Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
Brian T

Default Quick change axle.

Just curious,--- does any one use a quick change axle for the street, and why, I see the advantage of changing ratios quickly probably for competition , are there any uses.
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
quickchange

Default Re: Quick change axle.

Brian , The quickchange rears are used for a number of reasons, What ever your rear end ratio is you can have what suits your needs by selecting the gear set that gives you this , extrame example if you had 40" wheels you would not have enough power to turn them , so change your gear set . if you had cotton wheels , the other extream you could still select a gear set that would give hiyway speed, Or run 3.3 set for cruzing or 4,5 set for hill climb. Having set that for normal driving buy a mitchell gear splitter ( overdrive) Derek in NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
JonC

I run a quick change on the street in my 40 pickup. It is a Halibrand V8 style using the original 40 end bells. They are loud because of the spur gears in the back cover, but I kinda like the sound. I can change rear end ratios in about five minutes, that said you will find that after playing with it a few times you will find a ratio you like and never change them again. I suppose if I get brave enough to take it to a meet far away I would put taller gears in after getting out of NY ands Pa and that would help the fflathead alot. If I were to do it again I would put in a Mitchel, it would be less cost and give better performance, but wouldn't look as cool.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
poweredbylincoln

To ask.are noisy quick changes luck of the draw? Have a friend with a 34 coupe and winters in it and said he got a quiet one. And hes talked to the vender and claimed
It was a luck of the draw thing?
poweredbylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

I run a QC in my A speedster. I use it on the highway with 3.04:1 gears and as low as 6.40n hill climbs. Some gear sets are more noisy than others, modern gears from Speedway Motors are fairly quiet. None are objectionable but I have heard some that are.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
quickchange

We recommend Winters gear sets in our Q/C,s They are very quiet due to design, Have hear speedway gears noisy, just my observation.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
wensum

I've yet to get my speedster on the road, but funnily enough a second hand quick change with excellent crown wheel & pinion was cheaper than a new crown wheel and pinion.
Unfortunately I didn't realise that because it came out of a vintage speedway midget the diff had been fixed and I had to get the Model A carrier machined to clear the through shaft.
Visually it greatly enhances the rear of the car and as I intend to do both long distance cruising and the odd bit of motorsport, I have a fairly close pair of gears giving me a slight overdrive for cruising (combined with an F150 3+1 gearbox) and a slightly lower ratio when swapped over for motorsport.
Time will tell if my expectations are realistic!
The gear set was supplied by Derek ("Quickchange") and I've yet to discover how noisy they'll be
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
quickchange

Keith on our Q/C,s , A design engineer went over the original patters & c.n.c proggram, drawings etc & closed the clearances down , This almost has then with no gear noise unlike old halibrand style ones which usually were for race cars where noise did not matter, Cannot speak highly enough of Winters Gears in PA ,Looking for ward to seeing the speedster down our way .
Old 03-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
hop2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbylincoln View Post
To ask.are noisy quick changes luck of the draw? Have a friend with a 34 coupe and winters in it and said he got a quiet one. And hes talked to the vender and claimed
It was a luck of the draw thing?
I have a Winters quick change,I ordered the helical gears instead of the spur gears because they are quieter.the car is not together yet so I am going by what winters told me.
Doug
hop2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Keith on our Q/C,s , A design engineer went over the original patters & c.n.c proggram, drawings etc & closed the clearances down , This almost has then with no gear noise unlike old halibrand style ones which usually were for race cars where noise did not matter, Cannot speak highly enough of Winters Gears in PA ,Looking for ward to seeing the speedster down our way .
Hey Derek,
Yup, I was a little disappointed ....with no noise from your A unit...at all !
It is nice to experiment with different gear sets, but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet, as not enough experience. Been holding off, but maybe have to call Jim !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 AM   #11
brokenspoke

Hope this isn't out of place.....Is there a list of gear sets showing final ratio for the model a quick change
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
quickchange

Brokenspoke, You can go to winters site & download the chart , or send me youe e mail & i can mail you a copy . list which ring & pinnion you are running .
Old 03-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #13
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Brokenspoke, You can go to winters site & download the chart , or send me youe e mail & i can mail you a copy . list which ring & pinnion you are running .
[email protected] I have a 3.78 rear end

Thanks Bill
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote