the s-jet and it is clear. I can’t imagine the bowl running dry with 3lbs or pressure. It does have the ball style check valve “s-jet” If I can get a hold of a later needle one I’ll try that.
All the issues you are having were the same problems I had, I had many look at this carb and they were all confused, Stromberg finally sent me a new one, after having numerous problems for over a year.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Hey jeff are you on the do not fly list because you hijacked my thread.
Sorry brother

Just brought up some bad memories from the past. This was several years ago now. Rather not discuss who it was, he knows who he is and most others have had good luck with this individual I just got rear ended it happens.............
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #24
michael a

You are a good man Jeff. If someone boned me like that,and you were boned proof of that is when he told you to oil it, I am going to scream like a mashed cat!!!I believe we need to alert people to the identity of these no good Bastards!
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post
You are a good man Jeff. If someone boned me like that,and you were boned proof of that is when he told you to oil it, I am going to scream like a mashed cat!!!I believe we need to alert people to the identity of these no good Bastards!
strongly agree
Old 12-22-2017, 02:11 AM   #26
Lawrie

I have a 97 on my A,gravity feed,it will run full throttle up the steepest of hills right down to the last drop in the tank,
secret is to modify the float valve,an easy job,mine has done 1000,s of miles all over aust no drama.
do a search,or pm me and I will see if I can dig out the pics.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote