Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2016, 12:17 AM   #21
fordor41

Default Re: wiper vacuum source

At the moment I have a vac. pump to run my wipers out of a Toyota 4 Runner. It supplies a ton of vac. but I believe because of wiper is used so little, the wiper motor dries out. Lub it and away it goes. I'm heading to electric motor.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:59 AM   #22
Old Henry

An electric vacuum pump won't do a thing to help a vacuum motor that's not working right. It's not going to provide any more vacuum than the engine does. All the electric pump can do is provide vacuum when the engine isn't providing it on climbs and acceleration.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #23
jms50f5coe

I have a aux. 6 volt vacuum pump on my truck. It has a switch that cycles it on when manifold vacuum is low. Helps alot. Appears to be original to the truck, maybe dealer option. 1950 F5coe
jms50f5coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #24
Old Henry

I got a quote from the seller of the 6 volt pump. $15.00. I ordered one coming by slow boat. Hope it gets here before my next road trip.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #25
Alaska Jim

Old Henry, let us know how it works out, and whether you think it would work as a "stand alone" option, that is , with out the eng. vac. or a double action fuel pump. inquiring minds want to know.-------Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #26
tubman

A quick "Google" search shows that there are quite a few options for vacuum operated switches that could be used to turn the pump on only when needed. I think I am going to forego my search for a vacuum reservoir for a while until we hear from Henry.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:41 PM   #27
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
An electric vacuum pump won't do a thing to help a vacuum motor that's not working right. It's not going to provide any more vacuum than the engine does. All the electric pump can do is provide vacuum when the engine isn't providing it on climbs and acceleration.
that was the point of the vac. pump. A constant, reliable source of vacuum. But the vac motors do tend to dry out from sitting idle for periods of time.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #28
carguybill

Vacuum pumps are used regularly to maintain vacuum to vacuum operated power brake boosters. they activate when the manifold vacuum drops like when the engine dies, for example. I use one on my '77 GMC motorhome. They are readily available at the "men's malls" aka junk yards. Problem is I suspect most, if not all, will be 12 volt.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:03 AM   #29
Old Henry

Bad news. Received notice today that my order for the 6 volt vacuum pump was canceled by the supplier. No other explanation given. And I was so excited to try it out. It seemed a very promising, cheap and easily installed solution to the sometimes inconsistent vacuum from the engine. I'm still passionate to try this out if I can find another source of a 6 volt pump. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #30
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Bad news. Received notice today that my order for the 6 volt vacuum pump was canceled by the supplier. No other explanation given. And I was so excited to try it out. It seemed a very promising, cheap and easily installed solution to the sometimes inconsistent vacuum from the engine. I'm still passionate to try this out if I can find another source of a 6 volt pump. Any help would be appreciated.
Perhaps a 12 volt pump powered by a stand alone 12 volt battery (like the little jump start booster pack)
If I still had vacuum wipers I would probably go the booster pump route but I have long since converted to electric wipers.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #31
Old Henry

I actually had a message from a different supplier this morning that they will sell me one. It's coming by DHL so hopefully will get here soon to try out. I'll report (yea, and even video) how it goes.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #32
petehoovie

Quote:
I actually had a message from a different supplier this morning that they will sell me one. It's coming by DHL so hopefully will get here soon to try out. I'll report (yea, and even video) how it goes.
I hope it works. Looking forward to seeing the video Henry....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
Merc Cruzer

This would work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-1950s-...NVWfc4&vxp=mtr
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #34
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Boy, he's proud of that!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #35
Lawson Cox

"shore nuff." is.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #36
Old Henry

Darn! It didn't work!

Got the 6 volt electric vacuum pump in from Hong Kong and excitedly hooked it up. It pumped away but never budged my wipers. I checked the amount of vacuum created and it was the same as my engine - 14-15 Hg. I guess there just wasn't enough volume.

Not a total waste of the $40.00 I paid to get the pump. I learned something that I always wondered about and wanted to know. Now I do. All education is worth something. Especially when it can be shared with others who get to learn without the "tuition" charge.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-01-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #37
flatheadmurre

What was the rated flow of the pump you got ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #38
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
What was the rated flow of the pump you got ?
13 L/min

I would have thought that if the volume wasn't high enough that it would move the wipers but slowly but it didn't even budge them. Maybe something else is wrong. The wipers work just fine on the engine vacuum.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-01-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #39
Marv

Smile Re: wiper vacuum source

Quote:
13 L/min

I would have thought that if the volume wasn't high enough that it would move the wipers but slowly but it didn't even budge them. Maybe something else is wrong. The wipers work just fine on the engine vacuum.
There is nothing wrong with your wipers Henry. Those units are worthless for what you are trying to do. There was a unit at the same site you gave us that may work. It was around $150 if i remember right. There is no way to get by cheap that i know of.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #40
Old Henry

It may well be that this pump is just not sufficient to the task. But, with some more testing tonight I discovered a weakness in my wiper vacuum motor that is likely contributing to the pump's inability to operate it.

With the wiper switch turned off, I'm able to get 13-14 Hg of vacuum in the line to the wiper motor. But, it fades pretty fast when I shut the pump off - like back to 0 in 2-3 seconds.

When I turn on the pump with the wiper switch turned on, I can't get more than about 2-3 Hg of vacuum. So, the vacuum motor just doesn't seal tight enough for the pump to create enough vacuum to run it.

It may be that all vacuum wiper motors are not tight enough or it may be that the pump would actually do something for a wiper motor that seals tighter. My vacuum motor has not been rebuilt with all new parts. It has just been cleaned and lubricated to work fine for me.

If anyone wants to try it out on what they think is a tighter sealing vacuum motor let me know and I'll send it for you to try out. If it works, you can pay me for it. If not, you can send it back.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-02-2016 at 09:47 AM.