Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
jason78613

Default Bob Drake fuel sending unit / customer service

I ordered a gas tank from Bob Drake, which required that I buy their sender unit also. The shop that installed the tank said the sending unit was pretty stiff and they tried to make it move as freely as possible, but the unit doesn't show accurate reading until the tank is about half empty. (I guess knowing it's low is more important than knowing if it's full, but it's still not right that it doesn't work correctly.)

So I called Bob Drake and told them the issue and that I believe it may have been a faulty unit... the rep basically said "how do I know you're not the one who messed it up when installing it?" and told me I'd have to buy a new one... guy was pretty rude and accusatory too.

1. Has anyone else had problems with the Bob Drake sending uint?

2. Has anyone experienced similar customer service from Bob Drake?
jason78613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Bob Drake fuel sending unit / customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason78613 View Post
I ordered a gas tank from Bob Drake, which required that I buy their sender unit also. The shop that installed the tank said the sending unit was pretty stiff and they tried to make it move as freely as possible, but the unit doesn't show accurate reading until the tank is about half empty. (I guess knowing it's low is more important than knowing if it's full, but it's still not right that it doesn't work correctly.)

So I called Bob Drake and told them the issue and that I believe it may have been a faulty unit... the rep basically said "how do I know you're not the one who messed it up when installing it?" and told me I'd have to buy a new one... guy was pretty rude and accusatory too.

1. Has anyone else had problems with the Bob Drake sending uint?

2. Has anyone experienced similar customer service from Bob Drake?
1a) EVERYONE has had an issue with those units.
2a) Customer service at Drakes is a perfect oxymoron.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
19Fordy

Jason: This has been discussed at length. The BOB DRAKE unit https://bobdrake.com/products/1936-5...5a40d8e3&_ss=r operates on the Ohms principle, which is NOT the same as the original OEM King-Sealy unit Ford used. Drakes unit will never work with the full range of accuracy desired because it does not operate on the same principle of " metallic points heat resistance" as the KS unit.

Could you post a photo of your original unit? If it is a good working unit you can adapt it to your new tank instead of the DRAKE "pretender".

Here's a search that may help.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=20999882
and look through these posts.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-22-2021 at 12:44 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
Joe Immler

Question 1: YES
Question 2: YES
However, no more problems as I will never buy from them.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
DavidG

Wait a minute. Before throwing rocks at Bob Drake, once your "shop" altered the sending unit, all bets were off. Any warranty anywhere does not cover parts that have been altered by the customer or his agent. The mistake was to alter the sending unit rather than sending it back for a replacement or refund.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
petehoovie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Wait a minute. Before throwing rocks at Bob Drake, once your "shop" altered the sending unit, all bets were off. Any warranty anywhere does not cover parts that have been altered by the customer or his agent. The mistake was to alter the sending unit rather than sending it back for a replacement or refund.

Exactly, David....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

While true, it is not going to change the answers to his questions:
Yes & Yes.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

what "back order Bob" did not have the correct answer??? which is "No one ever had that problem before" or is that Carpenter?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
what "back order Bob" did not have the correct answer??? which is "No one ever had that problem before" or is that Carpenter?
No, you got it the first time. Recall the water pump debacle where the castings wouldn't line up to the block (bolt holes)? Funny but there were literally over two dozens guys that posted on the "old" Barn that Drake told each and every one of them "No one ever had that issue before...".

And while I agree with Dave that once the part was "played with" all bets are off. Still, Drake knows or darn well ought to know, the sending units are crap. So, the response was total BS.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

I'm not sure what sending unit I have in the '36 PU but that little devil is spot-on, very accurate. That and a good original working gauge. The Sending Unit
is an older unit at least close to 20 years old. I had it out a few years ago and it looked like new.

Sorry that doesn't answer your inquiry......

I get Mustang parts thru CJ Pony Parts for the Mach 1 that are made by Scott Drake, and they are excellent quality, anything I ever ordered was perfect. I don't know if they are affiliated with Bob Drake, but their reps are always first class, polite and helpful. It's getting to where you can't tell Scott Drake Mustang parts from NOS Ford they are that good. Good folks.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #11
Vics Stuff

Jason78613 As a car guy I would find myself in your same shoes. I would have tried to manipulate the sending unit to try in loostening it up to save from sending the part back. Like you I have had to take it in the shorts . I am sorry for your situation. That would be me.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #12
jason78613

On top of that, I'm now noticing there is a slow leak/drip at the drain plug on the bottom of the tank that makes my whole garage smell like gasoline. I checked the bolt with a wrench and it's super tight, and looks like it's leaking from the rivets around the drain plug... ugh.

I'm sure they would tell me that's never happened to any other customers before!
jason78613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:08 PM   #13
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Jason: This has been discussed at length. The BOB DRAKE unit https://bobdrake.com/products/1936-5...5a40d8e3&_ss=r operates on the Ohms principle, which is NOT the same as the original OEM King-Sealy unit Ford used. Drakes unit will never work with the full range of accuracy desired because it does not operate on the same principle of " metallic points heat resistance" as the KS unit.

Could you post a photo of your original unit? If it is a good working unit you can adapt it to your new tank instead of the DRAKE "pretender".

Here's a search that may help.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=20999882
and look through these posts.
I wouldn't say never. I installed an aftermarket sender(yogi's rod parts) in my '41 ford with stock gauge and it worked great. E was empty and F was full
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:33 PM   #14
19Fordy

fordor41:
Please post a link to that sending unit.
I am truly amazed IF it is accurate thru it's full range of motion.

Yes, NEVER is a bit strong and long.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 PM   #15
fordor41

www.yogisinc.com. I know 18 gal would register F and was on E with about 2 gal left or so. never measured between F & E. actually didn't care. also a side note my '41 was changed to 12V. used a Ron Francis VR-1 voltage reducer on the gauges. use a 73-10 ohm sender
Old 02-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #16
skidmarks

I found the best solution to Bod Drake and his gas tanks was to just buy tanks from Tank Inc. The only problem i have had with Tanks Inc was done by the shipping company and it was minimal.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:21 PM   #17
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
I found the best solution to Bod Drake and his gas tanks was to just buy tanks from Tank Inc. The only problem i have had with Tanks Inc was done by the shipping company and it was minimal.
I had a "Tanks" fuel tank in my '41. they forgot to put the threaded inserts in the front flange to mount it. also they placed the sender in the top off center of the original door in the floor of the trunk, for some dumb reason
Old 02-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #18
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
I had a "Tanks" fuel tank in my '41. they forgot to put the threaded inserts in the front flange to mount it. also they placed the sender in the top off center of the original door in the floor of the trunk, for some dumb reason
Never used a 41 tank, so cant tell you anything about them. Only used the 40 ford tank.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote