Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Matt in Alameda

Default 1939 pedals into a 1935 Coupe

I have a 1935 Ford,.. the previous owner put in hydraulic brakes using a 1939 pedal assembly. He severely damaged the x-member with a torch....I have found a replacement piece for it. He installed the pedals wrong, in that the clutch pedal goes way down into the cross member( hence some of the cutting) and the part that actuates the clutch lever rubs very hard against the anti chatter rod. Can someone help me with instructions or a source to get instructions on how to properly install these pedals? The pedals are definitely from a 1939 Ford...they have the 91 Axxxx number on them,..and all the brakes look excellent....I need help on the pedals....thank -you,...Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: 1939 pedals into a 1935 Coupe

What year replacement piece did you get? As I re-call, if you are installing a '39 pedal assy in a pre-39 vehicle, a couple of the holes line up and you have to drill those that don't and do some opening up of the hole where the cross shaft goes through. But, if the replacement piece you got is '39 or '40 then it should be drilled with the proper holes. Hopefully you have enough of the exhaust frame hole left on both pieces to measure and piece in using that as a reference point. Hope that helps.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Richard (EV8G)

I am going to send Matt a template that he can fit up to his frame and fix it so the 39 pedals are in the proper location. Some say that one or two of the original 35 bolt holes line up, but my experience is that NONE of them align so as to locate the pedals properly. If they are mounted too far forward, they also will be too far to the left, and if too far rearward, they also will be too far to the right. In either case, this will lead to misalignment of the clutch pedal
vs. the frame and misalignment of the clutch lever on the pedal RH end vs. the
lever on the transmission; which lever is different than a 39 anyway... so may
have to make an offset link for the clutch. I suspect that his pedals were too
far to the rear and therefore too far to the right (in an attempt to align the clutch linkage?) since the frame has been cut out for the clutch pedal downward travel clearance AND there is also interference with the chatter (engine radius) rod.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
36tbird

I'm glad that Richard jumped in here. I did not want to volunteer him in absentia. He graciously sent me a template long ago when I ordered some bushings from him.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
bonesy

I'm looking at the exact same conversion. I would gladly pay for a template.
bonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesy View Post
I'm looking at the exact same conversion. I would gladly pay for a template.
E-mail your mailing address and I will send you one also. It is also possible to convert while retaining the original pedals, and thereby
avoid having to modify the frame, or anything else, while making the entire conversion.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Gary Tosel

I installed the 39 brake and clutch pedal assembly in my 36 Ford 5W Coupe and I only had to drill the bottom two holes into the frame. This meant that the centerline of the shaft may be about 1/2 inch lower, so I cut out the small amount of frame to get the 39 assembly to align okay. This probably means my pedals are not exactly the same height between 36 and 39 , but work fine. Alignment through the floor is fine and no clutch interference with the frame when clutch is depressed.

On the 39 Ford assembly the actuator rod from the clutch pedal to the transmission is bent offset to align these two items. Since I did not have the proper 39 Ford connection shaft, I welded another piece next to the existing pedal connections to allow me to have a straight alignment. I then used the 36 Ford straight connecting shaft with adjustable clevis. Worked for me!

Thanks.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Alameda View Post
I have a 1935 Ford,.. the previous owner put in hydraulic brakes using a 1939 pedal assembly. He severely damaged the x-member with a torch....I have found a replacement piece for it. He installed the pedals wrong, in that the clutch pedal goes way down into the cross member( hence some of the cutting) and the part that actuates the clutch lever rubs very hard against the anti chatter rod. Can someone help me with instructions or a source to get instructions on how to properly install these pedals? The pedals are definitely from a 1939 Ford...they have the 91 Axxxx number on them,..and all the brakes look excellent....I need help on the pedals....thank -you,...Matt in Alameda
Make sure that you have a 39 FORD assembly, not a 39 Mercury. The bracket has the same number, but the pedals are different.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
Make sure that you have a 39 FORD assembly, not a 39 Mercury. The bracket has the same number, but the pedals are different.
Good point... the Merc pedals have a 99A-number on at least one of the pedal arms and probably both. I have a set that I bought off Ebay many years ago...
Old 07-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
m.ralph

1939 Ford has 91A2455 on one of the pedals, housing 91A-2457
m.ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
George/Maine

The 39 pedal is a one year pedal and has very little movement. Trying to get more movement drive it into frame. The fix is get a 39 lever and its about 3" long and on angle.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote