Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Texas Tom

Default What is value of original hubs?

I have a dozen or so Model A brake drums with hubs attached. These are steel drums that are well worn and no longer safe to use.

Is it worth the effort/expense to remove the original hubs for potential future use on new cast iron drums? Or should I just tote the drums/hubs to a metal recycler and be done with them?
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Jazzjr

Default Re: What is value of original hubs?

Check out what hubs are going for on e-bay, sell them their, or put them on the FB for sale page, w/make an offer. If you cut out the studs withe the $90 swedge cutter, you would have to increase the selling Price. Some where, some one wants them!
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would never toss a good part. Ford hasn't made this hub for some time, and aren't original parts the best?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Persons who provide cast iron drum services usually need good used hubs to provide with new cast iron drums.

These individuals will tell you that they prefer to receive the old steel drums "with" mounted hubs because many beat up the original hubs out of alignment while incorrectly removing the five (5) wheel lugs.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Bubby Sharp in KY

Texas Tom, You can cut out the studs with a 5/8 " metal cutting hole saw . If you have a drill press set speed to about 400 rpm , use coolant or cutting oil , and let the hub float on the drill press table . If you tie the hub down solid it will probably strip the teeth on the hole saw . Bubby Sharp in KY
Bubby Sharp in KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I gotta tell you that more and more I am finding hubs are more "marginal" than they are good. A lot of these hubs we find have issues that you don't see what they are until some checking has been made. Take fronts for example. I would venture a guess that 25% of them we get have the races 'staked' to tighten them. In other words, a race (either worn or incorrect size) was installed after a prick punch was used to swell the metal to hold the race better. Often times the race is not in the center any longer which can cause a brake drum not to be centered or a wheel to have wobble.

The same with rear hubs. Using a bore scope, look down inside the taper and often times you will see scoring or wear caused by a broken key or being run too loose on the axle. The same wear thing with the hub bearing area. Will Cronkrite turned me onto this when he was going through his 'stash', and quite often we find hubs where the race area is worn. Two things happen because of this, ...first the wear allows the drum to ride higher where the brake shoes are no longer centered. And second, the wear is usually greater at the outside edge than on the inner area, so with a new bearing installed, it tries to twist the bearing causing premature bearing wear.

I have used quite a few of the newly manufactured hubs however that has only happened in the last couple of years so I cannot say how the long-term (< 50k miles) longetivity will be.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Brent: I doubt if many of us are going to be around for 50k on any of our A's. Much less so for a fine pointer. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Jim Parker Toronto

Like Brent says, good original hubs are getting hard to find, and the replacements are expensive. I am sure that someone will want them. If I was closer..... Have them checked before you toss them.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Brent: I doubt if many of us are going to be around for 50k on any of our A's. Much less so for a fine pointer. JMO
Paul in CT

Well maybe so from your expectations but I have several customers that we have done cars for that have in the 30-40 thousand mile range on their cars now. Remember, the majority of our customers have us restore their vehicle to an authentic looking driver-type vehicle where they can safely & reliably drive it. Two owners in particular use their vehicle as a daily driver, ...weather permitting. I think there are several people here that do the same including Mark Maron. Therefore my point with my original comment was if the new reproduction hubs can go 50,000 plus miles without premature wear, then in all likelihood they should be considered a satisfactory replacement item.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
modelAtony

BRENT'S right the miles will really add up quick if you get out and drive. I've got over 50,000 on my new engine and that's in about 4 years. There is alot of people that have lots of tour miles out there. have fun modelAtony Lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

I would leave the hubs and drums assembled and let the eventual buyer deal with removing them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote