Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
james hitchcock

Talking Walter lives !!!

My ol Walter (previously a 31 p.u ) soon to be a Huckster runs !!!
Walters previous owner began dis-assembly about 25 yrs ago. When I got him home he had been settin under a tarp all this time minus his starter, distributor, generator, carb, fan. I hadn't had a Model A since I was about 25 (I'm 49 now). With the little knowledge I did still retain I gave his innards a once over. Replaced all gaskets. Starter checked out, new plugs. Generator back on, as well as fan and water pump. Rechecked timing. I thought I'd maybe give Walter a quick try. Took my battery from my old p.u and just set it on the frame. I attached jumper cables (pos ground) I fashioned a quick gas tank from a plastic jug (I haven't completely cleaned out Walters tank). I set my spark, choked him a little bit and bumped the starter. Boy was I shocked when after the second bump he took off !!! I hadn't even hooked the muffler back on (I really didn't expect it to be that easy). I jumped , it sounded like a small airplane startin up beside me. I shut him off and hooked the muffler back up and gave him another try. Boy what a sweet sound. I've still got to get carb adjusted a bit but I did enjoy just standing there staring and listening. What a great feeling to see something that has been setting for so long take off like it did. Once again all I can say is Wow !! P.S. You Barn guys all had a helping hand in on this.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Dave in Boise

Default Re: Walter lives !!!

Yay!

Glad to hear another one coming back to life

Happy motoring - Dave in Boise
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
James Rogers

Be careful! I dis-assemble lots of motors that have sit for long times and find they won't run in service for very long. What I find in almost all is the oil that is left in the engine when it is taken out of use, turns to gel first and then to a solid which blocks the tubes that supply oil to the mains. I even occasionally find some that have the rod dippers clogged in the same way. This occurrence is not specific to used engines but to engines that are new rebuilds that were saved for when they are needed.It makes me feel bad that I sometimes dismantle engines that have never been run since rebuilding when I know there are many that could use a good motor but, these are beyond use because of lack of care. I don't have any cure except to dis-assemble the engine to the removal of the crank and swab the tubes with a 32 caliber gun cleaning kit.

Just an observance.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
john charlton

You are dead right there !!! . Over the years ( got my MAFCA 25 yr. pin ,made in China) the many "unkown" engines I have checked for internal cleanliness all I would never have run. Pop that dipper tray out and all the nasties revealed nestling around the oil pump pickup .Also the small bore 14.9 HP engine developed 28 BHP at 2600 RPM . These engines are famous for eating the fibre timing wheel ,it must be the higher engine speed which does it. The timing wheel frets and the debris collects on the oil pump filter screen so it looks like it is covered by brown felt. No oil gets past this and all the bearing get shot. The valve chest also needs a good clean also or blocked main bearing oil supply tubes etc. etc. Just a thought folks before you jump start the late uncle Jacks car which has been in the barn for years and years.My sons recent purchase a 29 closed cab pickup last tagged in MO 1961 had the most congealed gloop ,the filter screen was 80% blocked.

John in lovely warm sunny evening England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

James, glad to hear you have Ol Walter running. But I think the advise given above is some good advise. After having my 29 sitting for 30 years or so, when I took the pan off prior to having it rebuilt, it was full of mice nests. So if you have not taken some of these parts off, it may be a good idea.

How is the old huckster building gonig? Haven't heard how you are doing lately.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
james hitchcock

Not to worry guys. The pan was pulled everything was de gunked. Actually Walter looked like brand new inside. The very bottom on the pan had some gunk that had settled and that was completely cleaned out. And to Fred, the Huckster body hasn't started other than getting plans. I'm slowly getting to the point of where I can begin building. I'll let everyone know when that gets started.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote