Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
huddy

Default Bent tie rod - front spring question

Because I have arthritic shoulder joints, I decided to try making the steering easier by adding a shorter Pitman arm. I also read about the steering upgrade kit with the teflon bushings and new springs so I also "sprung" for that, too. When I finally got around to working on the front end, I noticed a couple of disturbing facts when I inspected the steering mechanisms:

First, the tie rod was bent in the middle. Second, the tie rod was hitting against the front engine mount center bolt. I *think* (but don't know for sure) that it was hitting the engine mount bolt because it was bent upwards, and a straight tie rod should be OK.The remaining steering hardware (steering balls, backing plates, etc) checked out OK with no looseness or play. (And actually the bent tie rod didn't show any symptoms; I just had never noticed it before).

Anyway, I ended up ordering a new tie rod from Snyder's, since I had to order new cups and rubber seals for the steering balls anyway. So I'll see if the straight tie rod solves the engine mount bolt interference problem.

If it doesn't, I wondering if I should consider a new front spring. I haven't had the old off to measure, but it looks original and it's probably gone soft and out of shape.

My question is: what's the easiest way to diagnose a bad front spring? Am I probably missing something important here, is the bent tie rod indicative of a bigger problem?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Bent tie rod - front spring question

one indication of a weak front spring the drag link will rub the tie rod but will not cause them to bend
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Les Andrews book talks about measuring com the font bumper to the ground. Mine was an original and I just had it redone. It brought font end up about 2". Now the car is level and steers much better.

Mike
Old 06-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
huddy

Thanks, guys. I will check the distances when I get it back together & the tires on.

I'm glad I like wrenching; otherwise, I might find this "fix one thing, find four other things that need fixing" routine kind of frustrating. When I used to do airplane inspections, I'd always joke "it's OK unless you inspect it" but that sure seemed to be true a lot of the time.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Worn kingpin bearings can let the spindle rub on the axle, and this will make for hard steering. Tie rods are hollow and easy to bend straight again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
huddy

Thanks, Tom. I'm going to check it all out when I get it back together and see how it looks. I suspect I'll be getting a new front spring. I did a quick check on the kingpins and they looked ok.

QUESTION: I see Snyder's carries two kinds, one for show cars and one standard. I don't have a fine points car, is there any reason to spend the extra money on the show car spring?
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddy View Post
First, the tie rod was bent in the middle. Second, the tie rod was hitting against the front engine mount center bolt. I *think* (but don't know for sure) that it was hitting the engine mount bolt because it was bent upwards, and a straight tie rod should be OK.The remaining steering hardware (steering balls, backing plates, etc) checked out OK with no looseness or play. (And actually the bent tie rod didn't show any symptoms; I just had never noticed it before).
When I first bought my car it had a lot of toe out, turned out to be a bent tie rod. We suspect it was bent from a strap being wrapped around the tie rod and the cross member and/or axle in order to load the car onto a flatbed truck at some time in the past. Bought a new tie rod and all is good.

I mention this to maybe prevent someone from experiencing the same problem.

I straightened the old one and now have a spare "just in case..."

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 06-07-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Add Text.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
huddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
When I first bought my car it had a lot of toe out, turned out to be a bent tie rod. We suspect it was bent from a strap being wrapped around the tie rod and the cross member and/or axle in order to load the car onto a flatbed truck at some time in the past. Bought a new tie rod and all is good.

I mention this to maybe prevent someone from experiencing the same problem.

I straightened the old one and now have a spare "just in case..."

This may be a similar thing - it looks like it was jacked from there at one time in the past, or maybe the jack slipped. I'm going to do the same thing & straighten the original for a spare.