Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
grgrywils

Default Model A Noises

My 1929 Tudor Restored in 2011-2014 been performing fine when last year (2022) developed a noise that at first I thought it was loose floor boards. No thats not it. but I did have them out (front) and drove it still had rattle when pulling away in first gear a heavy rattle 2nd gear same thing 3rd gear not so bad and over bumps their it was was afraid to drive it. I'm condensing this message and getting to the point so you won't have to read 8-9 months of frustration. The cause: I have an ordinal style ignition cable that is armored all the way from the distributor to the ignition key with a short wire tail. that armored cable was banging around in the tunnel area of the gas tank causing that heavy rattle. I may replace that with the other style that the armored area only goes from the distributor to the Firewall then a wire lead the rest of the way to the ignition switch. For the interim I place some insulating material in the tunnel to stop the rattling. VICTORY , I WAS So Happy !
grgrywils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
john charlton

Default Re: Model A Noises

I never wear my hearing aids when I drive my As . It makes them run so much smoother !!!

John in lovely weather Suffolk County England ,
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
springerpete

Can you say that again, slower John ? Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgrywils View Post
My 1929 Tudor Restored in 2011-2014 been performing fine when last year (2022) developed a noise that at first I thought it was loose floor boards. No thats not it. but I did have them out (front) and drove it still had rattle when pulling away in first gear a heavy rattle 2nd gear same thing 3rd gear not so bad and over bumps their it was was afraid to drive it. I'm condensing this message and getting to the point so you won't have to read 8-9 months of frustration. The cause: I have an ordinal style ignition cable that is armored all the way from the distributor to the ignition key with a short wire tail. that armored cable was banging around in the tunnel area of the gas tank causing that heavy rattle. I may replace that with the other style that the armored area only goes from the distributor to the Firewall then a wire lead the rest of the way to the ignition switch. For the interim I place some insulating material in the tunnel to stop the rattling. VICTORY , I WAS So Happy !
An old bicycle tube (bike shops will be happy to give them to you) slipped around the armored cable works well for this purpose. You can keep it from slipping around by the judicious use of zip ties.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote