Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
BillEbob

Smile Newbie to Model A's

Greetings All!

Strange at my age to be called a 'newbie' but, yes, that's what I am both to this forum and to Model A's.

I have been a Mustang aficionado for 20 years, owning a '68 Coupe and a '69 Convertible (both were 1 owner cars!) (the convertible I restored to concours.) The convertible has won "GOLD" at National MCA Shows. Additionally, I became an MCA (Mustang Club of America) Certified Judge.

Now I am feeling the urge to change gears and learn about the Model A. My plans are to sell the '68 to be able to afford an "A." I have joined the local MAFCA Model A Club in Albuquerque, "Poco Quatros" -- a really great group of folks, extremely knowledgeable about A's. Too, I purchased Les Andrews' book (having perused it cover to cover) and also ordered a copy of Mike's Catalog pouring over it like a kid with a new comic book.

The Model A coupe (and it's soft topped brother) really attract my attention but I don't know if I can get my fat belly and legs into one and be comfortable. I spoke with one club member (at the State Fair display) who told me that with his Deluxe Coupe he has to enter through the passenger door and slide over because the fender-mounted spare keeps the (very small) door from opening widely enough for entrance and egress.

Is it possible that one of you nice folks would be willing to furnish me with a couple of dimensions? 1) how wide is the (driver's) door opening on a 5-winow coupe (without fender-mounted spare) and 2) what is the distance from the leading edge of the steering wheel to the back cushion of the seat?

I do believe that these measurements might give me a clue as to whether I might fit or not. (I have a replaced left knee that gives me fits trying to get that leg into most modern cars!) Luckily, the doors of my convertible Mustang are wide enough to allow me entrance without too much difficulty.

I saw a video of a '30 Coupe advertised on West Coast Classic Cars' website that showed a replaced steering wheel that 'appeared' to be adjustable. Are there indeed replacements like that available?

Thanks for your help in this new odyssey of finding a "good fit" for me!

Bill in Albuquerque
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
René W

Default Re: Newbie to Model A's

Welcome Bill,you have joined a model a club so i think the easiest option is to find a member who has the same car type you want an just try if you fit into that model.
I own a '29 Tudor and i had to mount the seat backwarts 3 inch so my knees did not touch the steering wheel while shifting gears and breaking,i am not a tall guy,only 1.85 meter.
Good luck,René
Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
sethkestenbaum

welcome
Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
Anteek29

Best to try the fit of several Model A body types...your club members will be happy to help!
BTW, I am 6' and fit in my unmodified coupe OK but a bit snug.
1955 Victoria

Last edited by Anteek29; 10-12-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Add info
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Welcome to the Barn BillEBob.

I hope this scan helps you. Better to try out one for size, they are tight. I had to move the seat back 3" and bend the shifter 1" to the right to be comfy in my '30 Town Sedan. I'm 6'2", 190lb.

Easiest way for me to get in is to step over the running board with my right foot, sit down, then drag in my left foot.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

BIGGER...
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
glenn in camino

I've heard that if you remove the package tray, you can move the seat back for more room up front. Although I've never done it.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
kenparker

I am 6 ft 1 in tall and most of it is legs. getting in and out with stiff knees is a challenge, but once in my 31 coupe is comfortable.
When building it 10 years ago I removed two inches of the package tray and moved the seat back until it touched the front edge of the tray. Oh, makes a difference but I am only 145 lbs. Yeah. skinny!. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
BillEbob

[QUOTE=Y-Blockhead;1538631]

"Blockhead" thanks for that rendering! It answers all my questions, now I just have to adjust the seat and tilt wheel to those dimensions in my daily driver and
voilá, I will have some idea of what the coupe will be like!
Moving that seat back sounds like an excellent idea!

Any familiarity with the after market steering wheel I mentioned?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Welcome Bill,

Since you have restored Mustangs you will have the skills to work on an A. Albeit, some things will be slightly different. But what do yo want to do with the car? Long/short tours/parades/kids/grandkids will all play into the answer. Coupes are great for two people inside and two ADULTS in the rumble seat-there is no lock to keep it open in a collision. And very little trunk space for long trips. Room? Go for a sedan there is plenty. Although the 28-early 31 Fordoors all have wood bodies so be careful.

For the steering wheel, I think you are referring to the 'fat man' steering wheel. It will flip up so that the 'larger girthed' people can get in. Not sure where to send you to look for one other than Ebay.

Mike
Old 10-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
I am 6 ft 1 in tall and most of it is legs. getting in and out with stiff knees is a challenge, but once in my 31 coupe is comfortable.
When building it 10 years ago I removed two inches of the package tray and moved the seat back until it touched the front edge of the tray. Oh, makes a difference but I am only 145 lbs. Yeah. skinny!. ken
Ken's post turned on the light!

If I were younger and not 86, I would pursue making thinner package trays to solve the "fit" problems. Judges may not even notice 2" narrower..
Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 AM   #12
30ccpickup

Different years different sizes

http://www.smcars.net/threads/ford-m...27-1931.31679/

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #13
Tinbasher

What you may be talking about is a Fat Man steering wheel. Google it and see what you find.

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
BillEbob

Wink Re: Newbie to Model A's

Thanks all! Great information!! Your efforts to welcome me and help answer initial questions are MUCH appreciated!

In fact, I did Google 'Fatman' steering wheels and I have a strong feeling that that was what the video (on West Coast Classic Cars) showed on a '30 coupe. The salesman made no reference to that particular feature but it could clearly be seen. The salesman DID make reference to an electric fuel pump (car had an ugly toggle switch prominently mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.)

Wouldn't an electric fuel pump cause too much pressure to the carburetor, or is that something used just for starting a stubborn engine?

Bill
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
Steve_Mack_CT

Bill, welcome and I think you will end up with a nice mix of eras keeping one Mustang and moving into a Model A.

A sound stock runner should not need an electric fuel pump. If the engine is set up with multiple carbs or such, that is one thing, but otherwise I would be suspect of an electric pump on a stock Model A.

I have lost 30 lbs since acquiring our latest A, a roadster, and it does help a bit. YOu generally have a little more room in the '30 - '31s. As mentioned above, sedans can be roomy - - also, from what I have seen here in New England anyway, they have a good following which is different from the usual collector car rule of 4 doors is 2 too many. People like the room for others, nice ride and enclosed comfort for cold weather touring. If I had room for another I might go for a nice 4 window sedan. They can be kind of fancy inside as well. But it sounds like your leaning coupe, good luck on your search, maybe you can find someone to trade with?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
100IH

You're right, no need with up draft carb. and gravity delivery
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Dick Steinkamp

The Victoria had an adjustable driver's seat. I believe that is the only Model A that came stock with one.

Various Model A parts vendors sell two types of seat adjusters for the Tudor Sedan. The permanent type moves the seat back about 3".

https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=5701

The adjustable type can move the seat back up to 5".

https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=5700
Old 10-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #18
jrelliott

Welcome to the Model A. A good parts vendor that is a lot closer than Mike's and is very knowledgeable is Arizona Model A located in Gilbert, AZ. Sammy Guthrie is very helpful.
Also Bert's in Denver. The quality of items from either is tops.
I have a '28 Fordor and is difficult to enter as the front seat is fixed to center post and does not move like the later models. You have to do a shuffle to enter rear first, then pul legs in. Not bad after getting in.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
BillEbob

Dick,
I had looked for a Vicky but found none in this area (a friend is building a '40 Ford that he bought sight unseen ((Maine)) and it turned out to be a rust bucket!) Can't afford to fly around the country looking at Vicky's then arranging to pay for shipping!)

BTW: Was the 400-A built out of "unobtainium?" What makes those beasts so darned expensive?!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
BillEbob

jr,

I am familiar with Pinetop, Arizona but not with Pine, AZ. You're south of Flagstaff, right?

Thanks for the tips re: parts sellers! Sammie must be right outside Tucson, I'm guessing.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #21
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
The Victoria had an adjustable driver's seat. I believe that is the only Model A that came stock with one.
'30-31 Fordors have adjustable front seats.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
BillEbob

Cool Re: Newbie to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
BIGGER...
I DID IT! Set the steering wheel and seat (of my Sonata) to the
dimensions shown in the mechanical drawings posted by
Y-Blockhead!

Someone would have to have the contour of an airmail envelope
to fit in that tiny space! lol 😂

That being the case, there is no way on God's green earth that
a coupe will work for me❗I'm thinking that I'll have to go back
to my original idea of a '31 Vicky. The reason I strayed from
persuing that model is the lack of availability in and around my
State (New Mexico).

Any of you from NM have one that you're not telling me about?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #23
TerryO

Quote:
That being the case, there is no way on God's green earth that
a coupe will work for me❗
BillEbob, I have a '69 GT350 and 4 Model A's and I can tell you that it is easy to downshift to Model A speed and upshift to Shelby speed. I think you will find driving the Model A is the most fun you can have. Like some of the others have said, find a 30/31 coupe and try it out. I have a 31 Sport Coupe and it isn't bad getting in and out (I'm 6'1"and 220 and have stiff joints and aches and pains that come with birthdays)

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Well keep in mind the Vicky was only built in '30-31 for an approximate total of 40,000. The coupe on the other hand was built for all four years. The approximate total just for'30-31 was 306,000 (and about 600,000 total).
These are just rounded off figures to give you an idea what your looking at in terms of finding a Victoria.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
daveymc29

I've seen a lot of coupes with adjustable seats. My 31 de Luxe coupe has one and I believe it to be original to the car. A friend has a 30 coupe and the seat in that adjusted also, also looked to be stock. With the package rack gone you may be able to gain about 4 inched. My problem with the 31 roadsters is that the windscrean is so short I have to hunch down to see out. I'm 6 feet tall but with long body, short legs. I sit 6"6". I like the 31 coupe once inside, but the entry and exit is a show in itself. Try some of those Poco guys cars, I know they are wonderful folks and will let you try them on for size. Welcome to the hobby.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #26
dmdeaton

Me and wife just got into the A disease a few months ago. We went to the local museum and they let her climb all over the different models trying them out. What did she settle on? Roadster, which all the guys at the museum said not a good choice. I am 6'1" 220lb. So we started looking for a 4 door. What did we end up buying? A roadster. I have to back into it and drag my right leg in, but once in it feels like a form fitted shoe. We love it and she loves to drive it also.
dmdeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #27
Karl

My first Model A was a 1930 Sports Coupe. I'm 6'2" and probably 240 lbs

Absolutely no problem getting in or out of my coupe or driving it . What I think a lot of people do when they restore the car is that the don't wire the seat springs correctly. When Henry built them the springs were compressed and wired compressed prior to covering. Looking at restored seats most appear to be minimally compressed if at all.

If done as original gives you a lot of extra space- an inch or two in the seat and in the back rest makes a big difference -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #28
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEbob View Post
Dick,
I had looked for a Vicky but found none in this area (a friend is building a '40 Ford that he bought sight unseen ((Maine)) and it turned out to be a rust bucket!) Can't afford to fly around the country looking at Vicky's then arranging to pay for shipping!)

BTW: Was the 400-A built out of "unobtainium?" What makes those beasts so darned expensive?!
There is a Victoria for sale on the MFCA website (www.mafca.com) in the classified section. It is located in Wichita Falls, TX. Seems to be reasonably priced.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdeaton View Post
Me and wife just got into the A disease a few months ago. We went to the local museum and they let her climb all over the different models trying them out. What did she settle on? Roadster, which all the guys at the museum said not a good choice. I am 6'1" 220lb. So we started looking for a 4 door. What did we end up buying? A roadster. I have to back into it and drag my right leg in, but once in it feels like a form fitted shoe. We love it and she loves to drive it also.
The cure for that is to take two Studebakers and get plenty of rest.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #30
BillEbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
There is a Victoria for sale on the MFCA website (www.mafca.com) in the classified section. It is located in Wichita Falls, TX. Seems to be reasonably priced.

David Serrano
Thanks for the heads-up, contacted seller. It's already sold to someone from my State!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #31
1955cj5

I don't know anything about this car, just happened to see it listed....to far from here to go look...

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...282688316.html
Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #32
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by René W View Post
Welcome Bill,you have joined a model a club so i think the easiest option is to find a member who has the same car type you want an just try if you fit into that model.
I own a '29 Tudor and i had to mount the seat backwarts 3 inch so my knees did not touch the steering wheel while shifting gears and breaking,i am not a tall guy,only 1.85 meter.
Good luck,René
If your knee gets trapped under the steering wheel when going from the clutch to the brake while in first gear (like at every complete stop) then the issue is with the shift lever. They bend pretty easily, and can wind up leaning a little toward the driver's side leaving no room for your knee to get by the steering wheel. A little force will cause it to lean a little toward the passenger side completely elimination the problem.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
BillEbob

Wink Re: Newbie to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
I don't know anything about this car, just happened to see it listed....to far from here to go look...

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...282688316.html
1955cj5,

After restoring 2 Mustangs, my 4 spinal surgeries have left me unable to
even think of tackling a Model A! At this point in life I'm looking for a car
I can wash, wax, drive and maintain! lol 😂 Some of you can understand!

Anybody else know of a Vicky that just needs a driver?

Bill
Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #34
BillEbob

Talking Re: Newbie to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Well keep in mind the Vicky was only built in '30-31 for an approximate total of 40,000. The coupe on the other hand was built for all four years. The approximate total just for'30-31 was 306,000 (and about 600,000 total).
These are just rounded off figures to give you an idea what your looking at in terms of finding a Victoria.
At a local show 'n' shine yesterday, I ran into "Mr. KnowsEverything" who told me that I "knew nothing" about Model A's because Vicky's were built from 1928 onward! I just kept my mouth shut remembering my dad's saying about wrestling with a pig in the mud! lol

I am REALLY bothered about needing to pass on the Deluxe Coupe that I found in my own state because it is a 2 owner car! How many of those does a guy come across?!

Bill