Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #41
Terry, NJ

Default Re: NJ is pulling titles on Hotrods

I was also looking for number placement on some frames a friend has. I looked over about four or five frames and couldn't find one or even traces of one. Because your car has been documented to have been in the family, I wouldn't think you'd have much of a problem. They can run the chain of title. As far as Sales Tax is concerned, you can transfer a car in NJ between family members for no consideration with NO sales tax being levied. It's a little known exemption.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC1930 View Post
Bummer, I was looking forward to registering my car this week in NJ but now it sounds like I may be in for a ride. The process in NJ originally sounded better then some other states but now im not so sure. My father gave me the car so I need to transfer the title to my name which hopefully will be painless but it hasn't been registered in years.

I finally got the body back on the frame yesterday so I snapped some quick pics without the hood for the pictures the DMV requires during registration. I hope they dont mistake it for a modified without the hood and headlights on it.

The statement that really concerns me is that they may want to see the frame serial stamp. The car has the original motor with matching numbers to the title and has been in my family since the 30's but it appears the frame was never stamped. I restored the frame with the body off and saw NO indication of a stamp. Not sure what to do if they require it, not to mention I DO NOT want to take that body back off.

Bob NJ
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #42
Terry, NJ

Default Re: NJ is pulling titles on Hotrods

While I really don't advocate breaking the laws, Just how high should we have to jump to become legal? When is the process of legally regristering your legally bought and paid for, car, become a nightmarish process that causes one sleepless nights? We didn't make the laws and we don't collect the taxes. "We" have to comply with the laws or the bureaucrat's interpretation of it in order to legally use our possessions. So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave! Don't wish for a Kafkaesque, all powerfull Govt that really gets things done. You'll find that the Bureaucrats that like such things, will be only too happy to give it to you.
Be glad when someone can "know" someone! You may get to know someone too!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Trying to get car owners , of all types of cars, together is like trying to herd cats! It's amusing to listen to one group snipe another group. But, it's down right disturbing to listen to an intolerant tell someone, in the same basic group, that they are not 'this because of that'! And, you think that some threatening thing will come along to overcome prejudice, hmm.
But, what fries my senses is hypocrisy. How many car owners know "someone" who will "do a favor" using their authority to sign off on a vehicle...when anyone/everyone would know that that is thwarting the law? I've seen it and know of car owners 'friends' who have come to the house to do the "favor". Our society seems to be based ever more lately on this behavior. Herding cats..yeah.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)