Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
Shiloh

Default Anyone interested in a video on how to make your own seat covers and interior panels?

I was commenting on someone else’s post about how easy it was to make my own seats and am wondering if any of you guys would be interested in how to do it? If so, I’m Thinking about making a youtube video. Here are the seats and door panels that I made. Also made my own kick panels. The door and kick panels are made from 1/16” ABS plastic then covered with material. They won’t rot or wear like the card board ones do. Let me know if you all are interested….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 847A6C02-6CE6-4482-8CE9-09429F959CCD.jpg (46.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 6F2EDF0B-8BDC-457A-B9ED-90D1A89F1173.jpg (49.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 1FC30BC6-39E3-4B65-80B7-6EF761FDC6FF.jpg (66.6 KB, 137 views)
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:50 AM   #2
ModelA29

Default Re: Anyone interested in a video on how to make your own seat covers and interior pan

Interested in the seat. I was going to do some snaps while I build one for my Coupe. I have a nice stock one in there now but I'm too tall/fat to enjoy the drive. My plan is one about 3-4" lower and 2-3" back. I'm also going to move the front edge back to the seat frame to help getting my big feet in.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Shiloh

Talking Re: Anyone interested in a video on how to make your own seat covers and interior pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Interested in the seat. I was going to do some snaps while I build one for my Coupe. I have a nice stock one in there now but I'm too tall/fat to enjoy the drive. My plan is one about 3-4" lower and 2-3" back. I'm also going to move the front edge back to the seat frame to help getting my big feet in.
I completely understand the struggle brother. I’m 5’ 9” toting 250 lbs and a size 11 shoe. When I ordered my seat springs from Snyders I got the lowered seat with a taller backrest. There’s a process to getting in and out of my pickup. If I hadn’t already had the seat springs ordered I would have went with foam.
I wondered why Henry would have made it so hard to get in and out of pickups and found that the average height of a man back in the thirties was 5’ 7” and weighed in at around 140 to 150 lbs. and the most common shoe size was a 7. So it’s not that the pickups were made small it’s that us Americans have got bigger. I personally blame my wife, cause I was as fit as an ox back before I met her. Something about all that good southern food she keeps putting in front of me has made my mid region swell up something fierce! Only fitness I get into now is fit’en-nis second biscuit into my mouth….
Old 03-26-2023, 12:33 PM   #4
Fullraceflathead

Default Re: Anyone interested in a video on how to make your own seat covers and interior pan

I would be interested in seeing the video.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #5
Brentwood Bob

I, for one, would like to see how you did it. Do you have a heavy duty sewing machine?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:37 PM   #6
alexiskai

I’m always in favor of more instructional videos.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:41 PM   #7
Shiloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
I, for one, would like to see how you did it. Do you have a heavy duty sewing machine?
Nope. I done it all on a 1952 singer sewing machine.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:44 PM   #8
J Franklin

Interesting patterns. Yes I would like your video.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:20 PM   #9
Shiloh

I’ll start working on getting a video made up. Sure would be nice if Paul Shinn could give me some pointers cause I’m definitely not a videographer. Doing it with just my phone would be a bit cumbersome so I’ll see if I can hunt down a go pro or something to shoot the video with.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #10
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I I’m definitely not a videographer. Doing it with just my phone would be a bit cumbersome so I’ll see if I can hunt down a go pro or something to shoot the video with.
Phones are fine - as long as it's not too old. Paul Shinn talks about how a job takes 3-4 times as long doing different setups while filming.

On ebay there is a phone mount with tracking $20 - also a hand held one that steadies the camera (and has a tripod) $70. The one I bought has a phone app that will allow you to zoom and set what to track. You'll also want a remote mike $15.

A DJI Pocket 2 camera will shoot good youtube video and there is an app so you can edit it with your phone. https://www.dji.com/pocket-2?site=br...m=landing_page Refurb has the same warranty and is 20% off.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:49 AM   #11
RDVAARK

Shiloh,
Thanks for the offer, I'm very interested. I'd especially like to see the Singer in action,I have a 1969 Singer and a couple of treadle models which seem more heavy duty.
You mentioned the 'f' word,foam. I saw a thread on it once, now lost. On HAMB,Fri.Mar 10 is a thread "Let's talk about seat foam..." Usually in the autumn Home Depot and Lowe's sell outdoor seat cushions at about 50% off. Some are rugged, and have a zipper and are washable.
A lot of my vehicles (Land Rovers, plow trucks, beaters,street rods) have plywood or metal seat bases and colorful floral seats cheer some people up after sitting on foam that's too soft. The HAMB thread gives suggestions about different hardness specs of foams-like 6" of firm for a base, 4"of medium , and 1-2" of soft to conform to the covers. Local source for different foams-'Fairfield Processing, Danbury, Ct.'
Until I clean and straighten my original springs, and install my NOS 1971 Lebaron Bonney interior (in the distant future), the cushions let me enjoy the car and no worry about mice, dogs, dirty people, eating in the car, etc.
I've also measured seating position in detail of my most comfortable driving cars and have experimented with duplicating that position in the 28 tudor before finishing the seats, sealing the top, and blocking up the mouse holes in the floor.
I like your ABS idea too. !/8" masonite and marine plywood get ruined by leaks.
Thanks
RDVAARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:51 AM   #12
RDVAARK

Duplicate

Last edited by RDVAARK; 03-27-2023 at 10:52 AM. Reason: duplicate reply
RDVAARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #13
Thix

I would like to see the rest of the car in the picture, nice color of paint.
Thix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:29 PM   #14
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Sure would be nice if Paul Shinn could give me some pointers cause I’m definitely not a videographer. Doing it with just my phone would be a bit cumbersome so I’ll see if I can hunt down a go pro or something to shoot the video with.

I just use an iPhone 8 as a camera and the built-in software to do the editing. Nothing fancy at all. There is no secret, just hit "record" and start talking.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:55 PM   #15
garyjohn

yep
garyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:46 PM   #16
alexiskai

Here are my pointers for making Model A instructional videos:
  1. Don't worry too much about titles or visual effects. Focus on getting information across.
  2. The camera on your phone is fine, but if you will be more than 2 feet away from the phone, you should get a mic.
  3. Any mic will do – lapel mic, headset, wireless, anything.
  4. Get a tripod or something to mount the phone on. You can buy cheap tripod adapters at Walmart and use them to mount the phone on the magnetic base for a dial indicator. This is handy for attaching the phone to parts of the car.
  5. Think about where you'll put the camera. Many videos are ruined by the camera being too far away or at the wrong angle to see what is being taught. People put their hands in front of the work, or they don't use enough light.
  6. Writing a script is a pain, but it helps. If a script is too much work, write a shot list. It's important to plan ahead how you'll get the viewer from one piece of information to the next.
  7. Do a technical rehearsal where you test out your stand and mic. Shoot 10 seconds with you talking and doing whatever you'll do in the video. Play it back and make sure you sound good.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:03 AM   #17
ronn

seat covers would be great!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:40 AM   #18
nkaminar

Here is a settee I just completed for my trailer. Not a Model A but the process is the same. Best to start out on some small projects to gain some experience, like some throw pillows for the back seat. Nice heavy duty sewing machines and materials can be found on www.sailrite.com. I used their Ultra Leather for this settee. I have had my sewing machine from them for over 20 years. With some maintenance their machines will last for many decades. Sewing projects like this are very satisfying. I have done upholstery for cars and boats and canvas projects for boats. Over the years the sewing machine has paid for itself many times over.

Sailrite has how-to videos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Settee.jpg (42.4 KB, 30 views)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 03-29-2023 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added additional information
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:04 PM   #19
Shiloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thix View Post
I would like to see the rest of the car in the picture, nice color of paint.
I posted some more on my profile album today!
Old 03-28-2023, 10:39 PM   #20
ahirt

Absolutely!
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote