Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Richard Lorenz

Default 1929 Four-Door basket case value

I have a friend with this basket case who developed a recent health problem that looks serious. He wants to sell the car. I have not seen it, but let's ASSUME that it is an AVERAGE case. Is anyone willing to place a value on this?
He can read the engine number on the frame, so it does not seem to be a rusts bucket. Thanks, Richard Lorenz
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: 1929 Four-Door basket case value

Impossible
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
DJ S

It's worth nothing, just give it to me!

But in all seriousness we need to see pictures. Fordors are a difficult body style to restore, due to all of the wood used in constructing it. With this considered, fordors will have a lower demand, thus lower value when it's a basket case.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
eagle

need more info. A true basket case fordor I would say $1000. That number could easily be off by several hundred percent depending on what you truly have, so not much good.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Without a few pictures it is just a wild a** guess! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Also determine what kind of Fordor it is. The term "Fordor" is thrown around loosely with Model A's, but especially in 1929 there were a couple different body styles that had four doors: the Fordor Sedan in 1929 could have a blind back with metal, a blind back with different leather-type coverings (both being Briggs bodies), three windows on each side (Murray or Briggs), or three windows with a cowl band and cowl lights (Town Sedan). I won't even mention the Town CAR as a possibility here, as that is too rare of a body style to be likely in the hands of your friend. Nor will the very special Taxi Cab be considered here. Too rare! I don't have the production figures in front of me, but I'd say it's a 50/50 split between the blind-back Briggs Fordors and the three side-window Fordor flavors in 1929, although the latter came out in about May or June of 1929, while the blind-backs had been produced since May of 1928.
The difference between these bodies in restoration costs can be significant, mostly concerning interiors and special equipment (cowl band, cowl lights)! The wood is different between the four side-window and three side-window bodies above the belt line, considerably more complicated in the four-window blind-back style. As a previous poster mentioned, the structural wood is absolutely critical in deciding whether to take on this project. A wood kit that still needs to be installed (good luck with THAT!) will be in the $3,000 neighborhood, plus well over $100 for shipping. If the wood in this car is not good, pass on it - if you want to keep the owner as a friend.
Pictures are an invaluable guide to helping determine value. Take lots of them and post them here so that at the very least, the guys can tell you which body style your friend has. That's starting point #1. The next point is condition, followed by completeness.
Anyway, photos, photos, photos, please!
Marshall
1929 Murray Town Sedan

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 11-02-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: corrected misspelled word
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
ronn

2000-2500. all day long if complete and with a title-worth more if in better shape

essentially what the chassis is worth
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
It's worth nothing, just give it to me!

But in all seriousness we need to see pictures. Fordors are a difficult body style to restore, due to all of the wood used in constructing it. With this considered, fordors will have a lower demand, thus lower value when it's a basket case.
I disagree.... although it use to be that 4-doors meant a lesser value overall and in Model A's... as the interested group and core is aging and has grandkids I find and values support it that the folks who use to pay a lot for roadsters and now want and need the closed car and extra doors the "Fordors" and " Town Sedans" particularly the '31 slant windows for a nice car command a premium. It is true the earlier wood bodies cars can have some structural and door closing issues. One of my forte's is door/hood alignment, so I am well familiar.

The downside to project is the wood, interior costs ( considerably more) and complexity of all of that.

Attend a national meet or Mafca or Marc national tour and you will be amazed how many you will see. Just my 2-cents worth.
FYI, there are two nice Fordors and slant window in my area for sale. PM me if interested.
Thx.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
burner31

$300 - $30K without pictures
Post some pics and the value can be guessed at a little better
But it's only worth what you are willing to pay, and are comfortable with.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

In my line of work, I often hear the words "Average", "Driver", and "Show Car" used by prospective clients. When I ask them for a definition of those words, I am usually met with silence and/or a puzzled face. As to not make them feel any more embarrassed I typically respond to them in a similar manner.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
DJ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
I disagree.... although it use to be that 4-doors meant a lesser value overall and in Model A's... as the interested group and core is aging and has grandkids I find and values support it that the folks who use to pay a lot for roadsters and now want and need the closed car and extra doors the "Fordors" and " Town Sedans" particularly the '31 slant windows for a nice car command a premium. It is true the earlier wood bodies cars can have some structural and door closing issues. One of my forte's is door/hood alignment, so I am well familiar.

The downside to project is the wood, interior costs ( considerably more) and complexity of all of that.

Attend a national meet or Mafca or Marc national tour and you will be amazed how many you will see. Just my 2-cents worth.
FYI, there are two nice Fordors and slant window in my area for sale. PM me if interested.
Thx.

Larry Shepard
I wasn't trying to knock the body style in anyway, i personally think the fordors are most attractice and practical of the Model A body styles. I'm well aware of the popularity of this body style. It is very ideal for taking the family out on long tours. The point I was trying to raise was this body style in going to fetch less money than a roadster, a coupe, and a tudor in this condition because the restoration process for a fordor is far more expensive and complex than the other body styles.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
Richard Lorenz

Thanks for your replies. I now realize what I need to look at, and that it is definitely necessary to look at it. Especially the wood. It might be some time before I can report the facts and pictures to you. "Bill" is from Texas, so I hope that his car "lived" there before he brought the pieces to Tennessee.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
jim1932

Seems the first thing to know is does it run. Price it based on a running chassis and go from there.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
Clem Clement

How nice is the basket?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #15
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
How nice is the basket?
Sometimes the basket is worth more than the contents
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Sometimes the basket is worth more than the contents
BUT, for sure, DON'T ever buy a BUCKET, with a HOLE in it
Bill W.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
Dennis Pereira

Here's one from the west coast . Asking $3500 true basket case all apart . http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5242074552.html
Old 11-03-2015, 12:19 AM   #18
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pereira View Post
Here's one from the west coast . Asking $3500 true basket case all apart . http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5242074552.html

From the pictures it looks like a really nice car to restore .Not a lot of rust out in the normal places. And seems to be a fare price as well .
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
They can ASK what ever they want.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:41 AM   #20
burner31

Quote:

Here's what I got for $3500 one year ago
Had it running and driving within two months
Location...location...location
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment (4).jpg (49.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment (5).jpg (49.1 KB, 126 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote