Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2023, 08:56 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default rear axle interchange

I need to know if a 30 brake set up will swap over to a 28/29 axle , I have a line on an early rear axle that I am wanting to use the later rear brakes ,will the complete rear brakes with the wider emergency brake drums fit without any modifications work on my 30 coupe? appreciate it as always! Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:01 AM   #2
bucket-o-rust

Default Re: rear axle interchange

I tried to do what you want to do. So I found that the backing plates for a 30 31 will not bolt to the early rear axle housings. The bolt pattern is the same but the early axle housing is made with a small hump of metal sticking out in such a way that the 30 31 backing plate will not bolt up flush. So I changed the complete rear end. At some point during production in 28 29 they may fit not sure of that. Many changes were made as the years went by.
bucket-o-rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #3
Fordestes

Default Re: rear axle interchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket-o-rust View Post
I tried to do what you want to do. So I found that the backing plates for a 30 31 will not bolt to the early rear axle housings. The bolt pattern is the same but the early axle housing is made with a small hump of metal sticking out in such a way that the 30 31 backing plate will not bolt up flush. So I changed the complete rear end. At some point during production in 28 29 they may fit not sure of that. Many changes were made as the years went by.
Thanks for the response, are the humps something that can be noticed from a picture , the axle is in Kansas and I am in Okla. the person has a few more parts but I did not want to commit to buying the axle and the seller miss out on a sale to someone else. are the bearing spindles the same length ? can the metal possibly be ground off ?

Last edited by Fordestes; 05-21-2023 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote