Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Fast and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
There is a solution to all the concern over TV shows. Don't own a TV ! I haven't had one in my home in over 30 years! Threw it out long time ago do not miss anything about it! When those folks from TV show The Pickers Called about coming to my place I said No Thanks. Lots of locals had told them about my place but I don't want the hassle
YOU are my hero! Good for you and that is the best advice I've heard in some time. The older I get the more annoying TV is I guess because I'm finally seeing what a load of garbage it all is, the marketing, selling, and all of that. That is really all it is, endless sales somebody wanting something out of you. I wouldn't miss it at all but others in the household would. At least at this point subject to change.........
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #22
vulture

TV gives me a headache so I only use it for back ground noise as I read a book ..
Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #23
Keith True

I get a lot of people telling me that pickers would like to come here.I still really don't know what the show is about,as I've never seen it.Somebody was here looking at something I had for sale,he seemed to think I was one of the guys in one of those shows.I think he called it downeast dick something.He kept asking me if I was the guy in the show.I had never heard of it.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
Brian in Wheeling

My bumper sticker ..." Kill your television".
I get a lot of comments about it.

Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #25
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Wheeling View Post
My bumper sticker ..." Kill your television".
I get a lot of comments about it.

Brian W.
Frank Zappa
"I'm The Slime"

[backing vocals Tina Turner & The Ikettes]

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks . . .
Don't touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

I am the slime from your video
Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

Oozin' along on your livin' room floor

Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #26
Bill G

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My wife and I watch Pickers frequently. It's a sad commentary to have cable with hundreds of channels and on some nights, we revert to Pickers just because it seems better than anything else on. Hundreds of channels and nothing to watch!

Pickers is ok, but I have to say that it looks pretty well staged. Like someone looks surprised when they knock on the door. Oh, never mind the other truck and all those guys with cameras and mikes. Yeah right.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #27
triumphleroy

Man I have never seen the Pickers either, But I do like the words from That Song The " "SLIME" Is there really a recorded version? I would need it in 45 Rpm or 78 Rpm !
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #28
Licensed to kill

I'm the slime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwR9pZ74j8Q
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #29
triumphleroy

Haven't found my speakers for the PC since the tornado destroyed my home 2 .5 years ago. Just now getting back online a little bit. If i get into town I might buy a little earphone though! Thanks for the link!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #30
History

I was in the tree business for many years, take downs, pruning, stump removal,,,,,,,,,. I watched this realty show on logging in the northwest, southeast,,. I would get so annoyed watching the made up drama when in reality a lot of the people doing that kind of work need no coaching for drama. I worked for a company cutting right of way before I started my own business doing residential work. You never knew who on Monday morning had slept with who's wife, who had had be arrested over the weekend, who had been knifed. Some of the guys were good people just trying to make a living but WOW!

My wife and daughter were watching honey boo boo and asked me to watch it with them, I was a little insulted but sat down planning on doing something on my iPad and was watching it before I knew it. In ten minutes I was hooked and I would laugh at anyone else who said the same BUT,,, that family couldn't be coached, or follow a script. The producers wanted it to be just all the other reality shows but it was like herding cats, couldn't be done. It was reality watching them try to make a reality show. The kids did have more freedom to make drama like making a mess in the house. They were catching farts and putting them in each other's faces and so on.

The mom got the show cancelled when she started dating the guy again who had been in prison for molesting one of the girls. You seriously couldn't make the stuff up.

I can't watch any of it now, as was stated ^^^^^^, I'd rather watch WWF and I could never watch that. I wouldn't let those picker guys on my place either. They seem like leaches. oh please let me have this for cheap so I can make dollars on it. They just seem like bums to me. I guess it works out for buyer and seller sometimes but I don't like someone pilfering through my things, trying to get it cheap. My things came to hard to give away, unless it's to help someone less fortunate.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #31
triumphleroy

I was reading about folks worrying about Pine needles on the cars in another post and wondered how they would take 9 10 Ton Pine Trees across the roof of their home and their 28 sport Coupe and 1940 ford......That is what took place at my home totaled home and no coverage on cars......
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #32
History

Wow, sorry to hear of the bad fortune. That's DRAMA! And reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
I was reading about folks worrying about Pine needles on the cars in another post and wondered how they would take 9 10 Ton Pine Trees across the roof of their home and their 28 sport Coupe and 1940 ford......That is what took place at my home totaled home and no coverage on cars......
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #33
holdover

I don't have cable so I do not watch the show (got tired of paying 80 per month to watch a commercial every five minutes) went to Netflix and Amazon and for the price couldn't be happier. It sickens me whenever I hear people destroying a nice restorable vehicle, but I understand why they do it, they are just following what has been done from the time these vehicles were almost new. Multiply what you see on TV by 1000 and that is what is happening in garages and shops all over the country, with many of the projects never completed just cut apart. I prefer mine original and the four As that I have are nice drivers, not fine point judging. I can admire some of the "HotRods " that I have seen, and realize that in most cases a nicely done one is worth way more than an original A, but it is not my cup of tea. With that being said if I ever run across a really beat up roadster or coupe, I have a '41 Flathead that is just waiting for a home to make an old school hot rod.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

Could any of us do a "BETTER" show?--LOL
Bill Actor
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #35
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill Actor
I don’t think it would take much in the line of talent.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #36
rowens55

Wow!! You guys are pretty rough on shows you "don't watch"......just sayin....
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #37
History

I thînk it's more along the lines of,, pretty rough on shows we gave a chance by watching and they turned out to be a lie, not reality.

Reality is like one morning I'm watching the today show and Al Roker asks a lady in her home during a live interview when she's due, she wasn't pregnant!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:50 PM   #38
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
When I decide to sell my roadster it will most likely go to one of those type of guys.It was scouted for an outfit that makes some kind of films that they want to peddle to TV people.I don't have cable TV so I have never seen any of these shows.They made an offer of $3500.more than any A guys were offering at the time.I said to them I knew of a couple A roadsters that were nice looking,older 60's and 70's restorations that were cheaper.Turns out they were after the shock value of tearing apart a low mile unrestored barn car.People screaming at the TV set for them being butchers translates into dollars for them.
Don't sell it to them if you can avoid it.
That's the problem with this car thing... everyone wants to buy the car for peanuts & crush it because it's worth more as flattened mush. Not enough enthusiasts and too many cars, apparently. And there's not as many cars as you'd think. Not by 1/10th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill Actor
Yes. But nobody would watch it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:04 AM   #39
Bob-A

I think Fantom Works is the best overall of the car shows. No silly made up drama and they work on all kinds of vehicles. Looks to me like they do good work and sometimes even state the cost and time involved with the restoration/repair. Kendigit Design and Chasing Classic Cars are Okay. I especially like the mechanic (Tom ?) on Chasing Classic Cars. One car show
recently "rodded" (or crapped on as I call it) a nice older restored "A" pickup. When I saw that I immediately switched channels.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #40
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I think Fantom Works is the best overall of the car shows. No silly made up drama and they work on all kinds of vehicles. Looks to me like they do good work and sometimes even state the cost and time involved with the restoration/repair. Kendigit Design and Chasing Classic Cars are Okay. I especially like the mechanic (Tom ?) on Chasing Classic Cars. One car show
recently "rodded" (or crapped on as I call it) a nice older restored "A" pickup. When I saw that I immediately switched channels.

Bob-A
Fantom works is ok except Dan Short is the most annoying idiot I've seen. Every time someone makes a request or has a problem he makes a face like I can't deal with this. I think the brake tests are bs.
American Pickers is only good for the fact that you get to look in some back yards you can only drive by. After that it is all made up.