Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
alexiskai

Default Greasing the fan/water pump interface

As described in this thread, water pumps sometimes need to be filed or ground on their snout to fit the I.D. of the 2-blade fan. I've done this on mine, but with the clearance in some spots less than .015, I'm concerned that, due to vibration or deflection under load, the fan may contact the pump housing during operation.

I would like to coat that portion of the housing in some sort of grease that would protect the metal from abrasion and rust. What would folks recommend as a suitable grease that won't migrate away from where I put it? At my bench right now I have the pink Mobil1 grease, plus the Sta-Lube brake drum grease you get with a Randy Gross rebuild, plus some dielectric grease. Any of those good?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Ruth

Default Re: Greasing the fan/water pump interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
As described in this thread, water pumps sometimes need to be filed or ground on their snout to fit the I.D. of the 2-blade fan. I've done this on mine, but with the clearance in some spots less than .015, I'm concerned that, due to vibration or deflection under load, the fan may contact the pump housing during operation.

I would like to coat that portion of the housing in some sort of grease that would protect the metal from abrasion and rust. What would folks recommend as a suitable grease that won't migrate away from where I put it? At my bench right now I have the pink Mobil1 grease, plus the Sta-Lube brake drum grease you get with a Randy Gross rebuild, plus some dielectric grease. Any of those good?
I am wondering how much dirt is going to stick to the grease. Is there anyway you can gain more clearance and forgo the grease?
Old 11-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I am wondering how much dirt is going to stick to the grease. Is there anyway you can gain more clearance and forgo the grease?
Sure, I can put it back on the grinder. I wonder how big a deal that is, though – the area to be covered is going to be protected by the fan.

So I guess option 2 is to grind it down farther and then just put some Ford green spray paint on it and call it a day.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

This is a technique used in the aerospace industry to bed parts with no gaps. Put a parting agent on the pump shaft. Oil or grease should work. Coat the inside of the taper in the fan with quick-setting JB Weld and install the fan on the shaft. Make sure the fan runs true befoe the JB Weld sets. Allow the JB Weld to fully cure.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
This is a technique used in the aerospace industry to bed parts with no gaps. Put a parting agent on the pump shaft. Oil or grease should work. Coat the inside of the taper in the fan with quick-setting JB Weld and install the fan on the shaft. Make sure the fan runs true befoe the JB Weld sets. Allow the JB Weld to fully cure.
Hmm, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. This is not about the fit between the tapered shaft and the fan, this is about the pulley component that sits just behind the fan blades. The pulley fits around the cast "snout" of the water pump. Often, due to different manufacturing materials and tolerances, the ID of the pulley rubs against the OD of the water pump snout, causing friction and wearing of the aluminum pulley material.

The solution is to grind/file away the OD of the cast water pump snout. My question is, can I grease this "bearing surface" to reduce wear and rust? Or will that attract dirt and end up failing in the purpose – in which case I should just grind it down far enough that the two surfaces will never touch.