Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
Lizzie01

Default Problem with old juice brake conversion

Can someone please help me identify this rear brake conversion hardware.
It was done on a 30 Roadster. I had to replace all hydraulic components, however the rear drums bind when installed. No amount of adjustment on the shoes appears to resolve the problem. I did determine some warpage on the drum mounting surface. I am considering replacing the drums but am not certain what vintage ford drums they are.

Any information would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.9 KB, 150 views)
Lizzie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
old car guy

Default Re: Problem with old juice brake conversion

Look like 1946 ford drums to me
Old 06-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Once had one like that. Laid it upside down on a heavy steel plate. With a steel block & a hammer, pounded out the visible distorsion. It was close enough to be turned on a drum lathe.
Bill W.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

All V8 drums 1940-48 should all interchange even tho they may look a little different.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
Brendan

the taper is different on a V8 rear . my 29 has juice brakes, when it was first done some one installed a axle shim, that is a Band-aid. the drum binds on the backing plate.the shim will move up the axle, inside the housing. i pulled the threads off my axle, i had to replace the axle, not fun. then what i had to do is chuck up the backing plate in a lathe, and take off a 1/16 off the outer rib. then chuck up the brake drum, it was done in
a brake lathe. there is a lip, i had to take a 1/16 off it. it can be done on a brake lathe but you need to find someone that can do it. then i had to mill the shoes, the hole thin is about 1/8 smaller. Google Dennis Cling, he makes parts for A's. he wrote a booklet about this . the hole trouble was it was not don before. that is why axle shims are no good,

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I tried his website, Cling's Aftermarket Parts, the other day and it was down. Anybody know anything about that?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
the taper is different on a V8 rear . my 29 has juice brakes, when it was first done some one installed a axle shim, that is a Band-aid. the drum binds on the backing plate.the shim will move up the axle, inside the housing. i pulled the threads off my axle, i had to replace the axle, not fun. then what i had to do is chuck up the backing plate in a lathe, and take off a 1/16 off the outer rib. then chuck up the brake drum, it was done in
a brake lathe. there is a lip, i had to take a 1/16 off it. it can be done on a brake lathe but you need to find someone that can do it. then i had to mill the shoes, the hole thin is about 1/8 smaller. Google Dennis Cling, he makes parts for A's. he wrote a booklet about this . the hole trouble was it was not don before. that is why axle shims are no good,
Hey Brendan,
Well, it is common knowledge that the surfaces (between backing plate/drum edge) will need reduction , maybe on both, to correct that interference and allow proper fitment. There IS a shim made by Cling and others, that should be used to eliminate the grinding.
If I remember correctly, that shim (aluminum or steel material) was 1/4" thick.

BTW, it is nice if you have lathes and skills to use such. But, I just used grinder and accomplished same effect on backer plate and drum.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 AM   #8
Russ B

It looks like the later Ford backing plates switched from right side to left placing the hydraulic cylinder on the bottom. Worked fine for me back in the sixties. I used a bit of brass shim stock on the drum taper and filed the inner lip of the drum and the backing plate lip both to get adequate clearance.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
Jim Brierley

A and V8 tapers are the same. A shim is needed on most conversions because the A and V8 backers are different. I've found that if you trim about .100 thou off the V8 axle housing's outer flange, a shim is no longer needed. Clings trims a little off the drum to solve the problem.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
A and V8 tapers are the same. A shim is needed on most conversions because the A and V8 backers are different. I've found that if you trim about .100 thou off the V8 axle housing's outer flange, a shim is no longer needed. Clings trims a little off the drum to solve the problem.
i took a 1/16 off the backing plate and a 1/16 of the drum and no spacer . 48 brakes on an A Rear. that is what i did and it worked

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote