Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
Ruth

Default Harmonic Balancer

Model A Harmonic Balancer discussion continued from earlier Thread. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...bration+damper

I felt I was high jacking this thread on Gear Backlash by continuing to ask questions on Engine Restorations LTD Harmonic Balancer so I started this new thread.

From previous thread;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I have never seen a Harmonic balancer pulley for a Model A. It sounds like an excellent idea. Are they only available in New Zealand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
The new Zealand made Damper is the same size as the original pulley but only a little bit deeper. The cost including shipping is very reasonable. "These dampers are made by Murray Horn in Levin N.Z. His Company is Engine Restorations Ltd. His email is [email protected]
Murray says this is the best way to contact him.
The dampers are a straight fit to replace the standard Model A pulley. An added benefit is a shallow reverse scroll in the rope seal area to help contain oil.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
Yes the replacement harmonic balancer pulley simply replaces the original pulley. However, due to its extra depth it sits quite close to the front spring U bolts, and it is necessary to install the fan belt before fitting the pulley as one can't feed a fan belt in once the pulley is installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
I carry a linked belt in both cars with the harmonic balancers. This makes it easy to replace a broken belt. These linked belts are good for tens of thousands of miles.
SAJ in NZ
After some thought and talking to Murray I decides to try one of his harmonic Balancers.

I received my harmonic balancer today. Nice piece. Weighs 5 - 5 1/2 lbs. Can I assume with the “reverse scroll” that a modern lip seal can not be used? I’m running a modern seal now.

I did pose this question to Murray but have not heard back yet. I was just wondering if anyone on the Barn had experience with this.

Thanks, Ruth
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote