Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Letting State officials drive your A

have a friend who sells a "registration" or two in TX-never an inspection/drive...................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
scooder

All this title stuff has a question in my mind. Someone mentioned matching VIN as we all know on a Model A the number is under the cowl area subrail, unseen with the body on. Over here (UK) we have to cut a hole in the subrail so they can read the number. They (The registration authority) won't accept a complete running frame as a car, it has to have the body on it. How do you guys make the frame number advisable to the suits?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #23
ronn

pull the fender...............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #24
MBI Houston

In a polite way ask them:
Do you know how to set the spark, set the throttle, turn on the gas, double clutch a three speed and do they have insurance incase something happens to the car. Perhaps they will let you drive them in the car. Remember, they did not make the rules they are just trying to do their job. No matter what be nice to them!!!!
MBI Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #25
James Rogers

Hand him the key and the hand crank and tell him to have at it. I would probably shut the fuel off also and not say anything.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #26
Model A Man

I agree with MBI Huston, be polite it goes along way. You could always give him/her a lesson on how to start and drive a Model A. They may just fall in love with the car and want to look for one for themselves.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #27
Tim B.

I'd just hand them they key with a smile and sit quietly in the passenger seat. When they give you the deer in the headlights look just ask if they'd like you to drive. You both will be relieved. Tim
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #28
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
Sometime this week I will be letting a state inspector drive my A for the purpose of receiving a bonded title. The whole issue with that is very frustrating and ridiculous. On top of that, somebody who more than likely will not know how to operate my sedan , is going to attempt to drive it. More annoying. I'm still learning how to drive it properly and I've had half a year to practice. I'm afraid to see what happens. How do y'all deal with it when you have no choice but to let someone else drive your baby?
Sounds rather suspicious to me. The DMV once entered GASOLINE in the engine space on the title of a DIESEL powered truck owned by a company I used to work for. After not being able to convince the DMV that they had made a mistake, the final conclusion was that I take the vehicle to DMV for an inspection. Upon my arrival there, the INSPECTOR had no idea as to DIESEL vs GASOLINE. I pulled the engine cover up and proceeded to explain the differences between the two. When I was done, the inspector said well you sound like you know what you are talking about and the matter was corrected. Oh the Bureaucratic Hoops through which we have to jump. Is it all just a circus act?

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #29
sidevalve8ba

I hope you follow up on this thread and let us all know how the "test drive" went.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
Growley bear

Please keep us informed as to the outcome of this. I wouldn't think that any government branch would want to assume any liability in this regard. Have you consulted an attorney? I would ASSUME (I love that word) that you have legal rights that should be investigated before turning some cowboy loose with your pride and joy. (No disrespect meant toward cowboys) there is a big difference between driving a Model A and herding one who knows where. My suggestion is to proceed with caution. We allowed the government into our cars with seat belts and disc brakes. We certainly don't want the government driving our cars too. Make the DMV prove that the inspector has working knowledge of your car etc. I know that the GOVERNMENT will have the last word, but you can't just roll over on this.Just my three cents worth.

Chet
Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #31
1wonton
BANNED

He's not going to hurt that old Model A, don't worry about it.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #32
roccaas

Sounds like the old story about the State Trooper that pulled over a classic car, just so he could tell his Sergeant that he'd put his foot up on the running board.

At least they don't want to "test" your shotguns or your new swimming pool.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #33
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
He's not going to hurt that old Model A, don't worry about it.
I would worry about it, but that is just me.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #34
juke joint johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
All this title stuff has a question in my mind. Someone mentioned matching VIN as we all know on a Model A the number is under the cowl area subrail, unseen with the body on. Over here (UK) we have to cut a hole in the subrail so they can read the number. They (The registration authority) won't accept a complete running frame as a car, it has to have the body on it. How do you guys make the frame number advisable to the suits?
Martin.
Scooder that sounds to severe to me cut a hole in the subrail !!!
Most people I know buy a new chassis plate at a swap meet and stamp the number on it then screw it on the firewall.

It worked for me

JohnCochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #35
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
...Most people I know buy a new chassis plate at a swap meet and stamp the number on it then screw it on the firewall...
See this in the swap meet:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83834
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #36
heneste

You could try and ask them nicely if it would be ok for you to drive them around in the car as alot of the controls are manually adjusted unlike today's cars and some of the design is primitive (i.e. non-synchronized tranny)

Maybe only ask this if they haven't been familiar with driving an A though. (You don't want to come across as implying that they don't know what they are doing or don't have the authority to inspect your car.)

Good Luck with the inspection.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #37
dumb person

Vehicle inspectors have broken my gearbox before. And the window wipers, somehow. i have no idea how. There is something wrong with people these days, might be impatience?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #38
Keith True

I was looking at my old inspection manual from when I had inspection stickers in the late 70's.We were supposed to road test all vehicles,and to observe any wandering,pulling when travelling,or pulling when braking.We were supposed to lightly apply the parking brake while moving,and feel for noticeable effect.We were to observe speedo action,making sure it was smooth,not jerky or erratic.We were to listen for clunks,bangs,or rattles,and investigate any that may be problematic,such as in the front end or broken shocks,springs,and control arms in the rear.We were to roll up all windows to check for cracks,and make sure all door latches worked inside and out.The whole time I did inspections I never test drove a car.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #39
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
Scooder that sounds to severe to me cut a hole in the subrail !!!
Most people I know buy a new chassis plate at a swap meet and stamp the number on it then screw it on the firewall.

It worked for me

JohnCochran
Hello John, I'm aware that some inspectors are happy with the new stamped plate. But some will only accept the original stamping in the original place, and these buggers know where it's ment to be. And with that and the fact they want the body on, the hole is the only option. The most recent I can remember was Richard Thomas (if my brain ain't let me down)with his A pheaton. He to'd and throw'd that A a few times till they accepted it.
Martin.

Last edited by scooder; 05-02-2014 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #40
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
Sometime this week I will be letting a state inspector drive my A for the purpose of receiving a bonded title. The whole issue with that is very frustrating and ridiculous. On top of that, somebody who more than likely will not know how to operate my sedan , is going to attempt to drive it. More annoying. I'm still learning how to drive it properly and I've had half a year to practice. I'm afraid to see what happens. How do y'all deal with it when you have no choice but to let someone else drive your baby?

I guess in the end I'd ask to them to quote the law in your state requiring them to drive your car... Seems fishy to me and if they give it to you, them ask someone else the the BMV the same question...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote