Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
Oldgearz

Default Re: Engine wont start.

Don't mean to start an argument about whether condensers need to be grounded, but I've found in my old 6 volt tractors that have a condenser screwed to the top plate, sometimes a patina will develop on the top plate that prevents the condenser from grounding. Typical symptoms of this are hard starting, misfires and especially backfires. Sand the plate where the condenser mounts and presto it's fixed.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #22
jerrytocci

Take your wifes emery board and drag it between the points.
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:41 PM   #23
dnkcurtis

The first thing I do is take the ignition wire plug out of the side of the distributor, turn the key on and touch the plunger tip on a head bolt. There should make a spark, if not go toward the ignition switch then battery then cables.
If there is spark, put it back in, key on, place a screw driver on the points and touch the lower plate, should spark, if not the problem is the lower plate or wire. Some times the contact blade on the lower plate touch’s the inner casting and grounds out. Check the two coil wires for tightness.
A quick way to check for power to the distributor.
Good luck
dnkcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:17 AM   #24
ModelAMike1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytocci View Post
Take your wifes emery board and drag it between the points.
Don't have a wife but I did buy some to file down some sharp spots on my new false teeth-----lol
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #25
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgearz View Post
Don't mean to start an argument about whether condensers need to be grounded, but I've found in my old 6 volt tractors that have a condenser screwed to the top plate, sometimes a patina will develop on the top plate that prevents the condenser from grounding. Typical symptoms of this are hard starting, misfires and especially backfires. Sand the plate where the condenser mounts and presto it's fixed.

Why argue ? Condenser needs to be grounded.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #26
kawagumby

If you have isolated the problem to being electrical, the problem may be the distributor housing itself being poorly grounded.

Based on what I've seen on my '31, the distributor housing can be poorly grounded if the engine has been rebuilt at some time and the block and head milled. What this can do (if the distributor shaft hasn't been shortened) is elevate the distributor housing enough above the head, which along with oxidation, may cause poor grounding to the head. The distributor set screw on the engine side may also not be providing grounding, due to corrosion or being too loose. In my opinion, you cannot count on the distributor shaft to provide a good ground as it is two-piece and oiled. If you have no or intermittent spark you can check this by running a ground wire directly to the distributor from the firewall. On my car, that immediately improved the engine running... Also, to isolate the hot side, run a hot wire directly to the distributor to bypass the ignition key while disconnecting the ignition wire (in case of that being shorted), that way you will be assured of a full circuit. When I got my car a couple of months ago, both distributor ground AND supply were faulty...I had to fix the distributor grounding problem and replace an intermittently faulty ignition switch.

I fixed the elevated distributor problem with a valve spring shim rather than shortening the shaft (just easier).

Last edited by kawagumby; 12-18-2020 at 10:50 AM.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote