Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2022, 09:38 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default U Joint clamshells

As we all know, In 95 years, through the depression, amateurs' restorations, etc. etc. Lots of parts have been mis matched. My 28 RPU (not an early 28) has a clamshell top half (no grease fitting) installed on the bottom. Only one bolt hole (the bottom one) lines up. I have to replace the U joint anyway so I thought that this would be a good time to rectify that. I do not know if the bolt holes don't line because it's a top half being on the bottom, or if it's from different years, or all of the above. I can't find a parts breakdown on any of the suppliers websites that I typically use so I can't even try to figure out what I need. Do they vary from year to year? I have no idea what year transmission I have either. I was thinking maybe I would talk to Steve at Bert's and see what they have used (I don't think anybody is making these new). Will any bottom half fit or do I have to figure out what year transmission I have? Or what? I figured I would replace both halves at the same time but maybe that's not needed? Please advise. If anybody has what I need and doesn't mind dealing with shipping I would get it here. Thanks, Don.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:54 PM   #2
WTSHNN

Default Re: U Joint clamshells

There were two styles used; the first had the holes spaced in unequal distances. The second the holes were all equidistant from each other. I'd guess you have a mismatch set.

It is why the gaskets the parts suppliers sell have a couple elongated holes.

I'd call Bert's and I'm sure Steve has everything for whichever you decide to go with.
-Tim
Old 02-20-2022, 12:37 AM   #3
old ugly

you can uses the different rear tranny bearing retainer that matches your clam shell.
or
you can get the other bolt style of clam shell.

to change the rear tranny bearing retainer will be more work as the rear end will have to be dropped and moved back for access.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:46 AM   #4
old ugly

this may help

sorry the pages are in reverse order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0333.jpg (32.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0334.jpg (44.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0335.jpg (48.9 KB, 34 views)

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
Old 02-20-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
this may help

sorry the pages are in reverse order.

side note and totally irrelevant to the topic:

Looking at the first image with the 2 3/4 and 2 17/32 dimensions: what are these measurements parallel to? How am i supposed to measure this, it doesn't look like it's either the minimum or maximum dimension between the two centerlines. Or is that just that the length dimension is at an angle on the drawing? This would be a big no-no in our company...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Pluck's site has the whole run down of all the changes to the torque tube retainer calm shells. Here is a link. http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...rtdescript.pdf

They played with several designs at Ford and this makes it a challenge to match parts to the retainer you may have.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #7
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
side note and totally irrelevant to the topic:

Looking at the first image with the 2 3/4 and 2 17/32 dimensions: what are these measurements parallel to? How am i supposed to measure this, it doesn't look like it's either the minimum or maximum dimension between the two centerlines. Or is that just that the length dimension is at an angle on the drawing? This would be a big no-no in our company...
ford motor company drew it.

center to center of the bolt holes.

easy way is the early style is not symmetrical and the later style is symmetrical

Last edited by old ugly; 02-20-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
old ugly

after thinking about this last night, to change this the inner globular housing, if it doesnt match up, then, i believe the rear end has to be moved back.

oops i see you are changing the ujoint so the rear end has to be moved anyway, sorry i missed that.

Last edited by old ugly; 02-20-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #9
jeepguy1948

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated!
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote