Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 AM   #41
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: Oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Boise View Post
I like the Delo 400 as it is a 15-40 weight and has some zinc in it as it was formulated for diesels.. Just remember, *any* oil is better than none at all

- Dave in Boise
If it's dello le, then it does not have zinc. I don't think you can buy the old dello anymore. Thanks
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #42
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
I tend to agree with you. The valve spring pressures are very low in an A. I still don't take any chances though and always use a zinc enhanced oil supplement in my cheap store brand oil. I change my oil about 3 times a year and figure it's a low price to pay for peace of mind.
Exactly! Why not coat the metal in your engine with anti wear materials ???
Everyone wants to upgrade everything else, why not your oil.?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:14 AM   #43
DougVieyra

Before I drain my engines oil I drive the car around for 15 minutes or so, to heat up the oil. Oil drains a LOT easier when it is warm. It drains faster and more thoroughly. While the oil is draining, I stand on the running boards (one at a time) and 'jiggle' the car from side to side to help 'slop' the oil from cavities, etc.

I then kick myself when I discover that I forgot to put the drain pan down !

I then collect the used oil and put back into quart oil containers, to 'repurpose' it as chainsaw bar oil. Lots of 'kick' about how this is NOT a good thing to do. But then some people go to the end of the block, looking for a crosswalk to cross the street. I just wait for the traffic to clear and then walk across the street - without the crosswalk. And I have been using 'repurposed' engine oil on my chainsaw bar-chain for 50 years, without incident.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #44
Mitch//pa
BANNED

This thread is 4 years old. Since then the fordbarn scientists discovered zinc is not needed in our A mills
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #45
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
This thread is 4 years old. Since then the fordbarn scientists discovered zinc is not needed in our A mills
Four years old and I didn't contribute and with all my Model A knowledge too.... Must be getting old, now I can't remember all that knowledge.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #46
SuperDave

A few years ago, a friend bought his first model A. I helped him with some basic chores on the car. He wanted to be able to do some things by his self, which I encouraged . Until the day he called me and said he was going to change his own oil. I gave him the basic procedure. He called a little while later and said he was confused. seems he drained the oil but when he checked the dip stick....the oil was still there! I congratulated him for draining the transmission. He wanted to know if he could drive the car to the auto parts store to buy more transmission grease. I explained that was not an option and then, I told him how to re-install grease in the tranny. Needless to say, from then to present, I take care of any maintenance on his cabriolet!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #47
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
A few years ago, a friend bought his first model A. I helped him with some basic chores on the car. He wanted to be able to do some things by his self, which I encouraged . Until the day he called me and said he was going to change his own oil. I gave him the basic procedure. He called a little while later and said he was confused. seems he drained the oil but when he checked the dip stick....the oil was still there! I congratulated him for draining the transmission. He wanted to know if he could drive the car to the auto parts store to buy more transmission grease. I explained that was not an option and then, I told him how to re-install grease in the tranny. Needless to say, from then to present, I take care of any maintenance on his cabriolet!
He is very smart. He gets his work done, with out doing it his self.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #48
Brian in Wheeling

In the ole days, we used to buy used oil at the service stations for 10 or 15 cents a bulk quart. The guy would hand pump it out of the drum into a metal oil van with a spout from the drum all the oil change oil was put in...it would settle out! Probably not a lot of ZDDP in it! But it was oil and it was cheap. My dad was born in 1924.
Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #49
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msaby View Post
I am planning on draining the oil on my car this weekend.
* Do I just remove the drain plug and empty the pan?
* Is there a screen or filter of some sort?
* What oil is recommended?
* How may quarts of oil are needed?

Sorry for the basic questions, I am still learning the vehicle.

Thanks
Mike
Mike,

Model A owners are not born, they are learned skills, we welcome your questions like that here.. They are many folks here with a life time of learning under their belts to help out... Keep the questions coming.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote