Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
billy myers

Default headgasket thikness after torque

an anyone tell me the thickness of a copper headgasket after tourque also on the felpro self sealing I will be using the best gasket copper
billy myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
PC/SR

Default Re: headgasket thikness after torque

Don't know about the copper, the Best composition gasket compresses down to .050-055, at 60 lbs torque for me.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
waxhead

This is a response I received from Best gaskets on the thickness of their gaskets when torqued to 55 lbs

"Here is the compressed thickness:

509G .055 +/- .002

509C .052 +/- .002

GraphTite is best used with an aluminum head and 509C for Cast Iron heads"
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
billy myers

thanks guys that's what I was looking for I have a Wieland red head it been cut a lot over the years no piston reliefs left going to clay valves and pistons and find my berray and ck cc any one know stock cc on a weiland red thanks to all that responded
Old 12-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
PC/SR

I don't think the Weiand heads had colors, mine doesn't. Maybe you are thinking of the Winfield?
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy myers View Post
thanks guys that's what I was looking for I have a Wieland red head it been cut a lot over the years no piston reliefs left going to clay valves and pistons and find my berray and ck cc any one know stock cc on a weiland red thanks to all that responded
Hey Billy,
Can you show pictures of your head ?
Weiand (alum) heads that I'm familiar with did not have 'colors' assigned them , to my knowledge ?
Maybe you have a Winfield red head and there were yellow head also.
If Winfield redhead, I think 7:1 without millings. Yeah, be sure to WATCH out for the 'no relief' over piston situation !! Are you running stock Ford pistons ? They had about .031 'popup' originally and you must be aware of this for a head with no relief !

BTW...there are a couple of ways that you can go , if no relief and tooo close tolerance.
Doubleing up head gaskets ; milling piston tops flat to block; ordering solid copper hear gasket to custom spec. And , of course, selling that Winfield to me and buying a proper Weiand
I've made a couple of these 'adjustments successfully, so it can be done

Last edited by hardtimes; 12-08-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
billy myers

thanks to all for the help ment to say Winfield hard times don't know how much it was milled c the chambers tonight 102 103 103 104 do u know stock cc pistons proud .040 80 overbore stock stroke will clay valves tomorrow and pistons what do u think on clearance if I do ell u got ist shot hardtimes thanks also no relifes left on head
Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
billy myers

283 chevy pistons hardtimes what spark plugs are u using to start
Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Hey Billy,
Don't know what the original cc was. Have you looked on top of this head for a rectangular flat area. On this area, there is information as to head comp ratio and date made. Maybe crusted over and have to clean to see ?
Anyway, to start my new B with 7:1 alum Super Winfield, I'm using NOS Champions J-9. Later I will buy either NKG BP6HS or Autolite 4123 or 273.
Whatever plug that you try, while the head is off, fit the plug to be sure that the plug does NOT extend down past the bottom of head.
Let us know what you find when you clay pistons/valve heads clearance
Old 12-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
Fordors

Quote:
do u know stock cc pistons proud .040 80 overbore
Billy, if I understand you correctly the pistons displace 8 cc each @ + .040 deck, but the four valve reliefs will remove about 4 CC, giving a net of 4 CC.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Billy, if I understand you correctly the pistons displace 8 cc each @ + .040 deck, but the four valve reliefs will remove about 4 CC, giving a net of 4 CC.
I'm wondering where the 4 cc figure came from?

The valve heads should actually be seated above the block surface, rather than recessed, even though I've seen several with worn or ground out valve seats, and the valves set too low.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
Fordors

Unless I misunderstood Billy he was inquiring about the volume displaced by his + .080 283 Chevy pistons that protrude .040. The amount they are positive (or negative for that matter) will effect his compression ratio and I think that is his concern. Stock type 283 flat top pistons will have 4 valve reliefs that are approximately 1 CC each, hence 8-4=4 CC.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

OK, thanks. That makes sense.

I think there are now Chevy style pistons being made without the valve relief.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Hey Billy,
Fordors is correct in his help with cc, if you have the original type chev pistons...with the 4 valve divits on top of piston. Or do you have the custom made from vendor without such divits

Again, if your chev pistons come above deck height, you might consider either another head or cut tops of those chev pistons to be flat with block. I cut my pistons to deck height and am happy with that, as I also have NO flycuts above pistons !
Old 12-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
billy myers

I have my valves above the block dident get to clay valves and pistons yet indexed crank tonight going to do cam timeing tomorrow may be this weekend before I clay ha ha hardtimes u really want that head don't u pistons above block will give me more compression as long as I have clearance wont flycut or relieve us less not enough clearance pad on head says 7 to 1 hard times did u cc your head just curious what u came up with did u clay wondering what your clearances are thanks fordoor and hardtimes that's what I was looking for
Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
I have my valves above the block dident get to clay valves and pistons yet indexed crank tonight going to do cam timeing tomorrow may be this weekend before I clay ha ha hardtimes u really want that head don't u pistons above block will give me more compression as long as I have clearance wont flycut or relieve us less not enough clearance pad on head says 7 to 1 hard times did u cc your head just curious what u came up with did u clay wondering what your clearances are thanks fordoor and hardtimes that's what I was looking for
Hey Billy,
Yeah, you are right about more compression, as long as you have about .040 or more is better. I clayed about .035 pistons and valves (without head gasket on) and am happy with that. Remember that that clearance will change with head gasket added and compressed. My copper head gasket compressed to .050. So, check out what your head gasket will provide when compressed also and add to clay reading.
When pistons 'popup' into a head that allows and still has clearance, that will give more compression. I did not cc my Winfield, as I was only concerned about clearance of valves/piston top. Not much chamber room at all. I'm thinking that the Super Winfield new is 7.5:! . At 4 inch pistons, I'm wondering about sealing between 1and 2 and 3 and 4 holes, so using copper wire.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #17
billy myers

I was told that the b gasket by best gasket was the best that's what I am using the graphite one don't have the part number handy waxhead told me would compress around .050 getting confussed on cam timeing had to quit for the night think its going to be a weekend project don't do this every day im a body man readings I am getting may have to machine a crank key
Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
I was told that the b gasket by best gasket was the best that's what I am using the graphite one don't have the part number handy waxhead told me would compress around .050 getting confussed on cam timeing had to quit for the night think its going to be a weekend project don't do this every day im a body man readings I am getting may have to machine a crank key
Here is a picture of the cam timing. You can buy a ready made key for the crankshaft gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timing Gear Marks.jpg (78.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Hey Billy,
What are you trying to do ? If you are trying to locate top dead center (TDC) with the head off, that is pretty easy. Maybe do not understand what you are after/doing ?
Attach a positive piston stop to top of block. This stops the piston at near its upper most travel. Rotate the crank one way till piston top touches (stops) against piston stop. Then make a mark on crank pulley. Should have a timing pointer, which is helpful. Turn engine OPPOSITE way until piston is again against piston stop device. Now mark crank pulley again. Divide distance between these two marks that you made. This is close to DTC. Hopefully you have a pointer made/attached to work with. I use a timing light, some do not

Just re-read your input. If you are installing a cam gear, there are markings on crank gear and cam gear that you simply ensure that they are mated when installing.

Last edited by hardtimes; 12-10-2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: ......
Old 12-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #20
billy myers

I got tdc like u said put degree wheel on crank I know what to do eyes and mind playing games with me I am degreeing cam making sure valves opening and closing where ther supposed to be in relationship to piston top and bottom dead center dident know u could by off set crank keys may want to advance cam timeing don't know yet thanks for your concern will keep u posted thanks been a long time sinced I done this I think .004 equals 1 crank degree cant remember I will figure it out