Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
LRS30

Default 40 merc Tudor sedan! What have I done?

I just picked up a real nice 40 Merc Tudor, and I have some questions I hope I can get answered on here but the GURU's!
1. I am looking for dash trim pieces, I.E. radio block off plate, and speaker grill, Clock bezel. Are they the same as 40 ford? If not is there an aftermarket company that supplies?
2. We are interested in putting a drop axle on the front to get the stance right. My question is, do I have the original dropped, or should I purchase a new one, if so anybody have a recommendation on a good supplier? My thought about dropping the original was then my newish king pins and bushings are already a match. Also dropping it, is it as easy as new axle and dropped steering arms? Or am I opening an big can of worms?
3. Best way to lower rear? Remove a coupe leafs from the pack? Or have the main one reverse eyed? If so any recomendations on who to go to?
4. Looking for 40 ford/merc rims, anybody re-popping them or should I stick to the classifieds?
5. Tire size? I was thinking 5.50 Coker firestones black wall champions up front and 7.50's out back.

So with these simple 5 questions, I hope that those that have came before can shed some light on my questions? Thanks in Advance, I will do my best to post pics, but having a hard time in doing so with my old I-pad...
LRS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
LRS30

Default Re: 40 merc Tudor sedan! What have I done?

Some pics... Having a hard time uploading them.. So please,,, Bear with the learning curve.. Thanks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.5 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by LRS30; 10-16-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
LRS30

Flathead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.2 KB, 144 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
bart78

How low are you wanting it? All so post this over on the hamb. You can get some answers over there to.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
nospartsman
BANNED

1940 Mercury 2dr sedan is a very low production body style. Here is a ebay ad for replacement for 1940 Mercury dash plastic 331348649425

Last edited by nospartsman; 10-17-2014 at 08:00 AM.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
mike42

LRS......that is a sweet looking ride ! Very nice and hope you can post more pictures.
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
LRS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
How low are you wanting it? All so post this over on the hamb. You can get some answers over there to.
Not super low, just a nice stance and we don't wanna get into messing with the overall originality of it to much. That's why I was wondering if we can do an axle and steering arm and be fine?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
LRS30

I tried on the HAMB, but since the new format I am having a hell of a time figuring it out, not sure if I got it posted in the right area over there, or if people just don't like my face over there, haha I got 0 replies, maybe they just hate Murcury's over there? No sure, but I figured over here would have some people who would know the differences between the ford and the merc, and if I am a crazy man for thinking a lot of stuff would cross over...
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Newc

Just a note ; A reversed eye spring is easiest. The 37 up axles have a spring perch close to the king pin. I used a 35/36 wishbone and spring, it has narrower perch locations, thus more room for steering arms. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
LRS30

So say a posies everse eye might do the trick? I want to give it the right stance, nose down, ass up just a bit. I am wondering if a reverse eye and the right wheel tire combo might give it what I'm looking for. I have achieved this look in the past with just a rubber rake, but not sure I can get what I want on this big of a car by different tires.. I am gonna do some searching but if anybody has a link or pics of 37-40 ford/mercs with the right stance and know how they did it please post up pics. I am also looking for a supplier to provide the correct style wiring harness on this car.. All the wires are fubar and want to start fresh, Bob Drake best place to go or is there a better kept secret out there? Thanks guys and sorry for all the questions. I will have plenty to come!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Chris

My old 41 Ford had a dropped axle, reverse eyed spring front and rear and 1" longer shackles front and rear. Your Merc has nearly identical drive train

Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
TomO

Try Rhode Island wiring for a correct wiring harness. None of the 40 Ford dash parts will work on your Mercury.

Be careful about putting over sized tires in the back. The size that you wanted may rub on the inside of the body and fenders when you reverse the eyes. There is not as much room in the fender wells as the Ford.

It is just my opinion, but you have a very nice looking Mercury and if you go back to stock wheels and height, the car will look better and attract more attention at car shows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040091-for-web.jpg (73.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
40mercFlathead

I have a couple complete sets of dash plastic remaining. Made of machine grade acrylic plastic and UV resistant. Made by replicating original dash pieces and pre fitted to an original dash. The sets come as seen in pic and ready for paint. They are also pre tapped and threaded to mount on dash. $700 for a set plus shipping.
Shawn
661-714-1584 text or call
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic1.jpg (7.2 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg plastic2.jpg (6.1 KB, 384 views)
40mercFlathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
Russ/40

That is a rare car. I think every Merc sedan I have seen was a Fordoor.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
LRS30

I hear you on the bigger tire rubbing, the rear fenders are alot thinner. I have a factory rim with a 6.50 I will try first and see hoe it looks, I may get the look I'm after with just a simple wheel tire combo, (rubber rake). I am finding out that it's a lot rarer than I first thought.. 15 thousand and some change made compared to the 171000 fords.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
tubman

I'll second the guys who say try a reversed eye front spring. I put a Posie's in my '36 and it gave me a little over 2 inches which I thought worked great. It may be a sacrilege to some on here, but I think an extra 1 inch drop using longer shackles is not enough to cause any serious handling problems; you'll probably have to make your own, though. The rest you can do with tire sizing. Plus, you won't have to deal with removing spring perch pins, which can be very difficult on a car of this age. Of course, I always take the easy way out.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
supereal

Check with Chassis Engineering. They have everything needed to safely lower the car. Their web site is www.chassisengineeringinc.com
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
bchrismer

Good looking Merc!

Nostalgia Sid's http://droppedaxles.com is the guy I would recommend for a dropped axle, if you are going to have yours dropped. I don't know about the Mercury axle widths to know whether yours is more like the '37-41 Ford or like a '46-48.

On my '40 stake truck, I didn't use a dropped axle, but did go with a Posies reversed eye spring, resulting in about a 2" drop. A reversed eye in the back would do nicely, too.

StreetRodder.Net The FUN is in the RUN!!!
bchrismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
LRS30

Thanks guys, we are wanting to keep it pretty original, not cutting anything up mind you but don't want it sitting like a farm truck either. I don't mean to offend anybody by that either, it's just a preferred look that we are wanting.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
flatjack9

I've got a reversed eye spring on my 39. I run 195-15's on the front a 225-15's on the rear. See my avatar.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote