Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...

Has anyone ever converted a Multi-Disc Clutch system to a Single Disc Clutch system on a 1928 Model A/AA Ford YET maintain that 1928 look on the outside of the chassis???

If so, just what is the procedure to do so?

Could it be wrote up to include in this fourm???

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
jrelliott

Default Re: Converting MD Clutch to a SD Clutch system...

The 9-11-1928 A I have has a single disk clutch. Was that way when I got it. I think you may need a later bell housing, clutch assembly, possibly the fly wheel. The transmission seems to the correct one as the emergency brake is by the shifter. Look at page 296 in Model A Service Bulletins.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
brito36

To convert the multi disc system to the single disc you will need everything including the flywheel, flywheel housing, bell housing and the transmission. You will also need the later style clutch and brake pedals as the pedal shaft coming out of the multi disc bell housing is smaller. You will also need the later style starter and switch as the multi clutch used a different bendix drive. Its not that difficult, you just need all the later style parts. Several years ago, a friend made this change on his pick up.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Mike Peters

To convert the multi disc system to the single disc you will need everything including the flywheel, flywheel housing, bell housing and the transmission. You will also need the later style clutch and brake pedals as the pedal shaft coming out of the multi disc bell housing is smaller. You will also need the later style starter and switch as the multi clutch used a different bendix drive. Its not that difficult, you just need all the later style parts. Several years ago, a friend made this change on his pick up.

Ditto here. Did it many years ago on our Oct. 28 Tudor. I had heard that the multi disc clutch had a tendency to fail because of clutch facing particles plugging the flywheel grooves which prevented the clutch discs from moving, eventually going down to only one disc which would release/engage until it wore out.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
Roadster62

The teeth on the disks would wear the teeth on the flywheel hub that lead to failures. However the A multi disk setup was used on most dirt track race cars up into the 1940's Bob
Old 11-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
The teeth on the disks would wear the teeth on the flywheel hub that lead to failures. However the A multi disk setup was used on most dirt track race cars up into the 1940's Bob
Hey Bob,
I believe you are correct, in that, the multi disk setup was used by racers. However, the setup that was used , I believe, was highly modified. Race cars using these modified multi disks, were push started. A friend who used this modified version told me a lot of machining was involved. He also said that modified version was simple and durable.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Guys,

I understand where you are coming from...HOWEVER I want to keep the outside appearence of a multidisc clutch system yet apply the later single disc clutch system within.

"Has anyone ever converted a Multi-Disc Clutch system to a Single Disc Clutch system on a 1928 Model A/AA Ford YET maintain that 1928 look on the outside of the chassis???"

Pluck
Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Bob C

So you want to keep the Multi-disc bell housing but with the single disc clutch and flywheel.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Miles in MN

A gentleman in California with a fine-point blue 1928 pickup truck used the early bellhousing, release shaft, and pedals together with a single disk flywheel that he modified for a nine-inch V8 clutch and pressure plate. The V8 clutch apparently fits within the early bellhousing without any modifications to it. I believe he did an article on the conversion for one of the National magazines.
Miles in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
So you want to keep the Multi-disc bell housing but with the single disc clutch and flywheel.
There is a BIG difference in the Transmission cases, Front and Rear.
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
There is a BIG difference in the Transmission cases, Front and Rear.
The early case can be modified to work. It needs holes drilled and tapped to accept the front bearing/ throwout bearing part. You will need a later input shaft.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles in MN View Post
A gentleman in California with a fine-point blue 1928 pickup truck used the early bellhousing, release shaft, and pedals together with a single disk flywheel that he modified for a nine-inch V8 clutch and pressure plate. The V8 clutch apparently fits within the early bellhousing without any modifications to it. I believe he did an article on the conversion for one of the National magazines.
That would be Ron Rude and no, he did not do an article on the conversion...I tried to get him to do so but he did not...as far as I know.

He also used the same tramsmission which is adaptable to the early bell housing.

Pluck