Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default Model T in Roundabout

Haven't gone there yet. 23 T Roadster. There are a couple of roundabouts on the way to town. Can you slow down enough in high gear to navigate the roundabout (15 mph), or should you downshift to low? Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Model T in Roundabout

Guess a lot would depend on your engine, but I would stay in high maybe retard the spark then advance it when you came out. Just go try. Not sure why you would worry about going thru a roundabout your just slowing down some. Even back when I was learning to drive a T, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Guess a lot would depend on your engine, but I would stay in high maybe retard the spark then advance it when you came out. Just go try. Not sure why you would worry about going thru a roundabout your just slowing down some. Even back when I was learning to drive a T, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.
Thanks..I just wasn't sure how slow you could go in high gear without stalling out, but maybe the T won't stall. I will give it a try.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
redmodelt

Sure it can stall, but low is just used to get the car rolling. At 15 MPH you would have the RPMs up pretty high in low. Besides you shouldn't shift in to low at at speed anyway, the shift into low would be about the same as low to high range.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
A bones

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My practice always, was to take off with a stomp on the slow pedal, at the same moment I open the gas valve full. As soon as I hit say 10 MPH I knock off the gas and release the slow pedal. From there on I am in high gear, using the valve to regulate speed.

If mixing with traffic is your issue, claim your SENIORITY, be sure to have a good working horn, and USE it. Use it for attention, use it like toy. Wake them up to your presence. They often need a double take to penetrate their airconditioned,, music and media,, device laden,, experience!

If pulling in high at a low. slow speed ( Level Ground as a Roundabout ) is difficult, get with an experienced tuner to find the answer. The power should be there.