Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Radiator cleaning........follow up

My 1928 Phaeton has the original radiator, fan and fan shroud and when I used my infrared gun to shoot the temp, it showed 210-215* on the top tank with air temp in the upper 80's. I run 50% antifreeze and a 160* thermostat.

About a month ago I bought a gallon of heavy duty floor degreaser from H/F and used it for cleaning my radiator. The radiator seemed to have a slimey coating of grease in the top tank. Stick your finger in the top tank and rub the neck and sides and it came out with slime on it. I forgot to drain the antifreeze and added about a quart of the cleaner. The cleaner looks just like pouring in green antifreeze.

I ran this mix for a week, then drained the system and removed the thermostat. I replaced the coolant with water and another quart of the cleaner. I ran this mix for another week, then drained it. It didn't foam up like I thought it would. I then replaced it with water and a box of washing soda, which I only ran for two days. When I drained this I could see that it was rusty looking. I then replaced this with water and a can of radiator flush, which looked identical to the heavy duty floor cleaner, which looked like green antifreeze.

After a week I drained this and flushed the system with clean water. I then reinstalled my thermostat and used 60% antifreeze. Yesterday the temp was in the 60's and the top tank showed 170* after a long drive, so the cleaning has lowered my coolant temp a fair amount.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 09-23-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Ray64

Default Re: Radiator cleaning........follow up

Sounds like a workable plan to me. Im off to H.F.today.Thanks Tom.
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote