Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Where to buy padding for seat covering?

Hi All:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the interior for my roadster. I've been going back and forth with a member here regarding stuff he has for sale.

I tried Googling, but was coming up only with springs. Does anyone know where to buy the seat padding to do the seats?

The gentleman has the covers, but no padding.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Where to buy padding for seat covering?

Try a fabric store or a local auto upholstery shop??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
duke36

try Midwest Supply or others; cotton felt , burlap and even dacron padding is preferred over foam which deteriorates over time.
Assume the seat covers are pleated with some sort of padding attached.
Classtique is now one of the primary Model A kit and materials suppliers with Le Baron's demise.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

Go to https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/ and ask for Mike.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
WHN

We got our new padding at Walmart. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
ronn

its very inexpensive at a local cloth shop- as suggested walmart.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Hi All:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the interior for my roadster. I've been going back and forth with a member here regarding stuff he has for sale.

Tim, the best way can mean many things. I also suppose it boils down to what works best for you. I use 10oz Burlap to cover the springs and then I use natural cotton that comes in a 15 pound roll as the padding because it looks the most correct. It is often referred to as Dirty Cotton. Other may choose to use synthetic cotton or even foam. Cotton on the roll like I use (-which is about 2" thick) is getting tough to find on the local level as most shops have switched to foam. Some kit manufacturers will even substitute a heavy jute like used in trunks. As mentioned above, if you cannot source it locally, just contact one of the kit manufacturers.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Polyester holofill is a cleaner material that is a lot like cotton batting. Cotton batting is high on linters (seed remnants) so a person should use something over the top of it if using it with cloth. The linters can poke through the cloth. With leather hides or heavy vinyl, cotton will work by itself as long as the materials aren't too thin. Foam can be used as a base material under the padding too. A good quality poly foam will last better than 20-years before it deteriorates as long as the car is well stored.

When Ford started using foam in the 40s, it was all foam rubber (latex foam). Foam rubber is harder to get now and way more expensive than it was back in the day but it lasts for many years.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I may be wrong but I believe that the padding must be cotton to have a chance in national model A club judging .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Tim, the best way can mean many things. I also suppose it boils down to what works best for you. I use 10oz Burlap to cover the springs and then I use natural cotton that comes in a 15 pound roll as the padding because it looks the most correct. It is often referred to as Dirty Cotton. Other may choose to use synthetic cotton or even foam. Cotton on the roll like I use (-which is about 2" thick) is getting tough to find on the local level as most shops have switched to foam. Some kit manufacturers will even substitute a heavy jute like used in trunks. As mentioned above, if you cannot source it locally, just contact one of the kit manufacturers.
Thanks, Brent. I just did a quick search for that "dirty cotton" and cotton padding.

I know this may not fly here, but the car is a hot rod. I just need something that is going to hold up in weather (no top) and feel good on mine and my wife's bottoms.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Polyester holofill is a cleaner material that is a lot like cotton batting. Cotton batting is high on linters (seed remnants) so a person should use something over the top of it if using it with cloth. The linters can poke through the cloth. With leather hides or heavy vinyl, cotton will work by itself as long as the materials aren't too thin. Foam can be used as a base material under the padding too. A good quality poly foam will last better than 20-years before it deteriorates as long as the car is well stored.

You are correct for the most part. Any type of Muslin decking will be fine in high pressure areas. On door panels and seat sides & bands, I don't worry with it that much. Most vinyl (Naugahyde) type fabrics already have a muslin backing, and even on wool broadcloth, so it really is not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I may be wrong but I believe that the padding must be cotton to have a chance in national model A club judging .

Yes, you are correct, -especially on door panels and cushion pleats where it is easily detectible if natural cotton is not used.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
rotorwrench

It takes some research to get the higher grade cotton batting (less linters) but it's still out there. Every time I go by a cotton gin during harvest I get the urge to stop & grab a bale. There is no exact substitute for cotton batting but a lot of suppliers would rather sell the polyester stuff. Most of the really clean stuff after ginning is sold to fabric mills for cloth weaving. The stuff we get for batting is generally not as clean.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It takes some research to get the higher grade cotton batting (less linters) but it's still out there. Every time I go by a cotton gin during harvest I get the urge to stop & grab a bale. There is no exact substitute for cotton batting but a lot of suppliers would rather sell the polyester stuff. Most of the really clean stuff after ginning is sold to fabric mills for cloth weaving. The stuff we get for batting is generally not as clean.
Thank you! I’ll check it out
Old 04-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #14
desotoguy

Google search: Buy Cotton Batting, you will get more than enough choices.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote