Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
hope

Unhappy Need to know

I'll try to explain as best as i can, My Problem (at 84 i'm not too swift).
Engine is a 59 block, 3"5/16, 4" crank, aluminum heads, dual Stromburg carbs, 12 volts system, has only 24 miles since
was rebuilt by a reputable person, a few years ago.

Found out recently i have a hairline CRACK in the #1 exhaust port about 1"1/2 inches, very slow leak at stand still, about a drop of anti- freeze every day or two, and it sure is not weld able especially on the car, and if it was weld able out of car i'm not taking it out of car, remember i'm 84.

I've went on the search section of the Barn and found some past recommendation of some sealer that might work and they are:

Bar's

Morso ceramic Sealand

Irontite

B.G cooling system sealer

What i "Need to know" is does anyone here think that any sealer will STRANGLE that air line crack.

I tried to post a picture, but with this new computer i can't do it.

Thanks a bunch for any replies.

Hope
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Need to know

Send your picture to my e-mail and I'll see if I can post it for you. My e-mail below! DD

[email protected]

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #3
Jack E/NJ

Probably not enough to worry about. I'd probably try to put more miles on it and run it before throwing anything but antifreeze and water into the radiator. Jack E/NJ.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Send your picture to my e-mail and I'll see if I can post it for you. My e-mail below! DD

[email protected]

This the picture that hope was wanting to display up in post #1. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
hope

The white wash showing is not from the leak, its from the break cleaner i used to wash the sooth off of the port.
The round shinning part in the middle is the mirror, not very good but that's the only way i could see the airline crack.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

You could try "ALUMASEAL" It's a powder.

Did you ever get your brake problem resolved??

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
hope

I would like to find out from someone that as used a sealer from personal experience that as worked.

No, i have not corrected my brake problem yet, one of my problems is i have to buy two new rear brake drums, and the financial situation right now is tight, so i plan on isolating the rear brake system for now and concentrate on the front brakes.

Ive been "fiddling" with some other minor issues, and i don't accomplish much at a time, right now my mindset is to keeping myself busy and out of trouble, and keeping out of trouble is Difficult, "I KNOW".

Hope
Old 03-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
GB SISSON

I used KW a couple years ago on a sleeve/stitch repair a shop had done for PO and it wasn't holding. Now it holds fine. I followed the long winded directions on the can to a T.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

The following is actual results on sealing cracked Ford flathead blocks. I have had perfect results using sodium silicate also know as water glass. The numerous sealers you listed above use sodium silicate as the sealer. Most of those sealer are mixed with water and a color additive. Read the directions on use for the above sealers all of them will say to be mixed with water. What i have learned using the sodium silicate directly not reduced or watered down a crack will seal quickly when its put into the radiator filled with water. A few of my Ford flathead race blocks have experienced cylinder cracks from the extreme nature of the racing i do using the sodium silicate i have extended the use of these blocks for many more runs and records. I also bring some with us to a race when i run the car just in case. You can buy a gallon of it on Ebay for less money than most of those sealers you listed. Take the time to read on line about sodium silicate and the many uses for it theres a number of examples for sealing leaks in engines and other systems holding water/coolant. Sodium silicate becomes a coating of glass when it flows into the crack once it reaches a temp of 140 degrees.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #10
hope

Hi Ronnie

Thanks for the reply. As i said before its not much of a crack,(hairline) and leaking very slow, (a drop every two days or so) at a stand still.

I noticed on your lower reply that your a Bonneville racer. have to tell you that i went to Bonneville twice, 2003 and 2006 as a spectator and loved it so much that i wish i could have gone every year since, but now at 84 years its out of the question.
In 2003 i drove by myself and took in the Grand Canyon on the way back, all i have now is good memories.

Take care
Hope
Old 03-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
GB SISSON

I stumbled upon speedweek at Bonneville on a cross country move back in 1978 when I was 25. I was blown away. Not been there since, as life and 4 kids got in the way. Thank God I got there once!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Hey Hope - I agree with Ronnie . . . the 'water glass' type of sealers are excellent and should work. I use Moroso Ceramic Seal . . . because I can easily order it from Jegs and they are 15 minutes from me.

Obviously you can go with Ronnie's approach and get the basic stuff cheaper other places. Make sure you read the instructions, do the correct removal of anti-freeze, flush with water first, etc...
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
I'll try to explain as best as i can, My Problem (at 84 i'm not too swift).
Engine is a 59 block, 3"5/16, 4" crank, aluminum heads, dual Stromburg carbs, 12 volts system, has only 24 miles since
was rebuilt by a reputable person, a few years ago.

Found out recently i have a hairline CRACK in the #1 exhaust port about 1"1/2 inches, very slow leak at stand still, about a drop of anti- freeze every day or two, and it sure is not weld able especially on the car, and if it was weld able out of car i'm not taking it out of car, remember i'm 84.

I've went on the search section of the Barn and found some past recommendation of some sealer that might work and they are:

Bar's

Morso ceramic Sealand

Irontite

B.G cooling system sealer

What i "Need to know" is does anyone here think that any sealer will STRANGLE that air line crack.

I tried to post a picture, but with this new computer i can't do it.

Thanks a bunch for any replies.

Hope
Hey Hope,
CERAMIC SEAL aka liquid glass is your friend in this matter.
Like Ronnie says....'follow instructions' of product.
That being a small crack is GOOD ! It should be good in no time.
My experience is that directions tell you to have the engine warm up FULLY, before pouring in the product.
At local auto store, I get it in a PINT bottle.
FOLLOW label instructions and you will be happy car guy !

Keep your hobby as it will help keep you young !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #14
hope

THANK YOU_ THANK YOU all.

All that information is Precious.
I'll get to that problem in a while, right now i'm going to concentrate on getting some brake trouble corrected.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Good Luck Mr. Hope . . . we ALL want to see you on the road as soon as possible and enjoying your car! If I was closer, I'd come over to give you a hand!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #16
hope

Bored&Stroked.

Thank You.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #17
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
Hi Ronnie

Thanks for the reply. As i said before its not much of a crack,(hairline) and leaking very slow, (a drop every two days or so) at a stand still.

I noticed on your lower reply that your a Bonneville racer. have to tell you that i went to Bonneville twice, 2003 and 2006 as a spectator and loved it so much that i wish i could have gone every year since, but now at 84 years its out of the question.
In 2003 i drove by myself and took in the Grand Canyon on the way back, all i have now is good memories.

Take care
Hope
Your welcome i enjoy helping when I can. I can tell you going to Bonneville is an addition my first trip as a spectator was in the 80's I never imagined I would one day actually run a car on the salt. That first pass I made in 2016 was emotional knowing the history of the place and what it truly means to Hot Rodding history and now i was part of it all. As a family team we have been very successful running our vintage engines my son is also a member of the 200 MPH club he helps build the car as well as all the engine work which we do all on our own including all the machine work. We have three fast records in the book a little team from CT.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 03-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #18
hope

What you have done is something i wish i could have done in my early years, but the main problem was $$$$ and some help.

Keep on trucking.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #19
hope

A picture of your car would be nice??
Old 03-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

Standing next to Ronnie's car and hearing it run is sensory overload. The amount of pressure and the sound of the exhaust coming out of the pipes is remarkable.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #21
Ronnieroadster

Heres a picture of the race car. Flathead Ford V-8 292 CI top speed in three miles on the salt 196.882. Overhead valve conversion {292 CI ARDUN} top speed three miles 225.872. In July we plan to test prior to speed week in Limestone Maine at the former Loring Air Base Flathead top speed up North 200.921 thats in a mile and a half
All runs are from a standing start driving the car off the line.
Ronnieroadster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonneville 2017 10.jpg (38.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #22
hope

AAAAHHH! the Salt Flats.

Beautiful picture of the car, and the salt flats.

Thank You.