Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default Carter's Cut and Cover Shop, Beardstown, Illinois

I think they may have closed up shop in the last few years, but they used to be a good source of pretty decent Model A Ford interiors.

My father-in-law bought one of their interior kits for his 1930 Coupe in 1972, and it is still showing well, it has held up very very nicely. My wife did most of the installation back then. He is more of a chassis/mechanical guy

Anybody know if they are still around? I was looking at a 1969 issue of The Restorer on MAFCA's flash drive they sell, and saw their ad and that made me think about them.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
gz

Default Re: Carter's Cut and Cover Shop, Beardstown, Illinois

I think they have been out of business for quite some time.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
Mike Peters

Default Re: Carter's Cut and Cover Shop, Beardstown, Illinois

I ordered a complete interior and top kit for a 28 roadster about 15 years ago from Carters. Sent the money at the time of order. 9 months later, no kit, nothing. Tried calling, just get answering machine. Nothing. So I sent a letter threatening legal action. A month later the kit arrived minus one rumble seat panel. I made my own panel and let it go at that. the rest of the kit fit well and car looked good after installation.
It just happened that we had to go to Kansas to a farm meeting during the period when we were waiting for Carter to make an interior kit for us. So we took a side trip to Beardstown, Illinois to see what was going on. Went to the address and found a very dilapidated building with a very narrow walking path through the weeds to a crumbling step to a door. It was a Saturday, so I looked though a window and saw an upholstery shop inside. Industrial sewing machine, fabric scraps, etc. OK, so the place is legit, I guess. Could contact no one, so went on to Kansas. Sent the letter when we arrived back home a few days later.
Fast forward about 12 years. Took a trip down to Arkansas and just for fun, went to Beardstown once again to see what happened to Carters cut and cover. That old building is in ruins. Roof caved in. Block walls barely standing.
Carter did very good work back in the day, but is now loooong gone.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote