Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
PhoenixFear

Default Applying for title

I went to a registration place to ask a few questions about applying for a lost title for my truck. They said the truck needs to be running, I'll have to tow it up there so they can verify it, and I need to tell them what it is worth. If it is worth past a certain amount they'll need to bond it. Also, I need to weigh the truck as well. It is in California. I have a few questions.
- I'm not sure of the amount it is worth, but I don't know if I should put down an amount they'll need to bond or not?
- Has anyone gone through this issue and what would be the easiest way to do this?
- Does the truck really need to be running or can I just drag it up to have it verified? I'd rather get this paperwork done sooner than later. Thanks.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Applying for title

If you just "lost" the title and know whose name is on it all you have to do is fill out a simple form at DMV to get a duplicate title. I assume there is more to the story than that? I would double check the requirement to weigh the truck while you point out that according to the California Motor Vehicle Code you do not have to have commercial plates on your truck because it is pre 1936 (I don't know if this affects the requirement for weighing). Any chance they would accept some printed source for weight, if they say yes maybe someone can come up with one.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-01-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
37fordpickup

People ask me all the time if I want to move back to California where I was born and raised. Hell no! I just titled two antiques here in Tennessee and even with the origanal titles all I had to do was fill out an affidavit. 3 weeks later the titles were in my mailbox.
37fordpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
PhoenixFear

I'm not sure whose name it is in. It hasn't been in the DMV system in decades. I never mentioned the year of the truck to the lady. I would rather just put the truck on a trailer and tow it up there and have them figure it out, I'm not sure why it has to run though. It is easier to push without a drivetrain in it.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
jack in san diego

You do need to have the truck weighed. Just go to a moving van place that has a scale. Take the truck on a trailer, have it weighed, then take the truck off the trailer(at home) then return to have the trailer weighed. The difference is the weight of the truck. Take a Bill of Sale for the truck to DMV (better yet take it to local AAA office, if you have a membership). AAA is much easier to deal with. The AAA will find a Vin# on the frame top near the steering box, and use that for identification. Most old trucks titles have been lost, and DMV won't have a record that goes that far back. Good luck, it can be done! Jack

Post me if you need more info!
jack in san diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
jack in san diego

the truck does not have to be running, and when you get the title, have it registered as a Non operating vehicle until you do get it finished, cost should only be about $15 per year until you finalize it.
jack in san diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Roger/Sacramento

I just got my license today in Calif. I had a pink from Arizona. Since it was a pickup I needed a weight slip and the DMV did the vin. verification on the frame. I asked if it could be non -commercial plates. Pickups are always licensed as commercial.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
TJ

Although you didn't specify, it sounds like you went to a DMV office. Check around and find a licensed registration service. They cost a little money ,but well worth it to avoid DMV. If the truck hasn't been licensed in decades there should be no record of it anywhere in the DMV system.The registration service can check and verify the VIN. The registration service will help you navigate the system. Many DMV offices are absolutely no help and create more "roadblocks" than are necessary.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
PhoenixFear

AAA is the place I went to. I got a few papers for it but I have a ways to go before I can get a title for it apparently.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
blucar

I deal with a lot of unlicensed/titled vehicles in the course of my old car hobby. When I purchase a vehicle that has no registration and/or title I make sure that the VIN is in the correct location and that it is readable. I get a Bill of Sale from the seller that states that he/they are/were the registered owner of the vehicle.
I use a independent registration service, the same as used by regular dealers. The agent verifies the VIN, fills out the paperwork collects $125. from me for the service, I give her a blank check made out to the DMV for the DMV fees.. The whole process is very painless...
I always put the vehicle on NON-Op, most times I get license plates, title, etc.. Of course this requires insurance which is not a big deal if you deal with a company like Hagerty.. I list the vehicle as under construction...
I go ahead and get the license plates while the car is being worked on because I never have to deal with the issue again.. If I choose to sell the vehicle while I am working on the car, which is usually the case, I am selling a car/vehicle with a clear title and plates..
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
AAA is the place I went to. I got a few papers for it but I have a ways to go before I can get a title for it apparently.
In California you will have to load the vehicle onto a trailer and take it to a CHP office to have the VIN verified... The DMV will no longer do this, nor can a peace office, Sheriff, etc., like in the old days...
An independent registration service is authorized by the DMV to verify VIN's..
I don't believe the Auto Club can verify VIN's either..
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Bob C

You should not have to get the truck weighed as it is exempt from weight fees.
9401. (a) Motor vehicles manufactured in or prior to 1936, are exempted from the payment of the weight fees provided for in Section 9400.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

Ok, I do this a lot in CA. Simply walk into the DMV and ask for an "Application For Title". Fill it out. Take you vehicle to the verification line. It does not have to be running. Go back inside and pay some money and the title will arrive in your mailbox in two-three weeks. In RARE cases the DMV examiner will refer you to the CHP for a more thorough verification. This is not a problem rather just a bump in the road. The fact that your vehicle has not been registered in seven or more years makes this a piece of cake as its records have been purged. When filling out the Application For Title be sure to tell them that this car has been on your family property as long as you can remember. Keep it simple. Remember that the DMV only knows what you tell them. NEVER TELL THE DMV THAT A VEHICLE WAS BUILT FROM PARTS.
PS You can also do this at your local AAA office and they are much nice than the DMV.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
dude

A lot of times ,you can get different info from the DMV. Call your Capital DMV and inquire. You may find the person you dealt with, may be a rookie.
Be carefull about stated valve,as that may be the TAX you will be paying.
You can get a weight of the vehicle off the internet.