Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
Brendan

Default my trip to Dearborn

I had a good time in Dearborn, we went to Henry's House. they had it open last Sat. we where able to go in and see the first floor, and walk around the grounds. i went to piquette ave factory, that was very interesting. then we went to Greenfield Village that was neat to see also. i liked going into Edison's Menlo Park Lab, and powerhouse. that was a good day. then we went to the Henry Ford Museum . i could not believe the size of the building, Henry must have been very busy to build the museum and Greenfield Village. and work at the Rouge. we also went there too. that was interesting. i don't think i could work there, i hope the workers get to do different jobs. then we went to Edsle's house what a grand place . then we went to the Early Ford V8 foundation. that was also fun. i bought 2 raffle tickets to win the 39 Merc they have for a drawing. i will be going back in oct to pick it up. i need to find a place to put it...LOL

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Cecil/WV

Default Re: my trip to Dearborn

You will figure out where to park the mercury.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Brendan, it sounds like you two made all the rounds and had a good time on your trip.
Maybe think about the possibility of driving that Mercury to Deaborn in 2018 to attend the Early Ford V-8 Club's Grand National Meet.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
nelsb01

While they did a great job when they re-did the Henry Ford Museum -- you should see if you can find pictures of what it used to look like back in the 70's. I kid you not -- Henry had on display one of every washing machine, one of every wooden wheel vehicle (even if it was not a Ford), one of every tractor, and lots lots lots more. It was a busy place.
So, if you were impressed now, there used to be so much more to see and try to digest.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
Fordors

I first went there in '72 and yes, the museum was daunting, there was just so much to take in. It you were interested in the development of industrial technology it certainly was the place to visit. I have not been there since 1979 but I think now with the renovation the museum would be more attractive to the average person.
Greenfield Village is just incredible, the attention to detail is staggering. Henry had something like six rail cars of soil from outside Edison's laboratory in Menlo Park excavated and brought to the Village because as the technicians on the second floor emptied bottles and containers they used to toss them out the windows. The Wright Bros bicycle shop, the desk where Webster compiled his dictionary, and much, much more and in many cases they are the actual structures, disassembled and moved.
One thing that my wife and I have regretted many times was not attending a period menu dinner in Sesquahanna House, an old tavern dating from 1670 or there about. I would not recommend going to the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village expecting to do both in one day, there is just too much to see.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
mercman from oz

Brendan, I can vouch that Greenfield Village is a wonderful place to visit. It is very spacious and well laid out. It is easy to spend a whole day there. These photos show Ford Motor Company Building, Edison Building and Cotswold Cottage. Henry really excelled himself creating this place for all to enjoy.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 AM   #7
48-710

I was lucky enough to visit the Henry Ford museum in 1982. The thing that sticks in my mind is that HUGH steam train engine that was against a wall. A truly remarkable place.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
LOWRIDER

I grew up a couple miles from Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum yet never went there until my 30's when I took my son there.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWRIDER View Post
I grew up a couple miles from Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum yet never went there until my 30's when I took my son there.
its like that, things in your one back yard, you don't usually see

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
stangblue

Brendan nice to hear about your trip to Dearborn. I have on my bucket list those sites myself. I want to go when The Henry Ford Old Car Festival is going on. I heard the cut off date for showing a car is 1932. That leaves me out "Drats".

Last edited by stangblue; 05-27-2017 at 07:03 AM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Brendan, it sounds like you two made all the rounds and had a good time on your trip.
Maybe think about the possibility of driving that Mercury to Deaborn in 2018 to attend the Early Ford V-8 Club's Grand National Meet.
The Grand National in 2018 is going to be in Dearborn? I figured it was always going to be in Auburn.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
DavidG

Always? National Meets, yes, and another one is planned for 2019, but no Grand National Meet has been held there.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
37 Coupe

I guess I assumed that it was going to move to Auburn next to the Early Ford Museum. I think the Grand National in 2013 was at Lake Tahoe,correct?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
DavidG

Correct, and Dearborn in 2008. The only other Grand National Meet not held in Dearborn was at Tulsa back in the 1970s. It's easy to sometimes overlook the fact that the Club and the Foundation are separate entities with separate Boards of Directors/Trustees whose decisions are confined to their respective entities.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

They are marvelous places to visit, I've only been there three times and that is not enough.

Brendan check my PM I am sending to you.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote