Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2023, 08:31 PM   #1
BVZ24

Default Connecting rod Question

I am getting prepared to do a lower end rebuild this weekend. This is the first rebuild I am attempting. I ordered a set of rebabbited connecting rods and inspected them for obvious defects. All 4 connecting rod small ends have a groove cut in the middle between the two oil holes. 3 of the rods have a "C" shaped clip inserted in this groove and 1 is missing. What is the purpose and importance of this clip, and can I work around it being missing? Is it safe for the long term to install the rod as is without it, remove the other 3 clips, or should I contact customer service and postpone my rebuild?

The removed connecting rods do not have the groove and therefore do not have a clip that I can steal.

Will provide pictures as soon as I can
BVZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:33 PM   #2
jack backer
BANNED

Default Re: Connecting rod Question

Did you measure your crankshaft journals?
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #3
BVZ24

They vary between 1.496 and 1.498. Purchased standard size.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:25 PM   #4
Ramman

if I'm following you correctly, with a clip in the location you described, how is the piston pin supposed to go through the small end?
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #5
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVZ24 View Post
I am getting prepared to do a lower end rebuild this weekend. This is the first rebuild I am attempting. I ordered a set of rebabbited connecting rods and inspected them for obvious defects. All 4 connecting rod small ends have a groove cut in the middle between the two oil holes. 3 of the rods have a "C" shaped clip inserted in this groove and 1 is missing. What is the purpose and importance of this clip, and can I work around it being missing? Is it safe for the long term to install the rod as is without it, remove the other 3 clips, or should I contact customer service and postpone my rebuild?

The removed connecting rods do not have the groove and therefore do not have a clip that I can steal.

Will provide pictures as soon as I can

You have NOS connecting rods from Ford that used the center clip to retain the wrist pin. Original wrist pins had a groove in the center that the clip fits into. If you are using modern pistons, the piston has grooves at each end of the wrist pin for retention and the clip is not needed.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:34 PM   #6
BVZ24

That makes sense. I am using modern pistons, so just remove the clips from the other 3?
Old 05-19-2023, 09:35 PM   #7
Dan McEachern

If you bought rebabbitted connecting rods, they should come with new wrist pin bushings installed. The two piece bushings with the clip are OEM Ford. The clip in the center was the original factory method of retaining the wrist pin prior to the now common method of using clips in the piston.

Properly installed wrist pin bushings require an expanding step to burnish the bushing into the pin eye of the rod prior to boring or honing to size. We always semi finish the wrist pin bushings prior to machining the big end of the rod so that the pin end is in perfect alignment with the big end.

You will need to have a shop replace, expand and hone/bore the pin end of your new rods and have them fit to your wrist pins before installing them. Make sure that the shop either aligns the rods after fitting the pins or bore the pins off the big ends to maintain the alignment.
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:54 PM   #8
Ramman

Boy those wrist pin pictures sure would have kept me from making my dumdum statement.
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:18 PM   #9
BVZ24

Quote:
You will need to have a shop replace, expand and hone/bore the pin end of your new rods and have them fit to your wrist pins before installing them. Make sure that the shop either aligns the rods after fitting the pins or bore the pins off the big ends to maintain the alignment.
I can see a copper color in there, if these are NOS, would they already have the bushings fit?
Without taking any measurements, I dropped a wrist pin in the one con rod and it didn't have any slop.
I purchased bushings but on receipt thought I would have to have the con rods bored to give them room to fit.

One of the reasons I'm going for a diy rebuild is that I have not been able to find a shop that is willing to do work on the old engines and can get me in this summer.