Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Orignal36

Default Fix it or leave it

I just picked up a 1936 model 68 Fordor sedan. Interior is all there, but rough. Has rot at the front of both rear fenders where they meet running boards and the drivers floor pan/trans cover. This car was in the original owners family its whole life. Runs and drives ok. Engine was replaced with a 51 Merc. Engine replacement makes it not 100% original. Am I ok to fix the rot and replace the interior or should this be left as is? If you agree its ok to fix, who makes a good interior kit?

I will post pictures when I can get to the car. Being stored due to space at my house. I am new to this so will be asking for any help and ideas you can assist me with!
Thanks!
Orignal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Fix it or leave it

This is a tough question to answer in my opinion as there may be variables involved that I can't understand or haven't been disclosed.
If there is NO emotional attachment to this particular vehicle, I'd say "leave it as it is". That's looking at this from a strictly economic view point.
1936 Fordor sedans do not have much value. As such, you will rapidly exceed the value if you begin repairing rust and swapping interiors.
As you are new to "this", I'd suggest you get your feet wet with this one. Have some fun, keep your investment as low as possible while staying safe on the road and learn some of the proverbial "ins and outs" of owning one of these prewar Fords.
Then, if you like the hobby, sell this one and move on to one that is further along / nicer. In the long run, that's going to be the more economical path.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
V8ER

Welcome!

Please post your location. Someone close to you may be able to help you learn about your car.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
19Fordy

Kube sure offered some excellent advice. Take it slow and don't let it become a "money pit".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Welcome Orignal36!

If I was the owner I'd begin with is the frame safe.

Then I'd look at tires, brakes and steering.

Then I'd move to how it runs over the road? Cooling? Tracking?

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
Blastfromthepast

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you can do the repairs yourself I would fix the fenders with replacement patches from a company called EMS and find a replacement trans cover here on the forum. As far as the interior goes that’s something to think about. Interiors are pricey and some companies are no longer in business which mean kits are scarce. You would probably have to bring it to your local interior shop. I would cover The seats with some sort of temporary covering and drive the car like that.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:38 AM   #7
FortyNiner

How do you want to use this car?
Old 04-24-2021, 05:57 AM   #8
Orignal36

Thank you all for your guidance. I want to be able to drive this car to cruise nights and leisurely drives in the fall to watch the leafs change (happy wife, happy life). Depending on how reliable I find it, maybe drive it up into New Hampshire so the original owners family can see her once again. I have all service records for this car going back into the 40's! She has about 80% of her original Washington Blue paint. The other 20% has faded into history! I know if the engine was not changed she would be considered a survivor and I should not change anything, but this is not the case.

The frame and tires are excellent, brakes are so so, as is the steering. Problem with the steering goes back to when they changed the engine. They left the Merc oil pan on which causes the steering to make contact with the oil pan. I have sourced the correct oil pan but need to find the pick up tube. This is my first dealings with mechanical brakes so I have some learning to do! She goes down the road straight, runs at 150 degrees.

Please do not get me wrong, I do have some mechanical experience. I have been an FAA certified airframe and powerplant mechanic for over 30 years. My welding is mediocre but if I take my time I can bring that up to speed. I do want to patch the fenders and floor to keep things from getting worse. As for the interior, I have no experience here but figured with a kit I would be able to follow directions.

Thanks again for the guidance, have anything else for me?
Old 04-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #9
marko39

i would check to see if you have thermostats installed and they are working correctly.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #10
corvette8n

Drive it, enjoy it, fix the little things during the winter.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Good info Orignal36 on your intentions. (BTW there's a bit of an aviation undercurrent here too.)

When you start thinking about brakes, have a read through this thread... It's sorta long, but there is almost everything you need to think about with mechanical brakes in there somewhere. You can find parts vendors that have real original Ford essentials here on the 'Barn too. It won't take you long to find out which ones have earned stellar reputations.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289449

Marko caught a good thing you said. Running down the road at 150 degrees is considered a bit cool.

Re-reading, I saw cruise nights. Your wiring is likely sketchy. If it was never replaced it's copper with a cloth sheath and the sheath deteriorates creating shorts and voltage drops. Luckily they are a piece of cake to rewire (new wires are copper, rubber, cloth) and looms, clips, etc are available. Michael Driskell is one of the vendors who will listen to your proposed project and suggest required bits you didn't anticipate needing. Michael's telephone is on the website: https://thirdgenauto.com As I said other very fine vendors have what you'll need too.

This thread needs a photo. Eventually you may want to post some, here's some hints.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1863427

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chantilly 2017 20170610_120941.jpg (206.0 KB, 469 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 04-25-2021 at 09:16 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #12
Tinker

If you just bought it. Drive it for a season or two, fix mechanics if needed.

If you are quick and have time to get to projects quickly, that might be a different thing. But it can be a bummer to have a car out of service on a nice day.

Get some osho or another rust convertor and treat the rust. It'll slow it down. I have a couple small spots (quarter/half dollar) with exposed sheet metal (not rust through) that I treated with osho. It still hasn't rusted after 3 yrs.

Best of luck!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #13
Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
This is a tough question to answer in my opinion as there may be variables involved that I can't understand or haven't been disclosed.
If there is NO emotional attachment to this particular vehicle, I'd say "leave it as it is". That's looking at this from a strictly economic view point.
1936 Fordor sedans do not have much value. As such, you will rapidly exceed the value if you begin repairing rust and swapping interiors.
As you are new to "this", I'd suggest you get your feet wet with this one. Have some fun, keep your investment as low as possible while staying safe on the road and learn some of the proverbial "ins and outs" of owning one of these prewar Fords.
Then, if you like the hobby, sell this one and move on to one that is further along / nicer. In the long run, that's going to be the more economical path.

This is sound advice. ^^^

Too many times I have seen a driving car taking apart for upgrades/etc. and quickly the costs spiral out of control and it turns into a long term project car that unfortunately never gets back on the road.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #14
Tinker

Hey the fordor and the sedan isn't quite the "eye" sore of yester-year. Restoring or driving one would be refreshing, i'd stop at a show and look at it. Besides someone needs to have and restore them, otherwise all the period new movies will be filled with coupes with radials.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
This is sound advice. ^^^

Too many times I have seen a driving car taking apart for upgrades/etc. and quickly the costs spiral out of control and it turns into a long term project car that unfortunately never gets back on the road.
This sage advice reminds me of the ferro-cement sailboat guys in the sixties/early seventies. 50' hull framed with rebar, stretch on the chicken wire. Gunnite swimming pool guys spray on the goop, bust out the trowel. 50' sailboat for 8 grand. Now comes the sails, spars, rigging, interior, diesel auxillary, bronze hardware. None of which are cheap. OK, I'm getting off topic. Like all the smart guys here say, get it SAFE, enjoy it and work as you go. They don't have to be expensive to have some really good. clean fun. And where are those pictures?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:16 PM   #16
cas3

The death of many old cars has been the guy that was gonna restore it. Took it apart, killed it, sometimes push it out in the yard for a couple decades all the while its not for sale...until its junk. Some of the best cars today are the ones that made it thru that untouched to live again
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:33 AM   #17
Alex Mcknz

Have it fix, I believe that there's always a solution to every problem. At the end of the day, it will be worth it, especially when you're driving it. That is when all your hard work paid off.
Alex Mcknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #18
Frank Miller

How is the roof on it? How bad is the interior? VT posted a brake thread and my first task would be to get those working as new. Second is the oil pan to fix the steering issue. Check the rest of the chassis including the shocks and spring shackle bushings.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #19
Orignal36

Thanks again to all that provided guidance. Here she is! Probably not worthy to be shown in the company of cars like VeryTangled posted, but shes mine!! Right now I have some family medical issues so she will have to sit and wait another month or two before I can start tinkering with her. Believe me, all your suggestions will be looked at and followed when I can. Was not sure how to post picture so I just pasted one.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #20
BigGameJames

Hello all,

New member here.

Looking forward to learning a lot from you all.
BigGameJames is offline   Reply With Quote